California Drought-Weather Discussion

Utrex

For SoCal, this week will look like a continuation of a bad dream per NWS_LA:

"LONG TERM (THU-SUN)...

LONG TERM FCST LOOKS VERY DULL AND RATHER UNCHANGING. EAST PAC RIDGE 

TO THE SW WILL KEEP ANTICYCLONIC FLOW OVERHEAD WITH 582 DM HGTS. 

WEAK OFFSHORE FLOW FROM THE NORTH AND NEUTRAL FLOW FROM/TO THE EAST. 

LOOK FOR FOUR SIMILAR DAYS IN ROW WITH MOSTLY CLEAR SKIES AND ABOVE 

NORMAL TEMPS."

I would be losing my sanity if I lived down there.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I would be losing my sanity if I lived down there.

It is absolutely driving me crazy right now, and I have lived here my entire life, and I know that this year is so abnormal compared to most other years. The weather used to be more exciting down here in past winters, believe it or not, and we generally had enough variety of weather in most winters to be satisfying, but not these last two years. 

We are definitely prone to drought periods, but this recent dry period is in a league of its own and it has been absolutely horrible for anybody who likes a bit of variety in the weather, and has been horrible in terms of water supply in the state. This pattern seemed to start during the 2011-12 season, in which storms were coming down from British Columbia and the exact trajectory determined who would get rain and who wouldn't, and Norcal really started to get dry during this period. That year finished with just over 8" for Los Angeles. Then 2012-13 brought some rain in November and December, but nothing all that heavy. It was from January onward in 2013 when this drought pattern really became entrenched. Hardly any storms were able to come in from straight off the Pacific to bring a healthy dose to the state and that continued almost unabated until just a couple of weeks ago when Norcal finally had some stronger storms that hit the coast that just ended the other day. Socal hardly received any rain with these storms, and my total for February so far is a whopping .17".

I estimate that I have only received something on the order of 3.6" or 3.7" of rain here at my location since the beginning of January 2013! I will verify that with my records and will post an exact total when I do it. A good year will bring a similar amount rain in a winter month around here, and even La Nina years have had months that have exceeded 3.7" such as December 2010 and January 2008.

The February 1, 2014 Water Supply Index (WSI) and Bulletin 120 (B120) forecasts. The forecasts include observed conditions through the end of January.  The forecasts are posted at:

WSI:    http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/iodir/wsi

B120:   http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/iodir?s=b120

Forecast Summary:

The projected median April-July runoff in the major Sierra river basins ranges from 14 percent on the Tule River to 55 percent on the Pit River.  Forecasted median Water Year runoff ranges from 16 percent for the Tule River to 43 percent for the Total Inflow to Shasta Lake.  These first 4 months of this water year have been persistently dry, but remember California climate has also been persistently variable too.  The WSI forecast can be summarized as follows:

Sacramento River Unimpaired Runoff Water Year Forecast                    6.2 MAF

(50 percent exceedance)                                                                               (34 percent of normal)

Sacramento Valley Index (SVI)                                                                    3.7

(50 percent exceedance)                                                                               (Critical)

San Joaquin Valley Index (SJI)                                                                   1.1

(75 percent exceedance)                                                                               (Critical)

Runoff:

The low flows this winter are a true reflection of the lack of storm systems moving through California.  Monthly Flows from October through January have not exceeded 82 percent of normal for any forecasted river.  During January, no major Sierra rivers flowed at a rate greater than 45 percent of normal and the statewide average was 8 percent.  The January flows in the Sacramento River, San Joaquin River and Tulare Lake regions were 13, 6 and 7 percent of average, respectively. 

Precipitation:

Water Year 2013 -14 continues the persistent dry pattern. The Northern Sierra 8-Station Precipitation has been equal to or less than 25 percent of the monthly average for all months excluding October which was 27% of normal. January only added 1.2 inches of precipitation to the 8-Station total which amounts to just 13% of the historic monthly average.  The 4.5 inches recorded by the end of January in the Northern Sierra represents 17 percent of average to date and 9 percent of the average Water Year total. This seasonal total-to-date is the all time driest October through January since 1921.

The San Joaquin region is also behaving the same as the Sacramento with the same persistent dry pattern.  The San Joaquin 5-Station Index was equal to or less than 22 percent of the monthly average for all months excluding October which was 45% of normal. January added 1.7 inches of precipitation to the 5-Station Index (a half an inch greater than the Northern Sierra). This represents just 22% of the historic monthly average.  The 4.7 inches of precipitation recorded by the end of January in the San Joaquin region represents 23 percent of average to date and 12 percent of the average Water Year total.  This annual total is the 3rd driest October through January since 1905.

At the conclusion of the first four months of the water year, precipitation (based on all available reporting gages per basin) in the Sacramento River Region was 15 percent of average to date, the San Joaquin River Region was 21 percent of average to date, and the Tulare Lake Region was 24 percent of average to date.  Statewide, water year cumulative precipitation through January was 20 percent of average to date.  The Statewide cumulative precipitation through January was 10 percent of the historic water year average. 

Snowpack:

Snowpack is monitored using two complementary methods: automatic snow sensor (or “pillow”) readings and manual snow course measurements.  The snow sensors give us a daily snapshot of snow conditions while the manual snow course measurements provide a monthly verification of snow conditions in locations where snow has been measured in the same manner as far back as 100 years.

On February 1, snow sensors recorded a snow pack that was 5 percent of average in the Northern Sierra, 17 percent of average in the Central Sierra, and 20 percent of average in the Southern Sierra.  Statewide, snow water equivalent based on snow pillow data was 14 percent of the historical February 1 average and 9 percent of the historical statewide April 1 average.

Results from the 209 snow courses measured this month revealed a shallow snow pack with small, non-continuous areas of coverage.  Measurements in the Sacramento River Valley watersheds recorded a snow pack that is 5 percent of the historical February 1 average.  Measurements in the San Joaquin Valley watersheds indicated a snow pack that is 11 percent of the February 1 average while the snow pack for the Tulare Lake region was 12 percent of the February 1 average.  Statewide the snow pack was measured at 9 percent of the February 1 average and 6 percent of the historical April 1 average.

These measurements set the record for the driest statewide February 1 snowpack since World War II when the bulk of the existing snow course network was in place. There were 55 snow courses which had no snow water content available to be reported, while two courses could not be accessed via their normal means of transportation (snowmobile or ATV) because of the conditions within the watershed.  Several snow survey crews visited snow courses more than once to report the latest gains in the snow pack which came around February 1st.    

Weather and Climate Outlook:

After a dry October through January period, storms have arrived this February.  For the next six days storms track primarily across the northern third of the state. For some areas of the North Coast beginning tomorrow nearly 7 inches has been forecasted while up to 3.5 inches have been forecasted for the Upper Sacramento watershed.  Unfortunately, only a half an inch is forecasted for the Lower Sacramento and only trace amounts are forecasted for the San Joaquin watershed.  Over the Northern Sierra, the freezing levels will be at their lowest today, 7000 feet, and increase through Friday.  Current freezing levels are near 9000 feet over the central and Southern Sierra.  Rising freezing levels are expected through Friday.

The NWS Climate Prediction Center’s (CPC) one-month outlook for February, last updated on January 31, 2014, suggests increased chances of above normal temperatures for California. The only exception is a sliver of Northern California ranging from Redding northward with equal chances of above or below average temperatures. The same outlook predicts increased chances of below normal precipitation ranging from Sacramento southward. The portion of California north of Sacramento is predicted to have equal chances of above or below average precipitation.

The CPC’s three-month outlook (February through April), last updated on January 16, 2014, suggests increased chances of above normal temperatures for all of California. The same outlook predicts increased chances of below normal precipitation for California with the exception of the corner near Oregon and Nevada with equal chances of above or below average precipitation.

Next Update:

A Bulletin 120 Update for conditions on February 11 will be available Thursday, February 13.  The March 1, 2014 Bulletin 120 and Water Supply Index forecasts will be available on March 10, 2014.

If you have any questions regarding this forecast, please contact a member of the Snow Surveys staff.  We are happy to help.

Snow Surveys Staff Contact Information:

Dave Rizzardo, Chief (david.rizzardo@water.ca.gov)          916-574-2983

John King                    (john.j.king@water.ca.gov)                 916-574-2637

Steve Nemeth             (stephen.nemeth@water.ca.gov)       916-574-2634

Andy Reising               (andrew.reising@water.ca.gov)         916-574-2181

Sean de Guzman        (sean.deguzman@water.ca.gov)       916-574-2208

Richard Mora              (richard.mora@water.ca.gov)            916-574-2636

Important Links

Full Natural Flow Data:

Daily FNF

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/snowsurvey_ro/FNF

Monthly FNF

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/snowsurvey_ro/FNFSUM

Seasonal FNF

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/snowsurvey_ro/FLOWOUT

Precipitation Data:

Latest Northern Sierra 8-Station Precipitation Index

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryDaily?s=8SI&d=today

Northern Sierra 8-Station Precipitation Tabulation Table

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/products/8-Stations_Tab.pdf

Latest San Joaquin 5-Station Precipitation Index

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryDaily?s=5SI&d=today

San Joaquin 5-Station Precipitation Tabulation Table

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/products/5-Stations_Tab.pdf

2014 WY Precipitation Summary

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/precip/PRECIPSUM

Snow Data:

Latest Snow Sensor Report

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/snow/PAGE6

Latest Statewide Summary of Snow Water Equivalents

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/snow/DLYSWEQ

Monthly Snow Course Report

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/snow/COURSES

Extended Regional Forecasts:

California Nevada River Forecast Center 6 Day QPF and Snow Level Forecast

http://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/awipsProducts/RNOHD6RSA.php

Climate Prediction Center One-Month Outlook Forecasts

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/30day/

Climate Prediction Center Three-Month Outlook Forecasts

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/90day/

Drought Information:

California Drought Information

http://www.water.ca.gov/waterconditions/droughtinfo.cfm

U.S. Seasonal Drought Outlook

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/expert_assessment/seasonal_drought.html

P R I S M

So how do you SoCal people feel about this years fire issues ?

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Its a none issue cause its been so dry no new brush has been able to grow. 

The Santa Ana winds have been weaker than normal overall at least for my area the last couple of years, except for an occasional moderate to high-end moderate event like the one we had in mid-January and one that occurred last February sometime. The really strong events like we used to have in the 1990's and early 2000's don't seem to occur anymore for some reason. However, farther inland I have seen some news reports of fairly strong Santa Ana events these last two seasons, even though they have been weaker here in Orange.

Bad news: RRR, annoying ridge, stubborn ridge whatever is making a return in two weeks...

hey "Utrex", ...

Here below is my comment, ver-betum, posted to, .. 

Northern California rain at times this week; amplified North Pacific ridge to return. ?

The most recent blog-entry posted to .. The Weather California Blog

... Where I first saw something about the return of an additional at least, also potentially stronger ridge-patterning setup at out at about two weeks.

.. Working to keep the "spin" more positive where looking at all things more favorable and against the idea of a more significant drought potential at this point, .. Regarding the more active and wetter, overall pattern shift that you've pointed to above suggested where looking at the ensembles, .. Although the general projection looking out to 2 weeks is currently leaning toward some amount of, even more significant, ridging setting in again during later Feb., .. If there has in fact been a general shift toward wetter conditions at this point as a opposed to more, dryer, that transition could perhaps show up both as and with the current more southward movement and expansion of cold from the north working to squeeze out a bit more rain and snow than is currently being looked at as probable, this with and then perhaps the ridging forecasted, being only more short-lived, and a wetter regime similar in character to this one, returning again in early March.

Related:  http://theweatherforums.com/index.php?/topic/75-late-winter-2014-colder-air-movement-and-distribution-projections/?p=12636

---

It is as if everywhere else in the nation is enjoying dynamic weather except the Southwest where nothing is happening.  We can't even get dry fronts just to mix out the air.  The winds are weak and mostly offshore or neutral.  Parts of San Fernando/ Santa Clarita valleys were in the 90's the last few days. :blink:

At least there is no grass in the foothills so fires should be insignificant but the mountain forests are in dire conditions.  Is there any natural snow in the San Bernardino mts?

It is as if everywhere else in the nation is enjoying dynamic weather except the Southwest where nothing is happening.  We can't even get dry fronts just to mix out the air.  The winds are weak and mostly offshore or neutral.  Parts of San Fernando/ Santa Clarita valleys were in the 90's the last few days. :blink:

At least there is no grass in the foothills so fires should be insignificant but the mountain forests are in dire conditions.  Is there any natural snow in the San Bernardino mts?

hey happ. 

Per my own view, .. The main reason that the valleys that you've mentioned south, are warming to the degree that they have, along with also, for the more stagnant conditions south looked at more generally, is that all colder air masslooked at more broadlyis currently moving steadily more south daily at this point. For general reference sake here, where looking at this idea more in particularly, all cold should continue to do so through the 23rd. 

In any case, with this spread of cold south, all warmth generated south of it is being boxed in more and more. And so, with nowhere to go, both temps, and in fact pressure, are being caused to move upward.

This is both more typical and more apparent in warmer seasons where more moderating type cooler air has spread south, where looked at more broadly. But appears to be the case for where you are - leastwise and if more only, at this point. 

But this could (with emphasis) be a good thing. …. Cold could, press south far enough to steer some warmer, moisture .. your way. 

.. If I remember currently, the only real delivery of moisture and precip. that you've had more south this winterif a while agowas where a smaller low had moved down the coast, more just off the coast, and with its having done, spun something significant in toward you once it made it to where you are.

Main idea with all of this above, .. With main cold air's recent more stepped up main movement and pace east over the past few days, also (in addition to current spread more south daily) .. being set to slow steadily over the next 5 or so days, things have some chance of setting up, and could at least, more decently for you. 

Best I got. 

---

hey happ. 

Per my own view, .. The main reason that the valleys that you've mentioned south, are warming to the degree that they have, along with also, for the more stagnant conditions south looked at more generally, is that all colder air masslooked at more broadlyis currently moving steadily more south daily at this point. For general reference sake here, where looking at this idea more in particularly, all cold should continue to do so through the 23rd. 

In any case, with this spread of cold south, all warmth generated south of it is being boxed in more and more. And so, with nowhere to go, both temps, and in fact pressure, are being caused to move upward.

This is both more typical and more apparent in warmer seasons where more moderating type cooler air has spread south, where looked at more broadly. But appears to be the case for where you are - leastwise and if more only, at this point. 

But this could (with emphasis) be a good thing. …. Cold could, press south far enough to steer some warmer, moisture .. your way. 

.. If I remember currently, the only real delivery of moisture and precip. that you've had more south this winterif a while agowas where a smaller low had moved down the coast, more just off the coast, and with its having done, spun something significant in toward you once it made it to where you are.

Main idea with all of this above, .. With main cold air's recent more stepped up main movement and pace east over the past few days, also (in addition to current spread more south daily) .. being set to slow steadily over the next 5 or so days, things have some chance of setting up, and could at least, more decently for you. 

Best I got. 

Hi Richard

Cooler temps would be nice.  The first 9 days were in the 60's so far this month and several nights in the 40's.  I am just wishing for a March miracle like we have had in previous droughts. 

... March miracle like we have had in previous droughts. 

The best view, in my view, where looking at the potential for either whether more or less precip. set against that for more extreme drought at this point, is to note that the stronger period of dry during Dec-Jan transitioned to the strength and breadth of precip. that it did. 

Both, regulated largely - as I see it, by where the in fact the more plentiful cold air mass having been distributed through the broader mid-latitudes (main N. hem.) had been being directed during this period.  Basically, where considering the greater far west and the potential for main precip. generating systems, with main and more primary cold air's having moved / been steered either whether more or less directly south and having held to the western two-thirds of the Pacific. And then, with either whether longer or shorter wave patterning having been more in place and predominating (More amplified where shorter.) and with different types of ridging over us, deeper cold of course having spread south with the general patterning having then dipped south again, more east of the Rockies. 

I say, the best hope, is foror thatcold holds on to remaining plentiful and widespread south of 50°N, by degrees, through April. 

---

We are certainly due for a period of stormier weather down here in Socal and the SW. We are currently still in a -PDO, +AMO, ENSO neutral regime, which usually leads to drier than normal winters in Socal, much like the period of the late 1950's to early 1960's. However, the level of dryness we are experiencing this year is beyond ridiculous and even drier than I thought we would be at this point in the rainy season. I can't imagine the rest of the winter and early spring continuing to be as dry as the last few months and if it does remain dry for that period, then we are in unprecedented territory at least in the era of record keeping.

We are certainly due for a period of stormier weather down here in Socal and the SW. We are currently still in a -PDO, +AMO, ENSO neutral regime, which usually leads to drier than normal winters in Socal, much like the period of the late 1950's to early 1960's. However, the level of dryness we are experiencing this year is beyond ridiculous and even drier than I thought we would be at this point in the rainy season. I can't imagine the rest of the winter and early spring continuing to be as dry as the last few months and if it does remain dry for that period, then we are in unprecedented territory at least in the era of record keeping.

Yes, I think we are in uncharted territory w/ this drought.  Most native vegetation [oaks, sycamores] can handle long term drought.  I worry about an early and long fire season.

If the storm late next week verifies, it will be almost an exact replay of late February of 1991, in which a Pacific storm finally broke down the persistent ridge that had caused a drought so severe that mandatory water rationing rules were in effect in many communities.  That strong Pacific storm (which dropped nearly 4 inches in 2 days) opened the door for what became known as the "Miracle March," in which a series of storms dropped almost 6 inches of rain on Downtown L.A., and much of the region was saved from a crippling water shortage.

I remember it well, and I'm hoping for a repeat performance!

I am hoping for a March Miracle as well and I am really getting tired of all this warm dry weather that feels more like October and early November rather than February. I remember the 1991 March Miracle, in which significant rainfall fell throughout the month, which eventually led to the end of the 5 year drought CA had been experiencing. I think this winter has been drier than 1990-91 to the date of the storm in late February, but that winter was certainly very dry up to that point.

Some are referring to Friday's system as the first winter storm of the season for SoCal

Hope we pick up at least an inch.

Rain total: [jul-jun]: 1.75

I hope this is the beginning of a wetter pattern that brings on and off rain until at least late April. If the Friday storm is as big as predicted, it could be the largest storm in possibly two years.

I hope this is the beginning of a wetter pattern that brings on and off rain until at least late April. If the Friday storm is as big as predicted, it could be the largest storm in possibly two years.

We've got to get a trough with staying power.  Remember the rains well into May in 2011?

We've got to get a trough with staying power.  Remember the rains well into May in 2011?

I agree. I remember 2010-11 quite well, as that was the last really good winter we had despite a couple of long breaks in the rainfall, especially in January.

It is increasingly looking as if we are going to get a good soaking later this week and into the weekend as a lower-latitude storm system is forecast to actually make landfall in central and southern CA from the Pacific. What is different this time around is that the MJO has finally become active after a long period of being weak, and has moved into Phase 7 for the first time this season, which is allowing an extension of the East Asian jet. This is in great contrast to the type of systems we have been getting the last couple years that have had to circumvent the huge north Pacific ridge by going up into AK and Canada, and then diving down the west coast with very limited moisture due to the cold origin and over land trajectory. There appears to be another break from the rain next week, but hopefully it is not another long-winded dry spell, and that rain returns soon afterward.

I hope you guys can do well with the coming storm systems. I know you need it.

I hope so, too. We desperately need the moisture across the entire state.

I am also looking forward to the possibility of a significant El Nino later this year for next season, and if it is strong enough, chances are much higher for next winter to be a good one that will help to alleviate the drought conditions in CA and bring beneficial rains to the SW U.S. in general. The big question right now is how strong will it become during the current -PDO regime if it forms?

It seems So Cal will get the most dynamic part of the storm, meaning more thunderstorms for you guys. NorCal will get more rain, with scattered thunderstorms possibly, and seeing that models are horrible at timing cold fronts, there may be an event similar to September 2013 up here in NorCal.

There DOES look to be strong southerly wind flow. This means the valley could roll up lots of low-level wind shear as well!

-
The main active NWS-WFO "Weather Stories" for California at this point.

North to South.

Eureka
http://www.proxigee.com/eka-7d_precio_totals-t.jpg
7 day Precip Totals forecasted

Reno / Eastern CA
http://www.proxigee.com/rn_ecal-wetter_wx_on_tap-t.jpg
Wetter Wx on Tap

Sacramento
http://www.proxigee.com/sto-rain_snow_wind-t.jpg
Rain, Snow, Wnd

San Francisco / Monterey
http://www.proxigee.com/sf_m-system_one-t.jpg
System no. 1

Hanford
http://www.proxigee.com/hn-precip_totals_projected-t.jpg
7 day Precip Totals forecasted

Los Angeles / Oxnard
http://www.proxigee.com/la_ox-two-waves-t.jpg
Two Storm-Waves

San Diego
http://www.proxigee.com/sd-pattern_change-t.jpg
Pattern Change

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/FXC/wxstory_map.php/

---

I am certainly looking forward to this weekend's storm and it is looking pretty significant for Socal at this point. I hope the models don't change much in the track of the storm or weaken the storm before it gets here. We really need this rain, and my area here in Orange has received only .17" since December 20.

Generally the last few years have been dry here too, just not as dry. Maybe el nino would be the kicker to get both of us a good water year.

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

-

Real-Time U.S. Composite Satellite Animation  

.. A decent current past 12 hours, standard IR - over generated color surface background, view, half-hourly, of the broader U.S. together with adjacent near Eastern Pacific and Western Atlantic.

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/us_comp/us_comp_big.html
http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/

---

-

Real-Time U.S. Composite Satellite Animation  

.. A decent current past 12 hours, standard IR - over generated color surface background, view, half-hourly, of the broader U.S. together with adjacent near Eastern Pacific and Western Atlantic.

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/us_comp/us_comp_big.html

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/

That is a really neat satellite picture, as you can see all the way from the western Atlantic to the eastern Pacific with smooth animation. It is interesting to watch the whole weather pattern across North America and this imagery makes that easy without having to flip back and forth among separate images.