PNW February 2023 Weather Discussion - Meteorological winter finale

43 minutes ago, umadbro said:

Rod Hill says non event on Saturday night. 

I watched Rodney yesterday morning (trace to an inch) and told my wife, 'Look at the 6Z Euro, it shows 8" of snow, there is no way he is right.'  Believe it or not, she actually looked at it and quoted it to one of her friends! 🤣

• Excited 1

3 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Oh I know it will! I have done well this year and can’t complain. It would be nice to see a regional snowstorm without any major donut holes but that is impossible😂😂😂

I can’t complain either. However, please be prepared for some complaining. 

• Like 1

Just now, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

And we are just getting started with this cold period. Probable a couple more cold trough's coming.

Hard to even wrap your head around. It boggles the mind to think what low temps could look like tomorrow and Friday morning in places where it clears out and the wind dies off, with a cold airmass overhead and deep snowcover.

• Like 2

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

3 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

I already got some “weenie” posts lined up and ready to go😂😂😂

Worked great for me on Tuesday night when I weenied all over the forum…Then woke up to a massive surprise nearly 3” of snow! 

• Excited 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

1 minute ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

This whole sequence has had some real teeth to it. Old school feel.

Just so rare to get a decent dump going into a big advection event here. 2/14 we had the inverse with the big advection followed quickly by the snow, but by then we had transitioned to more of a gap wind.

• Like 5

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

5 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

ECMWF snow with main frontal passage... which is through the area by 7 a.m. on Sunday morning.  

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-snow_24hr_kuchera-7423600.png

Looks okayish…However I’m going with the rock solid WRF!!! 

4E3441E8-4E04-46C0-ABC6-C86936E6FADE.jpeg

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

3 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Looks okayish…However I’m going with the rock solid WRF!!! 

4E3441E8-4E04-46C0-ABC6-C86936E6FADE.jpeg

Wind maps are interesting for Sunday afternoon... gusting over 40 mph out here while its basically calm in your area.   Probably c-zone in the calm area.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-wnd10m_stream_mph-7445200.png

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-gust_mph-7445200 (1).png

• Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

40 minutes ago, FroYoBro said:

Lol, I don’t understand. Do they only look at their one model? People were posting multiple different models in the 48 hour lead up that showed this as a possibility. 

They seemed to only be looking at the NBM and the SREF. Both of which were never on board for more than 1 inch of snow for PDX and were completely at odds with most of the other models. By the 00z Suite Tuesday night, you had pretty much every global and mesoscale model on board for a major event except the NAM. You had an arctic airmass approaching from the east and you had a low that was already looking pretty organized on satellite approaching the NW OR coast. Doesn't take a genius to figure out there could be big potential from that.  

I'm willing to cut a lot of slack for people forecasting snow in our region because it can be really challenging but this was completely inexcusable. Have you seen the traffic maps in Portland the past 24 hours? This type of negligence and incompetence has consequences. 

This guy trying to go on Twitter to blame the models is just pathetic. The PDX NWS is getting raked over the coals for this one and they deserve it. There should be consequences for waiting until an event starts or ends before issuing advisories and warnings, it completely defeats the purpose of it. 

• Like 5

In North Salem on the river and it’s snowing and 33.

Silverton was sunny and drippy, but the amount of snow increased toward Salem, I’d say 2-3” in north Salem/Keizer and coming down pretty good. 

• Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Models showing a solid 4-6” here on Sunday morning. NWS says 1000’ snow level down here at least. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

26 minutes ago, HuskyMaestro said:

I really hope that South Sound snowhole isn’t that terrible, I don’t have it in me to be burned time and time again especially with a good event this weekend while the rest of the Sound scores.  

In that case, move out of Fife.

It's called clown range for a reason.

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Wind maps are interesting for Sunday afternoon... gusting over 40 mph out here while its basically calm in your area.   Probably c-zone in the calm area.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-wnd10m_stream_mph-7445200.png

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-gust_mph-7445200 (1).png

That gives me some hope, worried about that snow hole with the main front creeping closer to me.

• Like 1

(Previous name: MillCreekMike)

Everett, WA (elev. 180’)

2023-2024 Snowfall:

1/11: Tr.

1/18: Tr.

Go M’s

2 minutes ago, Perturbed Member said:

They seemed to only be looking at the NBM and the SREF. Both of which were never on board for more than 1 inch of snow for PDX and were completely at odds with most of the other models. By the 00z Suite Tuesday night, you had pretty much every global and mesoscale model on board for a major event except the NAM. You had an arctic airmass approaching from the east and you had a low that was already looking pretty organized on satellite approaching the NW OR coast. Doesn't take a genius to figure out there could be big potential from that.  

I'm willing to cut a lot of slack for people forecasting snow in our region because it can be really challenging but this was completely inexcusable. Have you seen the traffic maps in Portland the past 24 hours? This type of negligence and incompetence has consequences. 

This guy trying to go on Twitter to blame the models is just pathetic. The PDX NWS is getting raked over the coals for this one and they deserve it. There should be consequences for waiting until an event starts or ends before issuing advisories and warnings, it completely defeats the purpose of it. 

One of my wife’s counterparts who works at Legacy Emanuel left work at 3:45 yesterday and arrived home in Vancouver at 9:15.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • scream 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

12 minutes ago, Perturbed Member said:

I am normally extremely defensive of professional mets who are overly conservative in their forecasts, but this honestly seems like a case of straight up malpractice.

It really does seem like they only looked at their seriously flawed NBM and took it as gospel. I can absolutely understand remaining skeptical of some of the higher end solutions that were shown, but to completely discount the possibility of *anything* happening is just mind blowing to me.

It's not like there was only one outlandish solution from one crappy model that was showing that something could happen. I hope the Portland NWS takes a serious and honest look within after this and figures out what the hell happened here.

They are way too married to their statistical analysis forecast voodoo and it really came back to bite them this time. I just hope that no one who got stuck in their car overnight ended up dying.

• Like 9