Kiluea : Is it a Volcanic Event or a Geological Event ?

This is worth reading. 

The Hilina Slump slips every 2.5 years.  This was expected this year. 

However the enormity was not nor were the number of fissures experienced.  The Hilina Slump may be preparing to slip into the ocean as it has many times before.

Evidence is on the sea floor.  Depending on how it drops into the sea it could create a small or quite large tsunami that could reach the western US.

See: Hilina Slump   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilina_Slump

Hilina Slump.jpg

This screen shot should get you started on the article

http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/2018/02/25/hawaii-news/volcano-update/volcano-watch-slow-slip-event-on-kilauea-volcanos-south-flank-is-expected-this-year/

Kiluea Slow Slip.png

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Here's a thought for the day.

When the lava dropped in the crater, they have not measured enough outflow from the vents and fractures to account for that volume, so where is it going?

The magma chamber? Subterranean fractures ?

The vents lay in a horizontal line to the shore, so the fracturing is being encouraged.

Should the Slip continue to a complete fracturing of the area, you're looking at an enormous amount of earth. The last time this occurred, the tsunami reach the west coast and can be measured. Some have estimated a 60' tsunami.

A second question that is circulating is has the geothermal plant created an aggravating factor through its fracking practices?

Just food for thought.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

I don't have any answers on this but I am very curious as to what is going on underground.

With Fissure 8 producing so much lava last night to cover 500 homes, and fill Kapoho Bay by morning, I'm left wondering if the line of fissures are in danger of slipping by being lubricated by all this lava and perhaps opened up by the 5.6 quake that accompanied the flood of lava this morning.

This is when X-ray eyes would be great. We could see where the lava is coming from, know if there is a secondary magma chamber, and know where the lava is going. Then maybe we'd know if the Hilina Slump is about to break free.

This shows how these fissures are in an line.

The rift is more active than it's ever been. This feeds the speculation that the Slump is going to break off as it has in the distant past. The movement was expected this year and with the volcanic activity and earthquakes contributing, it is a perfect storm. I hope they completely evacuate the area.

More quakes and explosions are expected over the next 24 hrs.

IMG_3204.JPG

Vent 8 continues to toss magma 250' into the air. The temperatures the hottest recorded in recent history.

Hundreds of more houses were destroyed overnight and no sign of the stopping soon.

Before this is over you he map of SE Hawaii will have to be redrawn. Scientists will be studying this for a long time.

_________

Lava flows and fissures map as of 10:00 a.m. HST, June 5, 2018. Given the dynamic nature of Kīlauea's lower East Rift Zone eruption, with changing vent locations, fissures starting and stopping, and varying rates of lava effusion, map details shown here are accurate as of the date/time noted. Shaded purple areas indicate lava flows erupted in 1840, 1955, 1960, and 2014-2015. (HVO/USGS)

In the Lower East Rift Zone lava effusion persists from fissure 8 which continues to feed a channel transporting lava eastward to the ocean entry in the Kapoho Bay area. HVO's Tuesday 5 June mid-day overflight showed that this flow has completely filled Kapoho Bay and formed a lava delta extending about 1.3 kilometre (0.8 miles) out from the former coastline. Meanwhile the outbreak of this flow that started to wrap around the western side of Kapoho cinder cone has completely encircled it, re-joined the wide Kapoho Bay lava flow channel but travelled south of it where it now creates a second ocean entry in the Vacationland tidepools area.

The destruction of the Kapoho Bay and Vacationland neighbourhoods and beautiful recreational areas is immense as almost all of it got covered by the fissure 8 lava flow over the past 2 days. Whatever remains is still under threat as the wide fissure 8 lava flow is also still spreading sideways

Over the past week eruptive activity in the fissure system concentrated on fissure 8 and the massive lava flow channel that was created from it, traveling fast north eastwards along highway 132 before turning eastward and inundating the Kapoho Bay area. Local volunteers daily head out by boat to the cut off area around Poihiki on rescue missions for any animals and persons that got stranded there after the fissure 8 lava flow covered the intersection between highway 132 and 137. Meanwhile northernmost lobe of the Fissure 8 flow, in the Noni Farms Road area, is still barely advancing to the northeast and minor breakouts along the channelized fissure 8 flow have been very small and stagnated before travelling any significant distance.

https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/volcano_news.html

I'm enjoying it too. I'm learning tons.

This is a great way to view the recent quakes in a cut away. Note the purple quake. Nice and deep,70+ km's down there by itself. I wonder if that's just a fracture, or magma. Would love to know why it occurred.

IMG_3220.PNG

Why so many earthquakes at Kiluea ? Seems it has to do with subsidence.

The 50 to 100 quakes a day can get on your nerves.......

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/vsc/file_mngr/file-181/kilauea_summit_earthquakes.pdf

IMG_3221.JPG