PNW February 2023 Weather Discussion - Meteorological winter finale

5 minutes ago, T-Town said:

With my daughter seemingly putting down roots in Colorado I could see landing there in a few years. I think I’d like the climate. But I’d miss the water for sure. 

We have decided we can't live where there is no water.     The brown and frequent bitter cold is also unappealing to us.

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

12 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I just want something that's more continental.  I think so many years of the typical climate here has just wore me out.  This area does have it's moments though and June 15 through October is usually pretty awesome.

You may like the Climate of Casper, WY. Lots of snow, but sunny and steppe contential climate.

image.png.637d34ecfe29ee65ab9cbfd95543a7ec.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

One thing really worth watching is the track of that low early next week.  A track like the GFS is showing could make things very snowy like the 18z run.  Right now it's in the minority, but you never know.

Tuesday has massive potential. 

• Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Interesting.  The NBM shows pretty wide snow coverage tomorrow night and then it paints a huge stripe of heavy snow between Portland and Seattle early next week.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Tuesday has massive potential. 

I'm pretty intrigued the NBM has the more southern track.  No doubt that thing is well worth watching!

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 hour ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Quick poll for all: Was snowfall a factor in you choosing your current place of residence?

For me, YES.

Heck yeah! We just moved into the SW hills in Portland (just north of council crest) at 600 feet, and part of the reason was wanting to be on the snowier margin of forecasts. 

Location 850’ NW Hills in Portland

14 minutes ago, Blizzard777 said:

Looks like a good time but I be hunting whale!!! 
not sure if the video will load but will give it a shot.  Humpback breaching down here at a very windy Redondo Beach. 

39/22 and currently 35*

D79F3B2D-4928-4BF2-A360-89FF85274C53.jpeg

That’s awesome. This is why Colorado will probably remain just talk. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

This might be the best late February early March I’ve seen in my lifetime. Might even beat 2019s numbers in this time of year. No touching 2019 in the first half of February of course. 

It’s looking like that it’s going to be that way. I can’t remember a March in my lifetime where there was anything more than just a marginal event that was like 1-2” of snow that would fall overnight and then pretty much all melt the next day. Best case scenario for MBY if one of those CZ’s that the 12z Euro was showing comes to fruition I could maybe score a 4”+ event in March which would be really good for March.

• Like 1

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 48

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

9 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

It hurts my feelings knowing snow is not a factor.  You can't ever let the little kid inside die man.  

Waterfront is our dream now.    Snow just doesn't do for it me like it did when I was younger.   Although I do love snow for the holidays.    Just my opinion.    I fully appreciate some people's dream is a snowy location.   I totally get it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Waterfront is our dream now.    Snow just doesn't do for it me like it did when I was younger.   Although I do love snow for the holidays.    Just my opinion.    I fully appreciate some people's dream is a snowy location.   I totally get it.

Living on a lake would be really cool. I am very close to a couple nice lakes here. 

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

This is mission lake right near my house. Very nice mountain looking lake.

1490576.jpg

• Like 9

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

You can probably get the best of both worlds. Lake WA is massive and plenty of neighborhoods with waterfronts. I personally love Newcastle or Mercer Island. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, T-Town said:

That’s awesome. This is why Colorado will probably remain just talk. 

Lol…so true. We do live in a beautiful place!  Since my world got shaken up I’m still trying to figure out where I belong. Arizona is so beautiful but not sure if I could live there.  Until I figure out will continue to just travel around and call this home.  Wish I was in a better location for snow but being 5 minutes from the Sound hard to give up. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, snow_wizard said:

Bummer.

We looked at some places before we bought this that get way more snow than here.  Wish I had known how much difference a few miles makes around here back then.

Our last move was about four miles as the crow flies and didn’t change much. Before that I was all over the place once I was out of HS and ultimately I’m still ruined by the two winters I spent in north central WA, despite the fact they were pretty pathetic by their standards. Carrot is still dangling on our move to Spokane, but like the 252 hour GFS timing keeps getting pushed back by some not-so-pleasant circumstances.

• Like 6
  • Snow 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Really nice day. Cold and brisk.

• Like 4

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

3 minutes ago, Sandy rocks said:

I love living in Sandy. It's a small town. I don't even like going into the city any more. I grew up in a small town in SW Washington with 80 inches of rain so the rain here doesn't bother me. I love having a creek and 100 foot tall trees behind me. I really like after 28 years, getting away from the east wind. We have it but it is usually at the top of the trees. I thought we would get more snow with double the elevation  but now I am wondering, we didn't get so much on Wednesday. Hopefully I will do better with the next round(s).

2/22/23 will go down as a pretty fickle beast. You should do much better with the more traditional onshore flow/stratiform setups.

• Like 3

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.