PNW February 2023 Weather Discussion - Meteorological winter finale

2 minutes ago, Perturbed Member said:

Once the grass, sidewalks, roads, all just blend into a fluffy sheet of white and you can't easily tell them apart anymore, that's when you know you've had a solid snowfall. Quickly approaching that point here. 

Somehow it's snowing even heavier than before.

• Like 6

Just now, Doinko said:

Looks like totals could get close to Jan 2017 if this continues.

Yeah given the lower temps and stronger ratios, we're accumulating fast. Hopefully this band persists for quite a while, which does seem possible. 

Its incredible we're experiencing this and we are just a week from March.

• Like 6

Just now, Perturbed Member said:

Yeah given the lower temps and stronger ratios, we're accumulating fast. Hopefully this band persists for quite a while, which does seem possible. 

Its incredible we're experiencing this and we are just a week from March.

Yeah, we are down to 26 now which is definitely colder than any of the snow in 2017. This event is longer lasting too

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Dave said:

It's looking like Eugene got completely left out. Absolutely nothing on the radar coming this way. My roof and car got a small dusting. That's it. Fuckking hell.

Not just you guys. Here in Medford it’s bone dry! Just sucks 😔

• Sad 2

Whiteout conditions on the westside. Traffic on 26 us at this hour still gridlocked with the heavy snow only compounding the situation.

• Like 5

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

This is the best snow event of the year here for me.  I've said it before I will take a few inches of high quality powder and temp in the low 20's over 10 inches of 32 degrees snow any day.  I can count on one hand how many times I've seen heavy snow and 23 degrees over that past 10 years. 

• Like 6

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

2 minutes ago, snow maniac said:

Okay just went and measured off the picnic table. 5.5 inches! Of the fluffiest powder.

Wow you finally beat me, I have 4.5 was just south there lol. I did a 8 hr radar loop and your area was in the green longer. It is still coming down good here so I might catch up. This puts me at around 37 inches for the season.

The NWS should be dragged put back and shot,  this is the 2nd time this area has reached warning level snowfall and not be under a warning. The first time we had 9 inches and not even under a advisory! This is the only time in all the years this has happened and it's just been this year. I blame it on this younger generation of forecasting people in the office with no experience for Western Washington winters and they just use this model blend bullshit and really don't pay attention to what's actually happening outside or the general large scale pattern and what can and what had happened in the past with similar situations.  The NWS of Seattle is a joke and I hope they read this. Portland office is better and Spokane office is awesome!

• Like 1
  • Excited 2
  • lol 1
  • Weenie 2
  • Facepalm 1

We will see if we can manage anything else, officially 0.2” here. Was hoping for more but 1/4”-1/2” was about what I expected based on the models. Just happy it wasn’t a total shutout here. Unfortunately this snow will probably mostly subliminate today despite temps struggling to hit freezing. 27 here currently. 

Wow... great updates this morning!

Nothing here overnight.    I think almost everyone has had measureable snow in the last couple days... except for maybe south King County which was too far south on Tuesday and too far north last night.    Everyone gets snow on Sunday. 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Nothing here overnight.    I think almost everyone has had measureable snow in the last couple days... except for maybe south King County which was too far south on Tuesday and too far north last night.    Everyone gets snow on Sunday. 

I didn't even get a flake in Gold Bar, but that's okay. I got 16" in November, so I can't be too greedy I guess. I'm just happy for everyone else. Maybe I'll score this weekend or something.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Nothing for most of Skagit County since the quarter inch at the end of January, but it's been a good run in the past couple years so no complaining. Kind of shockingly warm up here still though. I haven't dropped below 30F which I think will make a subfreezing high today almost impossible, although the dew point is finally on the way down. It was 24F at midnight and is now down to 14F.

• Like 1

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

2 minutes ago, Skagit Weather said:

Nothing for most of Skagit County since the quarter inch at the end of January, but it's been a good run in the past couple years so no complaining. Kind of shockingly warm up here still though. I haven't dropped below 30F which I think will make a subfreezing high today almost impossible, although the dew point is finally on the way down. It was 24F at midnight and is now down to 14F.

Yeah... was thinking that western Whatcom County was also missed in terms of measureable snow.

But Sunday will make it up for everyone.  

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-snow_24hr_kuchera-7456000 (3).png

• Like 4

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**