PNW February 2023 Weather Discussion - Meteorological winter finale

Weather summary
for British Columbia
issued by Environment Canada
at 8:38 a.m. PST Sunday 26 February 2023.

Discussion.

A weather system brought heavy snow across B.C. Saturday and 
Saturday night. 

The following is a summary of weather event information received by 
Environment & Climate Change Canada as of 8 A.M. PST, 26th February 

1. Summary of Vancouver Island snowfall totals in cm: 

Ucluelet: 32 
Port Alberni Area: 10 to 15 
Zeballos: 13 
Comox-Courtenay Area: 3 to 11 
Chemainus: 10 
Malahat: 9 
North Cowichan: 9 
Qualicum Beach: 6 
Victoria Airport: 4 
Saturna Island: 4 

2. Summary of south coast mainland & Sunshine Coast snowfall totals 
in cm: 

Port Mellon: 41 
Sechelt Area: 11 
Powell River Airport: 4 
Squamish Area: 40 to 49 
Whistler: 27 
Brandywine Highway Station: 29 
Tantalus Highway Station: 29 
Chilliwack Area: 31 
Horseshoe Bay Area: 22 
Eagle Ridge Highway Station: 17 
West Vancouver: 30 
Upper Lynn Valley: 43 
Surrey Area: 20 to 30 
Abbotsford Intl Airport: 23 
Langley Area: 15 to 20 
Vancouver Area: 15 to 21 
North Delta: 18 
Agassiz: 17 
East Coquitlam: 31 
Pitt Meadows Airport: 16 
Pemberton Airport: 14 
White Rock: 13 
Vancouver Intl Airport: 11 
Richmond Area: 8 to 10 
Hope Airport: 14 

3. Summary of B.C. Northern & Central Interior snowfall totals in 
cm: 

Dragon Lake Highway Station: 31 
Fort St. James: 25 
Prince George Area: 10 to 23 
Quesnel Airport: 24 
Mackenzie Airport: 18 
Hush Lake Highway Station: 17 
Whiskers Point Highway Station: 16 
Enterprise Highway Station: 13 
Williams Lake Airport: 11 
Stearns Highway Station: 10 
Mount Robson Area: 9 
Burns Lake: 8 
Smithers Area: 4 to 8 

4. Summary of Columbia District snowfall totals in cm: 

Malakwa: 48 
Clanwilliam Highway Station: 40 
Revelstoke Airport: 31 
Blue River Area: 25 
Rogers Pass: 10 to 15 
Barriere: 10 

5. Summary of Kootenay District snowfall totals in cm: 

Nakusp: 32 
Summit Lake Highway Station: 22 

6. Summary of Southwest Interior snowfall totals in cm: 

Salmon Arm Airport: 10 
Vernon: 16 

7. Summary of central coast snowfall totals in cm: 

Bella Coola Area: 23 to 26
  • Like 2

ECMWF looks more suppressed again with the trough next weekend.   Precip is generally farther offshore and farther to the south of the Seattle area than the 00Z run.   There is some precip on Saturday but Sunday is basically dry on this run.   

Total snow for next weekend (had to use 10:1 ratio map to get 48-hour total).   

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-snow_48hr-8104000.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • scream 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

6 minutes ago, PA Foothiller said:

New member here. Have been a Washington resident for 6 years now. Glad to have found these forums because I love talking weather. I bought a place in the Port Angeles foothills, 1000’. We get some serious totals, 2019 was the best. I got shadowed from last nights event, but I’m optimistic about tomorrow. 

Welcome!   Really awesome to have a poster up in that area.   

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

43 here, very nice day! Snows hanging on for dear life in the shade but with a DP of 36 and breezy SW winds it won’t hang on for long. Really liking how it’s looking for Monday night-Tuesday. That looks like it could be a bit snowier than last night, and the snow might have a bit more staying power. Will probably be some snow on the ground to start spring off! 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

ECMWF looks more suppressed again with the trough next weekend.   Precip is generally farther offshore and farther to the south of the Seattle area than the 00Z run.   There is some precip on Saturday but Sunday is basically dry on this run.   

Total snow for next weekend (had to use 10:1 ratio map to get 48-hour total).   

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-snow_48hr-8104000.png

10:1 is the way to go Brotha 🙂

sn10_acc-imp.us_state_wa (3).png

• Like 7

195572.png?1673757432

44 minutes ago, Blizzard777 said:

I’m just good with the active weather regardless.  Been fun this year with all our chances.  Been years where absolutely nothing falls.  So this has been a real treat! Gorgeous out now ☺️

39* with south winds still blowing 15-20 

Yeah, I’m hoping we can somehow manage 2-3 inches tomorrow night into Tuesday morning. Should atleast get another 1”. Still haven’t had a significant snowfall this winter but it’s been great regardless. We’ve had so many 1/4”-1” snowfalls this year…actually pretty remarkable how many times it’s happened. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

ECMWF is a little farther south... notable improvement for the Seattle area for Tuesday.     Models seem to be converging on the same track of the low.    The devil is in the details in terms of precip amounts and temps.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-snow_24hr_kuchera-7628800 (3).png

Love seeing the ECMWF getting better!  Looks like it might be fun.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Yeah, I’m hoping we can somehow manage 2-3 inches tomorrow night into Tuesday morning. Should atleast get another 1”. Still haven’t had a significant snowfall this winter but it’s been great regardless. We’ve had so many 1/4”-1” snowfalls this year…actually pretty remarkable how many times it’s happened. 

I managed to get 3 inches in one shot Nov 30 - Dec 1, and have had many smaller snows.  Quite impressive as you say.  A nice 3 to 5 inch shot would round things out very nicely.

I ended up with 0.6" last night.  Right when things really stating getting good the mid levels warmed too much and it turned to slop.

Taking everything into consideration and grading on a curve I give this winter a B so far.  Besides the snow, the number of solid cold waves we've had has been quite impressive, and amazingly it still looks cold 10 days from now.  I can't imagine this winter ever getting above a B+ when you consider the all time greats of the past.  I suppose a top 3 or top 4 March could make it an A-.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

ECMWF spits out a 38/20 on Wednesday with snow on the ground for SEA.  Very top drawer!

It also shows a possible snow event next weekend.

• Like 6

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, Phishy Wx said:

Man they're getting hammered in the Sierra, great to see

The worm has really turned this winter.  We'll see if it holds.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

5 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

WRF-GFS is picking up on this also 

A80AAB70-4864-4B4F-992F-7DDA8D7B2585.gif

The thing I really like is places that didn't do quite as well last night get some love with the Tuesday system.  Looking at the mid levels 850s are a solid 1.5C to 3C (depending on model) colder than last night south of Seattle.  That is a huge deal.

It is so weird where I live.  Last night I was getting better quality snow when it was 34 degrees than I did when it was 32.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

28 minutes ago, PA Foothiller said:

New member here. Have been a Washington resident for 6 years now. Glad to have found these forums because I love talking weather. I bought a place in the Port Angeles foothills, 1000’. We get some serious totals, 2019 was the best. I got shadowed from last nights event, but I’m optimistic about tomorrow. 

You get some pretty juicy upslope events there when the Fraser river outflow is cranking.  Pretty good fetch between there and the coastline around Vancouver 

10 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I managed to get 3 inches in one shot Nov 30 - Dec 1, and have had many smaller snows.  Quite impressive as you say.  A nice 3 to 5 inch shot would round things out very nicely.

I ended up with 0.6" last night.  Right when things really stating getting good the mid levels warmed too much and it turned to slop.

Taking everything into consideration and grading on a curve I give this winter a B so far.  Besides the snow, the number of solid cold waves we've had has been quite impressive, and amazingly it still looks cold 10 days from now.  I can't imagine this winter ever getting above a B+ when you consider the all time greats of the past.  I suppose a top 3 or top 4 March could make it an A-.

Yeah, November 30th-December 1st has been our top event this winter so far. Fell in 2 separate rounds but we had about 2” the morning of the 1st. There’s a chance Monday night could end up being the biggest snowfall of the winter…but right now I’m thinking maybe just a bit more than last night IMBY. 

6 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

ECMWF spits out a 38/20 on Wednesday with snow on the ground for SEA.  Very top drawer!

I really hope tomorrow night can over perform. I’m disappointed in how last night went. Started off pretty good but by 3am was pretty much over. 

8 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Looking like Tuesday and Wednesday might be sub 40 highs. Looks like DPs stay below freezing so the snow shouldn’t melt in the shaded areas for a couple days. 

3 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Pretty intense c-zone just formed over the last 20 minutes from North Seattle out through Monroe and Duvall. 

@Cold Snap is it snowing there again?

I just woke up but I also woke up around the time of that convergence zone for a bit to see if I had gotten more snow and it didn’t look like it and it was a very wet snow that wasn’t really accumulating like it was earlier in the night. Though I do not have a roaring SW wind right now winds are actually quite calm IMBY.

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 48

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

3 minutes ago, SnowWillarrive said:

I really hope tomorrow night can over perform. I’m disappointed in how last night went. Started off pretty good but by 3am was pretty much over. 

For sure.  When the visibility suddenly rose last night I knew the snow had become very wet.  Could have been way better with just a slightly colder air mass.  Tuesday morning has serious potential.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Looking like Tuesday and Wednesday might be sub 40 highs. Looks like DPs stay below freezing so the snow shouldn’t melt in the shaded areas for a couple days. 

I'm really excited about this one.  Legit cold air sweeps in on Tuesday and then a hard freeze Tuesday night after the snow.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

8 minutes ago, flya00 said:

Oh yeah, Lake Country. I’m going there tomorrow, thats where I go to college. The photos I took were in Chilliwack though :)

Ahhh... impressive snow total there.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

You get some pretty juicy upslope events there when the Fraser river outflow is cranking.  Pretty good fetch between there and the coastline around Vancouver 

2019 was an amazing upslope event! 34” the first snowfall with 58” total over a 8 day span. I had snow on the ground until mid April

• Like 5

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

1 minute ago, PA Foothiller said:

2019 was an amazing upslope event! 34” the first snowfall with 58” total over a 8 day span. I had snow on the ground until mid April

34in? Holy cow. I can’t even imagine. That is Insane