PNW February 2023 Weather Discussion - Meteorological winter finale

4 minutes ago, Sandy rocks said:

That's good to know. I thought it was weird getting less than farther inland. I know it took longer to get the east wind. I see there was a lot in east Vancouver and Camas although my sister in Hockinson only got three inches.

Driving yesterday it was pretty notable how sporadic it was. In the heart of downtown Hockinson they only had about two inches, then there was a pocket just to the north where we got about six inches, although we probably accumulated about eight or so. This was evident on the west side too with the big gap between the north end of the Vancouver city limits and Ridgefield. Then just north and east of that in La Center they had a solid dumping.

• Like 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

1 minute ago, Deweydog said:

Driving yesterday it was pretty notable how sporadic it was. In the heart of downtown Hockinson they only had about two inches, then there was a pocket just to the north where we got about six inches, although we probably accumulated about eight or so. This was evident on the west side too with the big gap between the north end of the Vancouver city limits and Ridgefield. Then just north and east of that in La Center they had a solid dumping.

Looks like places to our west around Hillsboro/Aloha had up to 10" in spots. We only got around 6 here, that heavy band around midnight must've lingered there longer or something.

• Like 3

As much as the NWS frustrates me, I'd hate to be the one to have to make the call on whether or not to issue watches and warnings in a situation like this. Despite the pepto models, it's still looking to be a marginal event, especially at this time of year, and the reactions from the public when they over-warn or hype everyone up for something that busts at the last minute is sometimes worse than the outcry they are getting right now for under-warning. For some reason the public loses more trust from the former than the latter, in my observations anyway.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Doinko said:

36/16 at Hillsboro today, very impressive. That's after a 30/23 day yesterday there

36/25 at PDX after 31/25 yesterday. Even though it didn’t get quite as cold as forecast, this morning’s low of 25 there still tied the daily record from 1969. 

Would be really neat if they could decouple tonight and get below 20 for the first time this winter, but that’s probably a long shot. Tomorrow’s record low of 23 (also from 1969) is likely within reach if the wind ever dies there though.

• Like 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

2 minutes ago, Doinko said:

That low Tuesday morning takes a great track for snow for the Puget Sound on the RDPS too

I have a sense Tuesday is going to be crazy up here.    

• Like 5

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

23 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Pretty continuous snowcover driving from Far East Vancouver to Portland today.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I have a sense Tuesday is going to be crazy up here.    

I really have a feeling this is going to be one of those events that sneaks up on us and surprises us last minute. Models have been trending snowier today and if that trend continues I wouldn’t be surprised if Seattle got it’s turn with something big.

• Like 1

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 48

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

21 minutes ago, lowlandsnow said:

Michael Synder is not pleased with NWS Seattle's lack of/late winter weather warnings 

Hopefully you aren't waiting for guidance from the Seattle Cause they will wait until the last minute, defeating the purpose of weather forecasting

Apparently learned nothing from Portland.

• Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Not sure about the Vancouver area, but I was surprised at how uniformly heavy accumulations were spread in the Portland metro. Pretty much everyone from Hillsboro to Troutdale, north to the river, and down to maybe Milwaukie received at least 6-8 inches (and obviously much more in *many* areas). Was nice to have that overnight second wave of the storm essentially acting as an equalizer for the west side (with, might I add, the heaviest snow I've seen here since January 2017).

• Like 6

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

3 minutes ago, AlTahoe said:

Casper has an ungodly amount of wind year round. If your an outdoors person the wind will drive you insane. That goes for most of Wyoming 

Yep... wind is another really annoying factor with Intermountain West.   That constant wind would make it miserable (for me).

• Downvote 1
  • Weenie 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

No clue what model(s) the UW Dawgcast uses for this but it looks great for everyone and does seem like a reasonable map with how the models look right now.

6024DE47-DB42-4619-964A-13802EB84F28.jpeg

• Like 2

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 48

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

2 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Beautiful day in the Portland area with full sunshine, cold temps, and snowcover. A novelty in this region!

Camas still had a good 9-10" on the ground.

EoRxDiFVOvJqGX0ulwGAkwJjOholmWHAsu2S37VA

js55TsBQe-3P_c6Qe0cbgKkythcyJLhIGJMrHqdV

Awesome! Lacamas Park?

Yeah the snowmelt has been really slow despite two sunny days in almost March. Easily the best sunny/snowy combo around here since January 2017. Just stellar out there.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Yeah, I was shoveling for the in laws today not too far from your place (sorry I didn’t stop by) and it was impressive. They had some three foot drifts.

• Like 5

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

1 minute ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Awesome! Lacamas Park?

Yeah the snowmelt has been really slow despite two sunny days in almost March. Easily the best sunny/snowy combo around here since January 2017. Just stellar out there.

Yessir! Top one was on Prune Hill where I imagine totals the other day were probably over 12".

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Quick poll for all: Was snowfall a factor in you choosing your current place of residence?

For me, YES.

I think we've talked about this before but we both went to the same school (USU). I grew up in the SLC area and lived in Northern Utah for quite a while and moving to somewhere without regular snow was a highly motivating factor at the time. I love snow now but lord knows I do not miss 6 months of shoveling and scraping my car off every morning. The shine comes off that apple real quick.

• Like 4