PNW February 2023 Weather Discussion - Meteorological winter finale

The GFS is a thing of beauty.  As an added bonus there is some clearing early Monday night that allows things to freeze up before the snow hits.  Mid levels are certainly cold enough.

• Like 5

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Pretty large discrepancy between downtown Seattle and the airport. The airport has 8.1" recorded for the season. Downtown has had maybe 4", if not less. The extra 400 ft in elevation makes a tremendous difference.

So far, this season has been below average for snowfall in downtown Seattle. To add insult to injury, we've probably had a record number of marginal events. I'm willing to bet Tuesday will be no different, and it looks like the models are trending that way. Make no mistake: anything below 2" on these Kuchera maps is practically 0" in city limits.

What a frustrating season. We can't get one storm to break in our favor, missing to the north, south, east, and west. I know it's overdue and it's climo, but it still sucks.

• Like 2

Looking off my deck toward the Sumner/Auburn valley, there’s something brewing. Maybe a burst of snow down there?

After no snow yesterday, currently 42 and dynamic in North Puyallup. I’m having trouble following the wave of models over the next few days but I hope we get something. It’s been a little disappointing lately.

5789950C-6D32-4115-9D01-13A89CAC3DFD.jpeg

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

?

A5F9B1F6-BC39-4C75-AB43-C7BD7698ADEA.png

I should have said nails King County east of I-405 and 167.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

11 minutes ago, MillCreekMike said:

It’s centered right over Marysville right now. I don’t think we have anyone from there on the forum to report what’s falling from the sky unfortunately.

We did have a Marysville poster for a while but I haven’t seen him/her post this season unfortunately. Looks like our family lake house and my old house are into the northern fringes of it now. If I wasn’t in the middle of a picture hanging project inside I would take a drive. 

0A8358C1-FAE2-417F-A099-9B8E4F0668BA.jpeg

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

It appears the flow is getting more WSW as opposed to WNW.  Should open the door to something interesting here in a little bit.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

19 minutes ago, MossMan said:

I can literally see the CZ to my south while I am still sunny…My old house is probably getting nailed right now! 😡

41 degrees, DP down to 28. 

1FBB9B78-49A1-4A50-97AD-E8166E72124E.jpeg

Yeah it's just south of my place now and moving to the south.  Looks like we missed another opportunity.

• Sad 2

Just now, Winterdog said:

Yeah it's just south of my place now and moving to the south.  Looks like we missed another opportunity.

Story of the winter up here. 😞

• Sad 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

2 minutes ago, SnowySeeker50 said:

Quick burst of hail and its out of here.

Always good to see another soul with a hill in the backyard!  Both house I’ve owned have this same hill.  My current residence I finally hired someone to do a fancy landscape job.  So pleased with the results.  You can really get creative with this kind of yard.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MillCreekMike said:

It’s centered right over Marysville right now. I don’t think we have anyone from there on the forum to report what’s falling from the sky unfortunately.

Washington Weather Chasers are currently live in Marysville on FB and it looks like some nice frozen stuff falling. 

• Like 2

The 18z GFS is dangerously close to a solution that could bring an historic March Arctic blast next week.  It wouldn't shock me if it happens.

• Like 2
  • scream 1
  • Weenie 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, MillCreekMike said:

Lol I love how it’s curving around my place right now. It looks like it’s starting to build more to the southwest now so it should fill in that area soon.

00E29B1B-4634-4C35-BB00-83D90A017DE0.thumb.jpeg.2695f3675d31dfa093921ee0a2cc222a.jpeg

That sucker has built some to the north as well and is now covering my area.  Down to 35 now and starting to snow here.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

The GFS is a thing of beauty.  As an added bonus there is some clearing early Monday night that allows things to freeze up before the snow hits.  Mid levels are certainly cold enough.

I thought the rgem and icon both looked better than the gfs. Gfs looks dry.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

8 minutes ago, awright-31 said:

We… we have a WWA for up to 3 inches midnight-10am tomorrow.

I look at any snow tonight as a total bonus.  Some places will probably have some though.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I thought the rgem and icon both looked better than the gfs. Gfs looks dry.

Not here.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

I look at any snow tonight as a total bonus.  Some places will probably have some though.

It should include the entire area. Makes no sense, it will be cold enough and if anything your area will have more precip than mine because of rain shadow.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

4 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if we get added to that in pierce county based on how the radar’s looking. 

If the trajectory remains more WSW like this I'm sure they'll expend it northward.  Going to be a fun few days coming up.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9