June Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Geos

I would be willing to bet you a crisp Andrew Jackson that August doesn’t end up cold. At PDX or regionally.

I will take that bet on wet!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Nice thing about troughing to the north and west is that it keeps the marine layer from locking down. This week looks quite sunny and pleasant. Troughing to the south and east tends be very cloudy in May and June.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Nice thing about troughing to the north and west is that it keeps the marine layer from locking down. This week looks quite sunny and pleasant. Troughing to the south and east tends be very cloudy in May and June.

Actual long wave troughy patterns definitely tend to be cloudier.

Actual long wave troughy patterns definitely tend to be cloudier.

Also having a ULL slowly meander from California to Montana... locks in the marine layer away from the water.   

Nothing like that shown this week on the ECMWF surface maps.   Every day this work week is quite sunny.   Highs are still around 80 on Friday afternoon before the rain moves in on Saturday morning.   The weekend looks fairly showery though... from Portland northward at least.   More rain for the Oregon Cascades as well on this run.

Also having a ULL slowly meander from California to Montana... locks in the marine layer away from the water.

Nothing like that shown this week on the ECMWF surface maps. Every day this work week is quite sunny. Highs are still around 80 on Friday afternoon before the rain moves in on Saturday morning. The weekend looks fairly showery though... from Portland northward at least.

Cool troughy June working its magic.

I would be willing to bet you a crisp Andrew Jackson that August doesn’t end up cold. At PDX or regionally.

You're thinking with your emotions. If June ends up even modestly warm and July is pretty hott, August will have some real room to work.

Make it a Grover Cleveland and you have a deal!

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

You're thinking with your emotions. If June ends up even modestly warm and July is pretty hott, August will have some real room to work.

Make it a Grover Cleveland and you have a deal!

You are being patronizing as usual. It’s generally a pretty tall order these days, regardless of what June and July do. We’ll see who’s right. There was a very similar discussion last summer.

You are being patronizing as usual. It’s generally a pretty tall order these days, regardless of what June and July do. We’ll see who’s right. There was a very similar discussion last summer.

B+!!!

I'll donate blood if it'll help.

Partly and sunny dry here... very nice morning.

Been moderate rain now for almost 2 hours...everything is getting a nice soaking!
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Misting and 57 degrees here at 4pm, and we’ve spent the entire day outside enjoying it. Best June weather we’ve had in years. Plan is to jog to the Potomac and light up later this evening. #paradise

• Like 2

Misting and 57 degrees here at 4pm, and we’ve spent the entire day outside enjoying it. Best June weather we’ve had in years. Plan is to jog to the Potomac and light up later this evening. #paradise

So jealous. Our Junes used to have days like that.

• Like 1

If it was guaranteed very hot and humid all summer... I could enjoy a 57 degree drizzly day too. We all want we don't get very often.

What's your strain? Been enjoying banner and lemon kush lately.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

What's your strain? Been enjoying banner and lemon kush lately.

Just ACDC for me tonight since I’ll need my head tomorrow, but my favorites are trainwreck and white russian. My gf usually goes with purple haze or sometimes sour diesel.

The D7 12z EPS is something out of Jesse’s wildest dreams.

4WqIasn.png

Though, as expected, the return to ridging begins during the third week of June, as the NPAC jet extends under the influence of diabatic heat release from WPAC forcing.

OKUdS9L.png

FWIW, the tropical forcing is propagating somewhat faster than originally indicated (the wave is shallower).

So while this troughy period might end ~ 5-6 days ahead of schedule, the warm/ridgy episode from late June to mid-July is looking less impressive as well.

And if the -AMO/-AMM cell (equatorward IO/ATL ITCZ) sustains into August, then you can bet on some legitimate late summer troughing.

We haven’t had a legit -AMO/-AMM August since the middle 1990s, and nothing like this since the 1970s/80s. So if this actually happens, you can toss all post-1995 analogs for the month of August.

FWIW, the tropical forcing is propagating somewhat faster than originally indicated (the wave is shallower).

So while this troughy period might end ~ 5-6 days ahead of schedule, the warm/ridgy episode from late June to mid-July is looking less impressive as well.

And if the -AMO/-AMM cell (equatorward IO/ATL ITCZ) sustains into August, then you can bet on some legitimate late summer troughing.

We haven’t had a legit -AMO/-AMM August since the middle 1990s, and nothing like this since the 1970s/80s. So if this actually happens, you can toss all post-1995 analogs for the month of August.

Troughing in August is not possible, you goof.

• Like 1

Hopefully all this atmospheric shuffling can get us back into the feel of the pre-1996 winter era where, at least to me, it felt like lowland snow was way more common. I feel like I vaguely remember numerous regional snow events in the early 1990s from my childhood.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

The D7 12z EPS is something out of Jesse’s wildest dreams.

Though, as expected, the return to ridging begins during the third week of June, as the NPAC jet extends under the influence of diabatic heat release from WPAC forcing.

You need to cut down the hyperbole a little buddy. The troughing that is moving over us currently looked just as impressive at that range. The end result is looking like highs dropping to near average (low 70s) for a few days.

No sun here, but the rain hasn't amount to much, only around 0.04".

Radar looks active here... but just sprinkles with the sun visible through the clouds.