May 2018 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Yesterday with a high of only 58° Grand Rapids was one of the colder locations in the lower 48.

http://www.woodtv.com/weather/bill-s-blog/grand-rapids-was-one-of-the-coolest-places-in-the-us/1191639077

After today it looks to warm up and become almost summer like for the rest of this week and the start of next week. At this time it is cloudy with light rain falling here and a temperature of only 53° so far this May at GRR the mean temperature is 61.1° and that is good for a departure of +4.1° the high for the month so far is 83° and the low is 40° there has been 4.17” of rain fall (average to this date is 2.68” there will be no new May record as that is 10.01” set in 2001)

• Like 1

Weather radio went off last night for a severe thunderstorm warning in the Southeastern part of the county. Nice cell moving through here right now. Omaha, you're about to get hammered by a cell which could produce severe hail eventually. About time Omaha got a direct hit with heavy rain.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Basement still flooding - 9 days and counting BEFORE today's broken record  :rolleyes:

Thats awful man....thank goodness I put a sump pump. It really does the job.

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Cloudy and dry w possible showers today. Sunshine returning later today or tomorrow w full force. Big warm-up as well. Temps could be flirting w 90F by the weekend. My projected high is 88F.

April 2024:

Weather radio went off last night for a severe thunderstorm warning in the Southeastern part of the county. Nice cell moving through here right now. Omaha, you're about to get hammered by a cell which could produce severe hail eventually. About time Omaha got a direct hit with heavy rain.

Stormed pretty decent at my house about 8am this morning. Had a lightning strike knock out power for a few seconds too. I'm guessing maybe a quarter inch at my house as the heavier rain and training/redeveloping cells stayed to my south. Saw a report of pea sized hail but other than that just heavy rain and lightning across town.

• Like 1

Stormed pretty decent at my house about 8am this morning. Had a lightning strike knock out power for a few seconds too. I'm guessing maybe a quarter inch at my house as the heavier rain and training/redeveloping cells stayed to my south. Saw a report of pea sized hail but other than that just heavy rain and lightning across town.

It was nice to see a decent thunderstorm with heavy rain here in the Omaha metro. Picked up a quick half inch in my backyard, however a couple miles north look to have picked up 1-2 inches of rain. Lots of lightning and heavy downpours, however didn’t see any hail.

• Like 1

storms have kept redeveloping over parts of the metro. It will be interesting to see the final rainfall amounts and the spread across the area as it seems like they have mainly hit from west central Omaha and suburbs(Elkhorn) and east from there.

• Like 1

Wowzers....

..LONG DURATION EARLY SEASON HEAT WAVE AND RECORD TEMPERATURES

POSSIBLE LATE THIS WEEK THROUGH EARLY NEXT WEEK...

Temperatures will trend much warmer late this week through early

next week. Highs Thursday and Friday should reach the upper 80s to

lower 90s across the region. Scattered thunderstorms may keep

some areas slightly cooler, however.

The weather dries out for the holiday weekend into early next week

with even warmer temperatures expected. Near record highs in the

low to mid 90s are possible each day from Saturday through next

Tuesday. Peak heat indices Thursday through early next week will

be in the low to mid 90s.

Many will be outdoors this holiday weekend. While this level of

heat should be expected at times each summer, the quick transition

from winter in the last month may enhance the risk of heat

related illness for those active and unprepared.

• Like 1

The clouds make a major difference. Here it is still 90.5*F. The 4pm observation at KLNK, just 10 or so miles NW of me, was 87. At KOMA, it was 83*F at 4pm. It's clear here, fair at KLNK, and apparently overcast at KOMA. I can see the cloud wall off in the distance. Overcast areas are warming due to the nasty South wind.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

High CAPE and dew point with no capping tomorrow evening. Shear is way too low to warrant a real severe threat though. Storm development should be precluded. All that'll do is make it feel nasty tomorrow, likely even nastier than today. Very summer-like weather pattern.

Just like I was figuring, my house ended up with way less rain than about only 4-5 miles to my south. I had .57” in my gauge but 2-3” was common to my south. Local news reported 2” in 20 minutes at one location that caused some flooding and a closure of one of the main roads in town

Got over an inch of rain here at 114th at center yesterday morning, though radar says close to 1.40 inches. Looks like our next best shot at storms is Thursday night. Not a ton of shear, but dew points are high along with CAPE. 

• Like 1

2018-2019 Snowfall Totals So Far : 59.5"

For More Winter Weather Forecasts for 2017-2018 :

https://www.facebook.com/snowdayweather/

Ahhh, the sun is up on this gorgeous morning here in Chi.  The past few days have been so gloomy, damp, wet, and cloudy that it actually was taking a toll on my Mom who's here from AZ.  She's so used to the sunshine that it almost was making her depressed (don't blame her)!  Thankfully, there is nothing but sunshine through the extended!  Happy Hump day all!

This weekends weather reminds me of May '14 after such a chilly Spring, sudden summer appeared on MDW and the beaches were packed to the bone.  I recall watching WGN TV from AZ and seeing the craziness on North Ave beach that year.  Anyway, sign me up for this forecast...

Dd3sv-BW0AAvl4W.jpg

• Like 1

Today's weather pattern across the central CONUS may very well be a taste of what June will have in store.  Can you see the ridge across the ag belt in KS/OK and the "ring of fire" look to the north and trough near the GL's/SE Canada?

http://images.intellicast.com/WxImages/SurfaceAnalysis/usa_ICast.gif

Today's weather pattern across the central CONUS may very well be a taste of what June will have in store.  Can you see the ridge across the ag belt in KS/OK and the "ring of fire" look to the north and trough near the GL's/SE Canada?

Please for the love of God no.

Nice stretch of weather is in my forecast. Looking great y'all. Enjoy! MDW looks good, except for some pm storms that may dampened the holiday a bit. Doesn't look too bad though. More like sporadic t'stms.

April 2024:

Yes please. All day. All summer.

• Like 1

I kind of hope so as long as it's wet. Give me 90 degrees over 20 degrees any day!

As much as I hate heat, I'll take it at long as we're not stuck in this death ridge pattern all year. I hope long-range guidances are right in that the heat will back off in July and August.

Some fun facts. May 2018 will be a very warm at this time the mean temperature at Grand Rapids is 61.0° that is good for a departure of +3.6° The coldest it has gotten this month is just 40° and this will be the first May that has not seen a temperature of below 40 since 1998 Of course that June it did get down to 38° on June 8th There may be talk of how warm this next week looks to be but if fact you would have to go back to May of 2008 to find a May that did not have temperatures in the mid to upper 80’s and May of 2012 it reached 91 and in May of 2010 it reached 90 with several others have had 89 and 88 for the highest readings.

• Like 1

Parts of my area flirting w 90F this weekend holiday and a lot of the Midwest as well.

April 2024: