PNW February 2023 Weather Discussion - Meteorological winter finale

1 minute ago, TacomaWx said:

2019 was one of my favorite weather years in general. There was some dynamic stuff at times in 2021 and 2022…but 2019 had some amazing cold, snow, thunderstorms and a summer where it actually rained at times!

I am noticing a few more fir trees around here that have turned totally brown over the winter and have likely died... presumably from the extended heat and dry weather last fall.    We could probably use 2019-type summer after the last 3 summers.    The multi-year Nina did the complete opposite of what was expected.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • scream 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

11 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

2019 was one of my favorite weather years in general. There was some dynamic stuff at times in 2021 and 2022…but 2019 had some amazing cold, snow, thunderstorms and a summer where it actually rained at times!

Definitely. 2022 was probably our most dynamic year since then. The Jekyll/hyde February (very warm start and cold finish) cold April/May (record breaking snowstorm down here on 4/11), switching almost seamlessly to three months of record smashing mid-summer/early fall torching, then flipping back stormy for a few weeks followed by a cold November/December.

2021 should probably get a nod too because of the extreme heat in June, but it definitely was a more generally warm year than last year with less ups and downs.

Edited by Cascadia_Wx
  • Like 3

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

1 minute ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Definitely. 2022 was probably our most dynamic year since then. The Jekyll/hyde February (very warm start and cold finish) cold April/May (record breaking snowstorm down here on 4/11), switching almost seamlessly to three months of record smashing summer/early fall torching, then flipping back stormy for a few weeks followed by a cold November/December.

2021 should probably get a nod too because of the extreme heat in June, but it definitely was a more generally warm year than last year with less ups and downs.

We went from tracking when the first decent rains would fall to snow chances in less than 2 weeks this year.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Terreboner2 said:

Such a promising start to winter has turned into a big pile of Donkey-Dung!!!  I moved over here 4 years ago, ironically, right after the Feb. 2019 event.  I was hoping to get the monkey off my back of what Mat calls the "Josh curse", but it seems like my weather curse over here may continue this winter, and I'm betting for next as well.

Oh well, at least now we can sit back and enjoy Tim's every other day pictures of the flower buds popping up in all their FUKKING GLORY!!!!

image.gif

• Excited 1
  • lol 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Sun 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I am noticing a few more fir trees around here that have turned totally brown over the winter and have likely died... presumably from the extended heat and dry weather last fall.    We could probably use 2019-type summer after the last 3 summers.    The multi-year Nina did the complete opposite of what was expected.

Bold of you to assume the Niña did any of the summer schenanigans.

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

1 minute ago, Meatyorologist said:

More related to what Nina didn't do... which is deliver cooler/wetter summers like it has in the past.

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

44 minutes ago, Doinko said:

For a bit I thought you meant 47, but then I looked at the obs there and wow there are some warm temps right now.
image.thumb.png.88e8aeb570f737006b28bc7619a6251c.png

Can y'all post the link to that map? I'm not able to find it and would like to bookmark it.

• Like 2

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

8 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Can y'all post the link to that map? I'm not able to find it and would like to bookmark it.

Mesowest maps? Here it is. Pretty good resource.

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/map/?&zoom=11&scroll_zoom=false&center=45.520541158384134,-122.58338928222658&boundaries=false,false,false,false,false,false,false,false,false&tab=observation&hazard_opacity=70&obs=true&obs_type=air_temp&obs_popup=true&obs_density=10&obs_provider=ALL

Buyer beware though. It cuts both ways and can also be used to show when a station is an outlier. ;)

• Like 2

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

2 hours ago, MossMan said:

Tim is ready for his vacation! I forgot how much he dislikes snow after January! 

Although our nice weather is not really making me want to escape... I am looking forward to some warmth.   We get there on Saturday afternoon and it appears that we have timed it perfectly.  

Screenshot_20230201-154059_Google.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sun 1

3 hours ago, Phil said:

Oh I’m sure it’ll be March. Textbook La Niña/+QBO evolution w/ IPWP MJO blowtorching the entire east coast mid/late Feb while W1 strat ongoing, then flip to cold/stormy 1st week of March.

Last 3 -ENSO/+QBO w/ W1 dominant Feb (2016/17, 2013/14, 2008/09) all had March as the dominant “winter” month out here.

But before that, mid/late Feb is gonna blowtorch massively out here. Possibly record breaking. 🔥 

And that could be our gangbusters window for a little wet AM snow on the hilltops! Should be pretty fun for all.

• Like 5
  • Excited 2

1 minute ago, WeatherGeek2022 said:

ready for hell on earth summer heat if winter is shying out on us.

Summer weather has nothing to do with winter weather. 

1 hour ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Definitely. 2022 was probably our most dynamic year since then. The Jekyll/hyde February (very warm start and cold finish) cold April/May (record breaking snowstorm down here on 4/11), switching almost seamlessly to three months of record smashing mid-summer/early fall torching, then flipping back stormy for a few weeks followed by a cold November/December.

2021 was interesting in that the only cold anomalies of any consequence for the entire year just happened to coincide with winter and plenty of snow. Otherwise it was a torqued up torch almost throughout.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Although our nice weather is not really making me want to escape... I am looking forward to some warmth.   We get there on Saturday afternoon and it appears that we have timed it perfectly.  

Screenshot_20230201-154059_Google.jpg

I'm gonna be in Hawaii from March 25-April 2! 

Was there April 7-13 last year, which had massive reverberations and arguably changed the entire course of our spring.

• Like 1

Just now, BLI snowman said:

I'm gonna be in Hawaii from March 25-April 2! 

Was there April 7-13 last year, which had massive reverberations and arguably changed the entire course of our spring.

Oh boy... more April snow for us.

• Excited 2
  • lol 3
  • Sick 1

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

Someone doesn't like people having a feeling of spring when enjoying the warmth of the sun and an increasing sun angle.  Its just straight up statistics for them.   In reality... most sunny days beginning in February feel like spring unless there is arctic air or strong wind involved.   Hopefully we get a few days in April and May that feel like summer.    Last year we had numerous days in April and May that were straight up winter-like.

Trees are already budding here. :( Even saw some stray blossoms today in college park.

Too f**king soon.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • Sun 1
  • Sick 2

Good news is it’ll be 10 degrees with a strong wind in a couple days. Maybe it’ll shock things back into dormancy.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Phil said:

Trees are already budding here. :( Even saw some stray blossoms today in college park.

Too f**king soon.

A few patches on the ground are sprouting up but I wouldn't say it looks Spring like yet over here. 

• Sun 1
  • Sick 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

4 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Ended up with a 47/24 spread here today. Mostly sunny with a few high clouds at times, really pretty day. Looks like PDX put up a pretty crooked looking 50 for a high. Still a decent 50/27 spread there.

52 here, Jess.

• Sick 1

53 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

2021 was interesting in that the only cold anomalies of any consequence for the entire year just happened to coincide with winter and plenty of snow. Otherwise it was a torqued up torch almost throughout.

Maybe it was a little different in the east sides, up until June 2021, most of the months were either marginally above normal or average running (March '21 managed a cool month, mostly thanks to lows though). Nothing beats Jan to March 2015, each month +4-6 degrees from average. 

But I wouldn't wish for a 2021 even if it did not include the June-July heat.. that was one of the drier years in southern Oregon. 

• Sun 1
  • Sick 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

38 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

More mixing by the foothills id imagine. The bump at PDX was unexpected because they never went above 48 on the 5 minute obs.

Yeah we never caught a breeze but DP’s tanked pretty hard just up the hill.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:

I'd be busy fishing! I think.... Unless that's a sewage treatment pond. I heard they have some big 'brown' trout. Yeah bad Dad joke. Real bad!

00z GFS in 2 hours 39 minutes

The water in that pond is actually better than most of the stuff I’m trying to treat. Don’t think there’s any fish though! 

• scream 1

4 minutes ago, Terreboner2 said:

I love the downvotes.  He implied something that is way off.  Good for him for being the cool kid that implies alcohol.  Woo hoo, he is a brain surgeon.

Meanwhile, I came to talk about weather but apparently having 50K posts or in and around there makes you some sort of god.  Noted.

What is your deal? You’ve been on one for the past couple weeks with these weird rants. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TacomaWx said:

What is your deal? You’ve been on one for the past couple weeks with these weird rants. 

Seems to be a theme with him before he inevitably gets banned…Then comes back under yet another name. 

• Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

15 minutes ago, Terreboner2 said:

I know your responses before you even make them.  This forum would be a lot better if, once in a while, a few certain people understood that they aren't as smart as they think they are.  Your law degree means about as much to me as doggy-doo on the bottom of my shoe.

Sh*t, dude. I just love Tim and Eric.

• Excited 2

Just now, Terreboner2 said:

I made a post about the weather sucking and he implied Vodka.  What's my deal?  I think you should redirect this post towards someone else.  He isn't smarter than anyone else on here so quit defending him like he is some weather god. 

It was just a joke he was making…the fact you’re taking such offense to it is pretty telling though 😂

3 hours ago, Meatyorologist said:

Well the Hadley Cell is typically broader during La Niña. So that in conjunction with the observed multidecadal widening may have tipped the scale. In which case El Niño may actually be the new conduit to a cool/wet summer. Especially if it’s east based with a +SPMM.

Though interestingly enough, the low pass Hadley Cell structure looks *much* better this year so far. I don’t think the 4CH will be nearly as dominant this year.

• Confused 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Facepalm 1