1/29 - 2/4 Southern Plains Double Trouble Winter Storms

Iceresistance

Well, today starts it all for the storms. An Ice Storm is now looking very likely across Texas and Oklahoma. @Andie needs to get the generator ready for the Power Outages from the Ice Storm.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

• Iceresistance changed the title to 1/29 - 2/4 Southern Plains Double Trouble Winter Storms
  • Tom pinned this topic
20 hours ago, Iceresistance said:

Well, today starts it all for the storms. An Ice Storm is now looking very likely across Texas and Oklahoma. @Andie needs to get the generator ready for the Power Outages from the Ice Storm.

The power people know their reputation is on the line but we’re not trusting anyone.  I have 2 fireplaces so they’ll come in handy. 
Increasing sleet tomorrow.  Winter storm and ice till Thursday. 

My area is expecting .20” today.  Just enough to be dangerous.  26* currently with a High of 31.  Light freezing mist.  

Stay warm Ice !!

• Like 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

4 minutes ago, Andie said:

The power people know their reputation is on the line but we’re not trusting anyone.  I have 2 fireplaces so they’ll come in handy. 

My area is expecting .20” today.  Just enough to be dangerous.  26* currently with a High of 31.  Light freezing mist.  

Stay warm Ice !!

Hopefully it doesn't' turn out as bad as the forecast show.  0z Euro has a serious ICE potential for NW TX/OK/AR...Stay safe and stay warm.

image.gif

• Like 3

It’ll be just enough to make driving a nightmare.  My husband has to go in no matter what as he’s both Fleet Manager and Emergency Management  member.  
Another glorious day during our Stock Show and Rodeo.  Never fails.  It always brings weather like this.   
This could continue through Thursday. 

• Like 3

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

1 hour ago, Andie said:

Stay warm Ice !!

Well, i was wrong but only by a month. The 80s years I talked about were known for these. The Dallas Ice storms are memorable from that era. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andie said:

It’ll be just enough to make driving a nightmare.  My husband has to go in no matter what as he’s both Fleet Manager and Emergency Management  member.  
Another glorious day during our Stock Show and Rodeo.  Never fails.  It always brings weather like this.   
This could continue through Thursday. 

Ground Hog Day mayhem…

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, OKwx2k4 said:

Well, i was wrong but only by a month. The 80s years I talked about were known for these. The Dallas Ice storms are memorable from that era. 

SW Ft Worth is dry for now but it’s not far away.
Currently 26* Dry in South Tarrant County. More on the way.  
If it hits the ground, it’ll stick.  

Our sleet began to shower down at exactly noon.  It will likely be on and off again showers from here for a while.  Accumulations will be less than .25 but it doesn't take much to wreck your day.  Tomorrow and early Wednesday will be the real accumulation. 

27*  Humidity - 90%   Sleet showers throughout the day.  Same for Tuesday and Wednesday.

• Like 3

Checking in this evening to report about 1" of sleet, maybe a touch less, at my home today. Sleeted moderate to heavy for about 3-4 hours. There were several elevated thunderstorms so had some hail mixed in at times. Probably say 5-10 flashes and heard 30-40 rumbles of thunder. Definitely a fun storm!

• Like 5
  • Storm 2

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Another wave comes through tomorrow, but the profile is a bit colder so whatever we get could be snow or sleet. CAMs look convective even if the storm chance is a narrow window. Models starting to trend back north with the last shot Wed night. Probably still 30-32F at that time so could be a good glazing. Plenty of time to watch how that unfolds. 

• Like 4

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

14 minutes ago, Black Hole said:

Checking in this evening to report about 1" of sleet, maybe a touch less, at my home today. Sleeted moderate to heavy for about 3-4 hours. There were several elevated thunderstorms so had some hail mixed in at times. Probably say 5-10 flashes and heard 30-40 rumbles of thunder. Definitely a fun storm!

I definitely was pretty shocked over here on the state line with the intensity of the sleet and I do believe I was under a bit of lefot hail as well for a brief period.

Your forecast range was legitimately 0-3" snow, 0-0.37 ice or 0-1.5 sleet OR....a mixture of all, with rain and thunder and waves of precip. Lol. Throw in a kitchen sink and a partridge in a pear tree. Lol. And haul...can't forget the hail. Haha. Wind, ummm...zero to possibly 46 mph then calm.... Haha.

Those have to be the hardest forecasts ever. I think you did well.

• Like 4

25* at 6am.  Another line of Sleet moving in that stretches back to Mexico.  

We expect a high of 28 today with sleet.  We’ve had a good deal of thunder sleet with lightning being spotted. 

No one but essential services should be out and even they are having to be rescued.  Another day of it tomorrow. 

39285E0F-5BFB-4B21-A5FA-2EB3966B8FE1.png

• Like 2
  • scream 1

20 minutes ago, Andie said:

25* at 6am.  Another line of Sleet moving in that stretches back to Mexico.  

We expect a high of 28 today with sleet.  We’ve had a good deal of thunder sleet with lightning being spotted. 

No one but essential services should be out and even they are having to be rescued.  Another day of it tomorrow. 

39285E0F-5BFB-4B21-A5FA-2EB3966B8FE1.png

Stay safe and stay warm my friend!  It's going to be an interesting few days down there.  Hope you and your fellow southern folks don't loose power.  

Thanks Tom.  Disturbance in the Rio Grande Valley is bringing us another day day and it ends. 
Plenty of ice stretching back to Mexico. We get these every half dozen years or so. Only thing you can do is stay off the roads and put your feet up  

Totals for Black Hole and Okwx2k4 will be interesting. It’s been awhile since we’ve seen this. I believe it’s worse in E Oklahoma.  

We've picked up thunder and lightning strikes this morning. Acting like a thunderstorm. Very dynamic.  

Edit:  it’s 8am am I’m hearing a good deal of rolling thunder.  
Sleet is coming down in heavy waves,  about 3/4 “ so far and no sign of stopping. Plenty of thunder and lightning.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Andie said:

Thanks Tom.  Disturbance in the Rio Grande Valley is bringing us another day day and it ends. 
Plenty of ice stretching back to Mexico. We get these every half dozen years or so. Only thing you can do is stay off the roads and put your feet up  

Totals for Black Hole and Okwx2k4 will be interesting. It’s been awhile since we’ve seen this. I believe it’s worse in E Oklahoma.  

We've picked up thunder and lightning strikes this morning. Acting like a thunderstorm. Very dynamic.  

Edit:  it’s 8am am I’m hearing a good deal of rolling thunder.  
Sleet is coming down in heavy waves,  about 3/4 “ so far and no sign of stopping. Plenty of thunder and lightning.

My cousin just sent a video out of Dallas and there is a ton of sleet on the roads!  Crazy and wild Texan weather!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got another round of thunder sleet this morning, with sleet falling for an hour or so. Picked up about 0.15" of additional sleet. Roads were treacherous coming home from my shift last night as the sleet hardened into solid ice. 

We could be done, or perhaps one last freezing rain chance tomorrow evening. Most models keep it south of me but maybe I get something. Definitely a good icing coming for SE OK down towards @Andie

• Like 4

Yes indeed.  
At noon I measured 1 1/4” on the patio.  
More on the way later this afternoon. 

The thunder-sleet has been interesting and it came down aggressively this morning.  We’ll see what develops late this afternoon.  

It will be changing over to rain tomorrow afternoon but temps will drop to freezing in the evening and sleet return.  

Currently 26* 

924E7DDB-35B6-4D6F-B229-16FC3B88EE4A.png

• Like 3
  • Storm 1

More tomorrow.  Curious weather. Reminds me of Spring, just a lot colder.  28*  A low of 26 tonight.  High tomorrow 32   

Forecast is for freezing rain tomorrow. It will change over to rain on Thursday. They’re preferring to call it wintry mix but the Met stated we could see 1-1 1/2” sleet/freezing rain before switching to rain. High Thursday 39 with showers. 

A very cold mixed salad.  Treacherous driving.  Most have remained off the roads after seeing the morning news with ugly pile-ups and injuries.
2 fatalities today.

I managed to convince my husband to work from home.  He usually requires the City computer system, but I talked him out of it.  (Promised him steak, eggs, and tortillas for breakfast.)

Arizona tortillas- his fav.

• Like 6

I was curious as to where this event was coming from and the global radar answered my question.  
All this moisture is being energized from out in the Pacific far west of Mexico.  The line stretches to NE where it’s delivering snow.  I have a friend near Boston that hunkered down.  
This is one long string of “pearls.”

BC2614BF-0779-41B3-AA10-49A7949AE5AF.jpeg

It leaves New England, picks up Arctic energy and swoops over to Britain.  Amazing 

F26A6207-E9E6-45F7-9D1C-D9F1F19E0822.jpeg

• Like 5

I saw vid's of cars crashing on Hwy's in parts of TX and I sadly, some lives were taken as well. Very rough down there. Hopefully, things get better for you guys in the south and other parts there as well. This is one terrifying icestorm.

Stay safe y'all.

• Like 3

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

The big Blowout was a bit of a blowout.  
29* drizzle, mist, haze, but the 1/4”-1/2” of ice did not materialize.   That doesn’t mean it isn’t treacherous out there. The center half of the state is a slip-n-slide and some drivers begin to think they have it beat.   
The morning will be a frozen nightmare, some sleet. Then temps will rise to 35   

The NE is having our polar vortex experience so I feel for them.

Is it just me, or are our winters changing in So Central US?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Andie said:

29* drizzle, mist, haze, but the 1/4”-1/2” of ice did not materialize.   That doesn’t mean it isn’t treacherous out there. The center half of the state is a slip-n-slide and some drivers begin to think they have it beat.   

It used to be generally very mild for the longest time, but now it's coming back with a vengeance!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Iceresistance said:

It used to be generally very mild for the longest time, but now it's coming back with a vengeance!

I agree.  We had a mild one last year but you never know now. Feels like a new pattern, or an old one revisited.  

1 minute ago, Andie said:

I agree.  We had a mild one last year but you never know now. Feels like a new pattern, or an old one revisited.  

Last year wasn't mild to me, I got DUMPED!

• lol 1

I recall your reports. Texas was pretty quiet.  I guess we’re all taking our turn.  This has been interesting to follow locally and globally.  
Tx and Okla could still see more action. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Andie said:

My cousin has been sending me video's and it looks wild down there.  He's been hunkered down for a few days and hasn't left his house for obvious reasons.  I'm glad that it didn't turn out real bad for you guys bc Sleet isn't necessarily  the worse case scenario.  I'd rather have sleet than the Ice for sure.   

• Like 1

Last day of madness.  
Black ice this morning from mist then fog. Most people are sensible but a few cowboys messing things up.  
We’ll rise above 32 today and get back to ‘normal’. 
So nice to see the sun this morning!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Andie said:

Last day of madness.  
Black ice this morning from mist then fog. Most people are sensible but a few cowboys messing things up.  
We’ll rise above 32 today and get back to ‘normal’. 
So nice to see the sun this morning!

It’s been 100% sunny the past two days over here courtesy to Arctic HP!  Just took a walk around the block in OF and a -10F WC!!!  Brrr 🥶 

• scream 1
  • Shivering 2

That’s what I call a serious walker!

We’re 31 @ 8:30.  High of 45!

• Like 1

Post Script to this storm- 
As it rolled into Texas from Mexico our pressure dropped as in most storms. 

However, today when it quickly rebounded to 30.51, I developed THE worst headache.  This occurs for me only with hurricane remnants, so this is new for me.  (woah.🥺)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• Tom unpinned this topic