PNW February 2023 Weather Discussion - Meteorological winter finale

16 minutes ago, Terreboner2 said:

I love the downvotes.  He implied something that is way off.  Good for him for being the cool kid that implies alcohol.  Woo hoo, he is a brain surgeon.

Meanwhile, I came to talk about weather but apparently having 50K posts or in and around there makes you some sort of god.  Noted.

Neither that post, nor the one you made immediately before it, were about the weather.

Pot, kettle, black.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Well the Hadley Cell is typically broader during La Niña. So that in conjunction with the observed multidecadal widening may have tipped the scale. In which case El Niño may actually be the new conduit to a cool/wet summer. Especially if it’s east based with a +SPMM.

Though interestingly enough, the low pass Hadley Cell structure looks *much* better this year so far. I don’t think the 4CH will be nearly as dominant this year.

What are you seeing/looking at that supports this? Not disagreeing - would just love to see the work behind that as a curious bystander. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Terreboner2 said:

I love the downvotes.  He implied something that is way off.  Good for him for being the cool kid that implies alcohol.  Woo hoo, he is a brain surgeon.

Meanwhile, I came to talk about weather but apparently having 50K posts or in and around there makes you some sort of god.  Noted.

You quoted yourself…Again. Does your brother need to do another intervention? 

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

1 minute ago, Terreboner2 said:

I see your popcorn Jesse, and I call a father watching his 2 year old daughter.

Nothing is ever as nefarious as those on the internet would believe.  God bless you all and I hope you can see through your computer colored glasses.  

Making jokes is fun.  Maybe I should charge for this.

I definitely don’t see you as a two year old daughter.

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

The weather sucks right now.  Talking about it will just make you all depressed.  Adding some levity to the situation.

🤣

• lol 3
It's called clown range for a reason.

9 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

What are you seeing/looking at that supports this? Not disagreeing - would just love to see the work behind that as a curious bystander. 

Combination of teleconnections/seasonality, and my own hypothesizing. I’ll bookmark this post to reply in detail later, I desperately need sleep.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Wednesday evening update! At this point at the coast, we were seeing strong westerly winds with dew points in the teens. Unheard of. I also had absolutely no plans at this time of attending law school…

936C59B2-8CCA-463A-8AAA-D5FC58816E92.png

Lawyers run in my family for three generations. My dad, grandpa, and my great grandpa were all lawyers first, fathers second. I proudly told my dad I wanted to go to law school after undergrad finished and expected a full-throated/teary-eyed statement of support....."no"

thus ended my prospects of becoming a lawyer. thank god!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RentonHill said:

Lawyers run in my family for three generations. My dad, grandpa, and my great grandpa were all lawyers first, fathers second. I proudly told my dad I wanted to go to law school after undergrad finished and expected a full-throated/teary-eyed statement of support....."no"

I wouldn’t recommend it to my worst enemy.

• Excited 1
  • lol 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

2 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

I think you channeled some of that creativity into your gif game. Seriously some of the most brilliant gif responses I’ve ever seen on the internet from you here.

Edited by Cascadia_Wx
  • Like 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

21 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Wednesday evening update! At this point at the coast, we were seeing strong westerly winds with dew points in the teens. Unheard of. I also had absolutely no plans at this time of attending law school…

How much snow did areas on the coast end up with?

24 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

I never noticed the center of the PV was over Quebec when that thing hit.  That is truly amazing.  What a beast!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, Terreboner2 said:

Instead of escalating, how about de-escalating?

I think we get a huge storm before this freshly minted month is over.  I was thinking a V-day storm was on the table a week ago but I'm thinking the 20th-28th timeframe is on the table for sure.

Just messin around nothings that serious here 

Looks like tonight will be the last cold night in this sequence.  It's been a nice run.

47/29 here today.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I never noticed the center of the PV was over Quebec when that thing hit.  That is truly amazing.  What a beast!

That whole evolution was beastly and bulging (in a blue leisure suit). Woulda been fun to watch today’s smarty pants bucket of models and 10,000 ensemble members try to resolve such a flash grenade of a pattern change. Almost every fiber of climo knowledge would have suggested that complex would dump into the GOA.

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

3 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

That whole evolution was beastly and bulging (in a blue leisure suit). Woulda been fun to watch today’s smarty pants bucket of models and 10,000 ensemble members try to resolve such a flash grenade of a pattern change. Almost every fiber of climo knowledge would have suggested that complex would dump into the GOA.

So it caught everyone here by surprise then?

• Like 1

Just now, RentonHill said:

So it caught everyone here by surprise then?

There was very little lead time. From what I gather the consensus was for a SW flow pattern but then by Monday afternoon they were starting to sound alarms about it. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Terreboner2 said:

I made a post about the weather sucking and he implied Vodka.  What's my deal?  I think you should redirect this post towards someone else.  He isn't smarter than anyone else on here so quit defending him like he is some weather god. 

For claiming to be such a renegade badass you sure seem to have mighty thin skin.

• Like 7

Like I stated earlier, I don't care.  But when the jokes from years ago are rehashed it gets lame.

You guys can do better.

At this point it's a near certainty that literally every comment made on here is some variation of 3000 other comments made before it.

Many of us are soon to be pushing 18 years posting together. We're almost legal!! 

• Like 2
  • Excited 1
  • Snow 1

14 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

I just started watching that a couple weeks back. Makes me want to move to the U.P. even more!

I was reading about the show a couple weeks ago and for some reason this really bothered me.   I wanted it to be totally genuine and in the U.P. 

https://shorewoodripples.com/2673/features/joe-pera-talks-with-us-about-milwaukee/#:~:text=Set in Marquette%2C Michigan%2C the,Joe Pera Talks with You.

The show becomes even more endearing when you learn that it’s mostly filmed in the Milwaukee area. The diner in that breakfast episode is actually Copper Kitchen on Howell Ave, and the restaurant that Joe goes to with his nana for their weekly Friday fish fry is in reality Alioto’s in Wauwatosa. 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

6 minutes ago, Terreboner2 said:

What'd you get.  I had 12" in Tanasbourne.  I think Kayla was in the West Hills and got close to 18".  I know it has been talked about ad nauseum, but still one of the greatest nights I had in the valley.

Such an amazing event. Had about 12-13" here as well. 
image.gif.1b0ea48ad25495ea276ed8b0d26aecd8.gif

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Terreboner2 said:

What'd you get.  I had 12" in Tanasbourne.  I think Kayla was in the West Hills and got close to 18".  I know it has been talked about ad nauseum, but still one of the greatest nights I had in the valley.

Rehash alert!!!!!!

We had about 8 inches, boner.

• Excited 1