April 18th-19th Snowstorm

Money

The 00z UK made a big jump back north with the heavy band.  For a while this winter, snowfall was being spread out across Iowa much better than recent years.  However, recent systems have gone right back to normal, dropping big snow mostly on northern Iowa.

ukmet_acc_precip_conus_30.png

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

The 00z UK made a big jump back north with the heavy band.  For a while this winter, snowfall was being spread out across Iowa much better than recent years.  However, recent systems have gone right back to normal, dropping big snow mostly on northern Iowa.

attachicon.gifukmet_acc_precip_conus_30.png

I find it interesting, that just like in 2013, IA has been a magnet to winter storms in both March/April.  Back then, I wasn't around during the spring and was in AZ during the majority of that Spring.

Just started here. Lot of lightning.....bit of thunder and its sleeting.

Ya, no doubt...here's the first Severe T-storm warning...right near you

Severe Thunderstorm WarningSevere Weather Statement

National Weather Service Des Moines IA

552 AM CDT WED APR 18 2018

IAC023-069-181130-

/O.CON.KDMX.SV.W.0016.000000T0000Z-180418T1130Z/

Franklin IA-Butler IA-

552 AM CDT WED APR 18 2018

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 630 AM CDT

FOR NORTHEASTERN FRANKLIN AND NORTHWESTERN BUTLER COUNTIES...

At 552 AM CDT, a severe thunderstorm was located near Hampton, moving

northeast at 30 mph.

HAZARD...Quarter size hail.

SOURCE...Trained weather spotters.

IMPACT...Damage to vehicles is expected.

Sioux Falls getting raked with Heavy Snow...they may end up being close to the jackzone based on current radar imagery...precip shield is literally flowing from east to west in the defo zone.

MY FORECAST

Sioux Falls SD

sn.png

Heavy Snow Freezing Fog

30°F

• Like 1

yeah, the south trend yesterday was way off.  We did get heavy ice for a brief period though.  The latest NAM is reflecting this shift back north as the heaviest snow is now showing to mostly hit the northern 2 row of counties in Iowa.  And the southern most row in MN.  

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/nam/2018041812/021/snku_acc.us_mw.png

The south shift was a mirage.  It's a total nothingburger down here.  We didn't even get any thunder, just a bit of rain/sleet mix.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

This is what 2-4” of thunder snow looks like. I want my money back Craig for that stuff you smoke you sold me!

Seriously, cold and no snow in April is 15853686x worse than in January. Haven’t even hit 18” still for the season.

Haha, it is long overdue but its time to take this winter out back and shoot it already. Bring on warmer weather.

• Like 2

The south shift was a mirage. It's a total nothingburger down here. We didn't even get any thunder, just a bit of rain/sleet mix.

That’s fine with me. Let’s just get on to spring already. Hopefully we can get some good soaking rains around here in the next few weeks.

Some very solid snow reports coming in from northern Iowa, widespread 4-7" already.  Some places will easily get double digits.  The southern edge is just 75 miles further north than models indicated.  Models did ok on the northern side as many showed northern Iowa getting heavy snow, but the band isn't as wide as anticipated.  Not sure if it's dry air coming in from the south or what, but it just moved through in a hurry down here and now it's gone.