PNW February 2023 Weather Discussion - Meteorological winter finale

1 minute ago, Requiem said:

Things seem to filling in but I'm not sure if the enhancement is starting yet-- we'll see. Good timing if so!

1 minute ago, Perturbed Member said:

Pretty cool watching the temp and DP plunge and the precip starts to hit as the east winds arrive at HIO. I was out on a walk earlier and it just felt like a normal upper 30s PNW rainy day. Turned wintery impressively quick.

image.png.1de671bd10948d1abed1d15a86383141.png

Great timing. Won't have to deal with melting during the day, everything after this will probably stick

• Like 4

Pity anyone on the roads right now-- barely any visibility here and dumping snow.

• Like 6

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

8 minutes ago, PuyallupChris said:

Halfway up the hill it's starting to stick to surfaces but not much on the road yet. My wise phone app seems to think the temp will keep dropping as the snow turns to rain.  Ha. Temp dropped from 39 to 35 in the last 90 minutes.

It seems to come in spurts though, light, then heavy. We'll get a little accumulation if this continues but it'll take a few hours to amount to much, and I'm not sure we'll get it. 

I don't think this band of moisture is going to last very long.

Maybe get a slush 1/8".

Fun to watch though.

1 minute ago, Jakewestsalem said:

I swear the low is lifting north. The train of moisture that was heading towards me, is now trending north.

36f and still a south wind. Quite snowy in Stayton most of the day earlier, but little stickage.

This sucks

Based on the radar loop it does look like it is ever so slightly lifting north.

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 48

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

5 minutes ago, Jakewestsalem said:

I swear the low is lifting north. The train of moisture that was heading towards me, is now trending north.

36f and still a south wind. Quite snowy in Stayton most of the day earlier, but little stickage.

This sucks

6 minutes ago, Mid Valley Duck said:

I’m going to get skunked down here in the mid valley

Mark Nelsen just said you guys should probably get some more snow tonight, T-5" depending on elevation. Really hoping that happens for that area

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

33/28 t/dt spread here on the north end of the city with mostly overcast skies and an ongoing flurry. To add to the wintry conditions, there is a northerly breeze sending these tiny little snowflakes on a direct sideways collision course with my face at the bus stop. #KoldAidanCheeks aside, today has been a very impressive winter weather day for this late in the season, and a welcome respite from the overal blandness of the better part of the last two months.

Since dear old mother nature is sparing none of her slushy tricks she has stashed up her sleeves, it looks like Seattle will once again get in on some accumulating snowfall overnight, as a broad frontal shield is currently expanding far north of this morning's projections. The Euro and the GFS have both in tandem hopped on the white Thursday train, depicting light to moderate snow increasing over western WA into the overnight hours, and peaking shortly before sunrise. This is giving me some 2/7-2/8/2014 vibes for the central Sound, where an empty forecast suddenly seems destined to bring about a light but significant snowfall based entirely on a last minute jog north with the deformation band. It's a pretty common type of snowfall error in these parts, and on the east coast.

Hoping for a miracle and it can make its way up here 🙏

• Like 8

(Previous name: MillCreekMike)

Everett, WA (elev. 180’)

2023-2024 Snowfall:

1/11: Tr.

1/18: Tr.

Go M’s

19 minutes ago, Jakewestsalem said:

This sucks

Models showed it lifting north before heading back south. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hour364Please said:

Heavy flurries in the Puyallup Valley.  I mean heavy.

Someone hoist a special weather statement.

Hard to complin about this last minute change!  The fact the 18z models were so dramatically improved for South Sound and Central Sound snowfall means it could end up even better than shown on those.

• Like 6

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

And how about that weekend system!  That is looking like a pretty big deal at this point.

In the meantime already freezing here with a very cold east wind blowing.

• Like 5
  • Rain 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, snow_wizard said:

And how about that weekend system!  That is looking like a pretty big deal at this point.

Tomorrow could be historically cold here. PDX already has a decent amount of snow on the ground

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, umadbro said:

Models showed it lifting north before heading back south. 

Not really at this point. It likes it wobbles in place for a second before heading south according to the models. The radar shows it possibly moving north rn…. Who knows doe 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MillCreekMike said:

Hoping for a miracle and it can make its way up here 🙏

It did in Feb 2014!

• Like 3

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

3 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I am hoping the precip totals can stay in the 0.3 to 0.4 range for most of the sound.  If they get cut down to 0.1 to 0.2 in future runs I will be sad.  Temps will be right on that 32/33 border according to the euro and GFS so decent precip rates will definitely help.