May 2018 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Alberto's rains will be reaching my area by late tomorrow and continuing in Thursday. Lets see how much heavy rain it provides.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Gorgeous day out there. Currently in the upper 80s w plentiful sunshine. :D

April 2024:

Some fun facts. Here in Grand Rapids April was -7.9° and so far May is +5.2° That is some month to month flip. Will have to see what the final numbers are but it looks like it will be the biggest flip in Grand Rapids recorded history.  Since Jan. 1, Grand Rapids has had 66 days that have been warmer than average, 79 days that have been colder than average and 3 days that were exactly average. Month by month going back to May of last year one can see a pattern change from warm to cold on around a 30 to  50 days period. Here is a month by month break down. May 2017 -1.1° June +1.1° July exactly average, August -2.1° September +3.7° (the month was below average until the 14th) with a record hot spell. October +4.2° (ended on October 24) November -1.5° December -4.8° (with 32.9” of snow) January +0.5° February +3.0° March -1.9° April -7.9° and so far May +5.2° if this continues it should be cool in June and then maybe heat up in late July or August. We shall see.

• Like 2

Another scorcher today, but not as hot. Temps yesterday soared to 101.8F. Today's high is expected to be near 90F.

Was that in your back yard? I do not see any official readings of over 100° I did have a reading of 100 but it gets touched by the sun late in the day.

• Like 1

Looks like things might be rocking here later this afternoon and evening. 12z NAM showing about 3500 J/kg of MLCAPE later today. Latest HRRR showing about 3000. SPC expanded the slight risk south to include the TC and Rochester.

SPC expanded the slight risk area as well here in Nebraska and Iowa, mostly to the north and west of Omaha. Things are looking good for some decent storm action here (damaging winds being the biggest threat) in my area as well, and some MUCH needed rainfall after this past weekend's scorcher. 

• Like 2

SPC expanded the slight risk area as well here in Nebraska and Iowa, mostly to the north and west of Omaha. Things are looking good for some decent storm action here (damaging winds being the biggest threat) in my area as well, and some MUCH needed rainfall after this past weekend's scorcher. 

It is looking rather promising that we will see some decent rainfall, as you mentioned we need all we can get right now.  It is crazy to see the lawns and landscape starting to show signs of stress after this weekends torch.

It is looking rather promising that we will see some decent rainfall, as you mentioned we need all we can get right now. It is crazy to see the lawns and landscape starting to show signs of stress after this weekends torch.

I'm lucky because my apartment complex has sprinklers, but grass in less wealthy neighborhoods/commercial areas is browning up pretty fast here. We need rain today as it avoided us like the plague yesterday. We've only had one downpour here this month and it only resulted in a half inch.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Was that in your back yard? I do not see any official readings of over 100° I did have a reading of 100 but it gets touched by the sun late in the day.

Actually no. Underground Weather reported a high of 101.8F.  Didn't know what to think about that. Sounded a little too extreme for me, but then again, who knows.

April 2024:

Alberto seems to be losing its punch, but, it is still carrying some heavy rains w it.

April 2024:

Looks like Lincoln is getting those insanely high precip cells before they merge into an MCS. Happy for you guys!! Hope you score tonight!

Rooting for the sun to come out so we can destabilize things again. Dropped from the upper 80s to 72*F real fast with that first cell.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Cite pre-1980 non-adjusted data with the 1980+ data. No one does or will. Until then, there's no point in debate. We should throw snow and temperature records out that are pre-1980 also huh? Filter only temps that appear "too cold" while not even remotely questioning those that are too warm. Do the Arctic/Antarctic have the sensory coverage that the rest of the landmasses have? Nope. I know Antarctica doesn't. Cities are radiating 2-3°F+ into the temperature record. Undeniable fact also.

And 7+ BILLION people on this planet are doing nothing to change the climate either huh? We're not on that big of a rock.

MN, IA and E NE lit up like Christmas trees right now. Storms everywhere. Just had some pea sized hail here and torrential rains

Somehow someway all the action is once again developing or going around Omaha for whatever crappy reason... I am hoping the heavier storms off to the south keep moving north and hold together. I still haven’t seen a raindrop in my neighborhood so far this afternoon.

Somehow someway all the action is once again developing or going around Omaha for whatever crappy reason... I am hoping the heavier storms off to the south keep moving north and hold together. I still haven’t seen a raindrop in my neighborhood so far this afternoon.

These summertime storms are frustrating at times as the coverage varies so widely over a short distance. I experienced 2” of rain and hail here at work while my wife at home 5 miles away said the ground is barely wet.

• Like 1

And 7+ BILLION people on this planet are doing nothing to change the climate either huh? We're not on that big of a rock.

When CO2 is blamed and we are nowhere near some of the highest recorded (and documented) levels of CO2 in history, you tell me. Theory will never be law. Never ever. When a climate scientist cannot really fully say how the teleconnections in the atmosphere work or do a 3 month lead forecast, they have no right to be limiting freedom or the ability of folks to be able to afford to live by protesting or changing regulatory law. That's all I have to say about that.

• Like 2

Picked up only about .10 of much needed rainfall (guess we need to take what we can get right now) from the first round of showers and a few rumbles of thunder in Southwest Omaha. Now waiting to see what the second round brings us later this evening.

• Like 1

This is what the drought doctor ordered. Constant moderate rain. Not heavy enough to cause street flooding concerns, but heavy enough to make a dent in our precip deficit for the month and finally soak the ground up a bit to make the grass green again. 64.9*F with the rain-cooled air right now.

• Like 1

This is what the drought doctor ordered. Constant moderate rain. Not heavy enough to cause street flooding concerns, but heavy enough to make a dent in our precip deficit for the month and finally soak the ground up a bit to make the grass green again. 64.9*F with the rain-cooled air right now.

Great to hear! Glad you got some needed moisture.

While awaiting today's forthcoming rains of tropical origin from #Alberto, it's almost fitting that we'll see heavy downpours later today that will likely smash the old wettest monthly May on record.  All we need is about .25" of precip to set a new monthly record.

It is impressive to see the spin on radar from Alberto even though it has tracked over land this far north...feeder bands across C IL are pouring rain in areas that need it badly.

precip_30d_accum_central_2018052912.png

• Like 1

While awaiting today's forthcoming rains of tropical origin from #Alberto, it's almost fitting that we'll see heavy downpours later today that will likely smash the old wettest monthly May on record. All we need is about .25" of precip to set a new monthly record.

It is impressive to see the spin on radar from Alberto even though it has tracked over land this far north...feeder bands across C IL are pouring rain in areas that need it badly.

precip_30d_accum_central_2018052912.png

Can't stress how GREAT that map is in comparison to where we all were just a short time ago. Very nice.

• Like 3

Can't stress how GREAT that map is in comparison to where we all were just a short time ago. Very nice.

I agree, more recently, parts of the central Plains and into the MW that have been terribly dry are starting to catch up.  Looks like the next 10 days there will be multiple chances of more precip.  Looking good overall as we head into June and glad to see the drought not expanding as we head into summer.  I think the blocking that will develop in early June may even suppress some of the systems farther south that need it more.

I agree, more recently, parts of the central Plains and into the MW that have been terribly dry are starting to catch up. Looks like the next 10 days there will be multiple chances of more precip. Looking good overall as we head into June and glad to see the drought not expanding as we head into summer. I think the blocking that will develop in early June may even suppress some of the systems farther south that need it more.

Yes. Was just checking the AO a few mins ago. Should start to see blocking develop any day now. Great stuff and should be enough to help knock this humid ridge around a bit as we get into and through June.

• Like 1

Of course, all that rain and moisture petered out right before it hit the Missouri River valley... glad you got some good rain out of this though. I think I picked up a whopping .15 from this storm system. Looks like drought conditions will be upcoming around here soon if this keeps up.

Of course, all that rain and moisture petered out right before it hit the Missouri River valley... glad you got some good rain out of this though. I think I picked up a whopping .15 from this storm system. Looks like drought conditions will be upcoming around here soon if this keeps up.

00z Euro continues to show widespread 1-2" totals for OMA later this week from Friday night storms.  Looks like a solid nocturnal set up with an enhanced nightime jet?  06z GFS picking up on it as well...

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_ncus_13.png

00z Euro continues to show widespread 1-2" totals for OMA later this week from Friday night storms. Looks like a solid nocturnal set up with an enhanced nightime jet? 06z GFS picking up on it as well...

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_ncus_13.png

Fingers crossed that this happens... after a decent day today it’s back to the heat wave tomorrow and Friday. I was confident we would see some good storms yesterday around here, pretty disappointed once again. Story of the year, it has to turn around soon - hopefully this weekend as the Euro is showing currently.

Muskegon had a all-time May temp of 96.  The Muskegon beach recorded a temp of 93.7 degrees.  That is amazing considering the water temp of 58 degrees.  East wind.  

Muskeqon set new all time record May temperatures on back to back days. That 95 was just set on Monday. The east wind helped no and late of a lake breeze later in the day also helped 

• Like 1

Hopefully some storms develop later today into tanite.

April 2024:

Per NOAA:

Lakeshore Flood Advisory
Coastal Hazard MessageNational Weather Service Detroit/Pontiac MI757 AM EDT Wed May 30 2018...INCREASING SOUTH TO SOUTHEAST WINDS AND WAVES WILL LEAD TOHIGH WATER LEVELS THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH TONIGHT...MIZ070-302000-/O.CON.KDTX.LS.Y.0007.180530T2000Z-180531T1400Z/Macomb-757 AM EDT Wed May 30 2018...LAKESHORE FLOOD ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM THISAFTERNOON TO 10 AM EDT THURSDAY...* Lake Shore Flooding...South to southeast winds with gusts to 30  knots will develop later today and continue into tonight. This  wind is expected to produce 2 to 4 foot waves. The wind and  waves will increase water levels along the Lake St Clair  shoreline in Macomb county.* Impacts...The Lake St Clair undisturbed water level is about 50  inches above chart datum. Flood elevation is 54 inches. The  high water level combined with the high wave action will have  potential to result in minor shoreline flooding and erosion.  Damage to docks, boat lifts, or watercraft anchored along the  shoreline will also be possible.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A Lakeshore Flood Advisory indicates that onshore winds and waveswill generate flooding of low areas along the lakeshore.* Prepare, plan and stay informed. Visit www.weather.gov/safety
  • Like 1

April 2024:

While it is unusual for it to get this warm in May today and tonight we are going to see something much more unusual. Today we will get rain from a tropical system in May. Between 1851 and 2015 there have only been 22 tropical systems in May. ( only 4 of them were Hurricanes)  At this time I have no knowledge of any of the 22 have brought moisture into Michigan!

At this time Grand Rapids is on track for this May to be the 6th warmest on record this is after April being one of the coldest on record.

The next item is that it looks to cool down as we head into June so at this time the up and down patter looks to continue. (wouldn’t it be odd if June was one of the coolest of record?)

• Like 2