PNW February 2023 Weather Discussion - Meteorological winter finale

Saw this coming from a mile away. Atmospheric memory---Vancouver gets another 5 inches, Seattle gets rain. This winter is exhausting. If Seattle goes grey on the next Euro snow map, it's over for downtown.

Still so happy Portland pulled off that miracle event last week. That's the saving grace of this winter imo. 

• Weenie 1

I didn't want to say anything until it was clearly a thing, but it's a thing, now: it's been snowing steadily here for the last hour, but in the last 15 minutes or so the flakes have gotten fat and fluffy. We got barely a dusting overnight but what's falling now is slowly refreshing what we lost yesterday and is beginning to clearly stick to the trees. Maybe a half inch of new stuff already. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

That is a really nice band lifting north through the south sound. Looking like it will drop a few inches in favored places. Even with the model trends tonight will be very interesting for many places.

Nice little spin on the satellite moving north towards Olympic Peninsula.

CODNEXLAB-GOES-West-subregional-Pac_NW-02-16_51Z-20230227_map_noBar-21-1n-10-100.gif

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

25 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

It’s pretty much everywhere south of Everett that’s in trouble as of this morning. When all the models shifted this morning that’s a pretty strong signal that this is going to bust IMO. 

Lol you guys are funny. I wake up and see this crap.

Let's be honest, you don't care. If it's not the Euro, you don't believe it.

• Sad 1

195572.png?1673757432

25 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Looking like the house will get a couple inches this morning. Driving me crazy not to be there!! 

Insane difference between there and work, just some patches of snow at work and 34 degrees with some flurries and at home it was 31 and snowing with snow on the trees and about 4 inches left in the shade from yesterday.

Yeah I really dislike that as well! I just got to work which is 0.8 mile from my house and there is maybe a generous half inch and no snow on the trees, but it’s at 350’ and my house is around 580’…Always a huge difference unless we are in a December 2008 type situation where elevation makes no difference. I want to go home!!! Lol! That is what made December 2021 so special with it happening between Christmas and New Years, I always take that time off work and that time it was perfect timing!! Here is work and here is home when I left 10min ago. 

E8810AB0-F9AC-4CF0-84CB-061B95F5CD0A.jpeg

665BC342-18E2-494F-89A5-446C9400A8D7.jpeg

• Like 8

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

4 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Yeah I really dislike that as well! I just got to work which is 0.8 mile from my house and there is maybe a generous half inch and no snow on the trees, but it’s at 350’ and my house is around 580’…Always a huge difference unless we are in a December 2008 type situation where elevation makes no difference. I want to go home!!! Lol! That is what made December 2021 so special with it happening between Christmas and New Years, I always take that time off work and that time it was perfect timing!! Here is work and here is home when I left 10min ago. 

E8810AB0-F9AC-4CF0-84CB-061B95F5CD0A.jpeg

665BC342-18E2-494F-89A5-446C9400A8D7.jpeg

Quit your job. Now.

- Life coach

• Like 1
  • lol 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

6 minutes ago, Kolk1604 said:

Lol you guys are funny. I wake up and see this crap.

Let's be honest, you don't care. If it's not the Euro, you don't believe it.

The consensus of all the other models despite them generally being less skillful than the euro is still a valuable tool. Still a lot of uncertainty to how tomorrow morning plays out…could still go ok but I doubt it…especially if the euro shifts in the direction of the other models. 

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

30 minutes ago, Fircrest said:

You are far enough west to actually see something I guess.  I am currently up the hill on 19th near Parks HQ and nothing happening...though I did see a couple of flakes 😃

We’ve had a few flurries but that’s it. Sky is brightening now so I think that’s it. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Dumping here at work in Port orchard. 

20230227_090805.jpg

Same scene out here in Sunnyslope, too. I'm calling it now: if the precipitation sticks around all day, like it's "supposed" to, and somehow we manage to avoid it turning to rain at any point, then the 4-5 inches they predicted for us is lowballing it. 

• Like 1

Another pic from work, and the same pic zoomed in, you can see just the slightest elevation makes a huge difference! I am behind those snow covered trees and even higher than that. And my computer is also unsure about the incoming precip type! 

82D606B0-3C9A-4C09-ADC7-312F83FD5BDE.jpeg

D23C26DC-05B3-4874-B18C-55A8C1879284.jpeg

30D57BDC-D809-46B5-B517-8FC1B55B2612.jpeg

7D652DF9-3B7E-4D0A-9420-5039DEEAF934.jpeg

• Like 4
  • scream 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

15 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

6B854B63-4140-46BE-BB8E-DDE93A767BAF.jpeg

I feel this so hard. Nothing here last night. I was a little splotch of green in a sea of blue the night before.

Every single day seems to be a "Looks ok for the South Sound" evening, and every day--nothing. Nothing but a few traces since our November snow.

I mean it's even snowing on the coast right now, but this little neighborhood in North Puyallup can't catch a break! Give me somethin!

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I feel like the models will be useless the next 36 hrs. The snow maps are all over the place.

Yeah, despite the majority of the models going to crap there’s still a decent chance everything turns out fine. Considering that they’re all over the place maybe we shouldn’t put much faith into any one solution right now and go off the trademarked GOLU/radar models. 

• Like 3