April Weather in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Took three warm days to accomplish, but we’re finally seeing signs of life..neighborhood is greening up:

xKfx1Jl.jpg

AUZ4mh1.jpg

RJjOEzF.jpg

iaFRcka.jpg

5JVSblJ.jpg

GlgXQgw.jpg

• Like 1

SEA is around 3.50 inches for April now.   Normal for the entire month is 2.71 inches.    

1991 - 6.53

2013 - 5.89

1996 - 5.37

1993 - 4.54

1997 - 4.32

SEA is less than an inch away from a top 5 wettest April ever... and that could happen by tomorrow (on the 15th with much more rain ahead).

Well... that did not take long.   Even faster than I thought.  

SEA has just passed the April 1997 total. 

Next up is 1993 at #4 which will probably happen by 10 or 11 p.m.

This is officially a top 5 wettest April at SEA... and its only 14th day of the month!   That is amazing.   This is about as wet as the first 2 weeks of April has ever been here.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Final scores. Fewest number of error points (total degrees missed by) wins.

SEA winner: GHwxChris

SEA rankings, best to worst:

GHwx: 20pts

SEAwxGuy: 21pts

Geos: 21pts

Flatiron: 25pts

Jesse: 29pts

FrontalSquall: 29pts

Justin: 32pts

Jim: 34pts

PDX winner: Also GHwxChris.

PDX rankings, first to worst:

GHwxChris: 20pts

Dewey: 27pts

Flatiron: 28pts

Jesse: 29pts

SEAwxGuy: 31pts

Geos: 31pts

Justin: 39pts

FrontalSquall: 41pts

Overall winner: GHwxChris

Overall rankings, first to worst. (Dewey and Jim didn’t qualify since they only guessed one station).

GHwxChris: 40pts

SEAwxGuy: 52pts

Geos: 52pts

Flatiron: 53pts

Jesse: 58pts

FrontalSquall: 70pts

Justin: 71pts

Don’t think I made any addition errors, but it’s possible since I rushed through this pretty quickly.

Me and snow_wizard are very passionate about winter weather and it sometimes gets to our heads. It showed in this contest with us finishing last for our respective cities. We will do better next time.

Side note... the city of Snoqualmie is now over 9 inches of rain for April.    The April record at Snoqualmie Falls is 8.74 inches.   

Assuming Snoqualmie Falls has received about the same amount of rain as Snoqualmie... we might have already broken the record for the wettest April ever recorded in the Snoqualmie Valley.    That is even more amazing given that the month is not even half over.  

And approaching one foot of rain here so far this month.    The wettest April ever recorded at Palmer (at my elevation) is 12.85 inches in 1937.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Well... that did not take long. Even faster than I thought.

SEA has just passed the April 1997 total.

Next up is 1993 at #4 which will probably happen by 10 or 11 p.m.

This is officially a top 5 wettest April at SEA... and its only 14th day of the month! That is amazing. This is about as wet as the first 2 weeks of April has ever been here.

It has definitely been impressive how wet and warm it's been the past 4 years. No doubt about that.

I feel as if Tim may have had some kind of mental break... Poor guy is stuck on a loop. As if something is short circuiting upstairs.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I feel as if Tim may have had some kind of mental break...

I am actually fascinated now.   Morbid fascination.

Its been so insanely wet this April that its more interesting than annoying at this point.  

And as I have mentioned 3 times now... I sat in a repair shop for 6 frickin hours today and came home to a wife and daughter in bed and my sons at work.   I did talk and Skype a couple of my relatives in MN experiencing their blizzard from afar since they were trapped at home with nothing to do.  :)

It has also been one of the wettest April days ever in Seattle... in the top 10.    Looks like its the #6 or #7 wettest April day ever recorded at SEA by my calculation.

Probably due in part to the massive blizzard in the Midwest blocking up the flow.  

Hey guys! Did I miss anything new and insightful on the forum today?

Rainfall records dropping like flies up here... pretty much the norm since 2014.    So you did not miss anything new.   ;)

Hey guys! Did I miss anything new and insightful on the forum today?

Some drizzle at times today. Nothing very interesting. Certainly nothing insightful on here. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Still dry in Springfield

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Whoah, I just refreshed the page and a bunch of garbage is gone. My new spam blocker must be working well. :)

No need to engage in his trolling.     One of the wettest April days ever in Seattle... but it did not rain much at Silver Falls so it does not matter and probably did not even happen.      

No need to engage in his trolling. One of the wettest April days ever in Seattle... but it did not rain much at Silver Falls so it does not matter and probably did not even happen.

Pretty normal April weather for most of the region, but it rained a bunch in North Bend so that doesn’t matter and we all need to look at slightly different variations of the same post 17 times.

• Like 1

Pretty normal April weather for most of the region, but it rained a bunch in North Bend so that doesn’t matter and we all need to look at the same post 17 times.

I have been talking mostly about Seattle today.    Like you endlessly track everything that happens in Portland.  

Its not just here.   Top 4 wettest April ever at SEA already on the 14th day of the month is impressive.  

OLM set a rainfall record today as well... 1.54 inches so far on the day.

OLM is at 5.57 inches for April... this is now the 4th wettest April ever recorded there as well.

The weather has been great this month; at least 2 sunny days for every rainy day and everything is lush and green. We're starting to make up for the near record dry March. Couldn't ask for a much better April IMO.

Couldn't be more opposite here. Only one small section of Vancouver Island is abnormally dry, not near record breaking dry for March. http://www.agr.gc.ca/eng/programs-and-services/drought-watch/canadian-drought-monitor/?id=1463575104513

One more...  

Hoquiam is at 8.29 inches of rain for April... already the 5th wettest April ever recorded there.

HQM, OLM, and SEA are all in the top 5 now.   With 16 days left it will be interesting to see how it plays out.  

might be April but weather there looks like January :lol:

Sure does.

Here is a live cam on I-94 in downtown Minneapolis.    Snow has temporarily let up... but the freeways look abandoned.   Normally would be very busy on a Saturday night at midnight. 

minn.png

Thank God next weekend is looking nice right now.  Today was the third consecutive weekend day to be a total washout.  I don't care if I get totally soaked to the bone tomorrow.  I have got to get some stuff done outside.  I absolutely hate spring in this area my least favorite season by far.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I don't think Tim is the only one complaining about rain.

http://cliffmass.blogspot.ca/2018/04/is-this-unusually-poor-spring-in.html

Also Scott S.

I’ve got 1.54” at Sea-Tac today which not only nearly triples the daily rain record (0.52”) But is top5 rainiest April day on record.

https://twitter.com/ScottSKOMO/status/985383020466028544

Thank God next weekend is looking nice right now.  Today was the third consecutive weekend day to be a total washout.  I don't care if I get totally soaked to the bone tomorrow.  I have got to get some stuff done outside.  I absolutely hate spring in this area my least favorite season by far.

You probably have not read through the other pages... but this is now the 5th wettest April day ever at SEA. 

Also the 4th wettest April ever now with 16 days to go.    In all fairness... this is as bad as the first 2 weeks of April has ever been.   Not to be expected even though it has basically happened in 2 consecutive years.    :)   

Gee... what have I been saying?   I am not even complaining now.   Its straight up impressively wet.

Tell Cliff and Scott that there was only some drizzle in Silver Falls, Oregon today so none of this matters.    :rolleyes:

You probably have not read through the other pages... but this is now the 5th wettest April day ever at SEA. 

Also the 4th wettest April ever now with 16 days to go.    In all fairness... this is as bad as the first 2 weeks of April has ever been.   Not to be expected even though it has basically happened in 2 consecutive years.    :)   

Very true, but it almost always takes forever for it to get really nice here.  This could easily be setting us up for another extremely dry summer I suppose.  I just want one season with a cold / dry winter and cold / dry spring.  I'm sure it will come eventually.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Very true, but it almost always takes forever for it to get really nice here.  This could easily be setting us up for another extremely dry summer I suppose.  I just want one season with a cold / dry winter and cold / dry spring.  I'm sure it will come eventually.

Yeah... definitely feeling a long dry summer a little more now.    

I thought we were heading in the right direction in March with some chilly, dry weather at times.    And then April comes along and says forget all of that... its back to warm and very wet as usual.  

Totally bizarre how streaky this season has been.  GOA ridge dominated autumn, terrible January through early Feb, GOA ridge dominated late Feb through most of March, terrible April.  Pretty good bet the next step will be a good run of drier weather with unusually cold nights once again.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Totally bizarre how streaky this season has been. GOA ridge dominated autumn, terrible January through early Feb, GOA ridge dominated late Feb through most of March, terrible April. Pretty good bet the next step will be a good run of drier weather with unusually cold nights once again.

Matches subseasonal forcing + wavetrain seasonality pretty well. Last winter was even more streaky in this regard, with episodes of GOA ridging mixed in with gargantuan jet extensions.

The GOA ridge will return soon enough, but probably not prolifically so until the EHEM monsoonal forcing kicks in. So perhaps late May and/or beyond. Until then it looks more like we continue with a higher than average wavenumber and the occasional dirty ridge offshore.