6.9 Quake Hits Indonesia, 90+ dead

A 6.9 quake struck at Loloan, Indonesia on Aug. 4th at a depth of 31 km.

A tsunami warning was issued but cancelled.

90+ people have died. Widespread damage.

Interactive map

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us1000g3ub#map

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us1000g3ub#origin

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

A 6.9 quake struck at Loloan, Indonesia on Aug. 4th at a depth of 31 km.

A tsunami warning was issued but cancelled.

90+ people have died. Widespread damage.

Interactive map

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us1000g3ub#map

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us1000g3ub#origin

I found this to be interesting....

"In the region surrounding the August 5, 2018 earthquake, there have been six other events of M 6.5 or larger over the previous century. Four of these are likely to have occurred on the back arc thrust system; a M 6.5 in the Bali region to the west of Lombok in July 1976, and three events of M 6.5, M6.5, and M 6.6 in the Sumbawa region to the east of Lombok in November 2007 and November 2009. The Sumbawa earthquakes were associated with several deaths, hundreds of injuries, and hundreds of houses being destroyed."

The years are interesting. 1976, 2007 and 2009. Solar minimums if I'm not mistaken.

Interesting comparison. If you get a chance, it would be interesting if you could add to that premise.

The Indian Plate is moving northward ~2" per year under the Eurasian Plate. I wonder if this contributes to the big quakes?

Nepal deals with large quakes from periodic slips. The last one devastated Katmandu.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Interesting comparison. If you get a chance, it would be interesting if you could add to that premise.

The Indian Plate is moving northward ~2" per year under the Eurasian Plate. I wonder if this contributes to the big quakes?

Nepal deals with large quakes from periodic slips. The last one devastated Katmandu.

I'm not sure exactly but to me it confirms that solar activity and geomagnetic both falling below a certain point in conjunction does in fact increase seismic activity.

• 2 weeks later...

Two large quakes struck today that sent landslides down Mt. Rinjani and making residents on the island extremely worried.

The final death toll from the Aug 4th Quake was 460

July 2018 Lombok earthquake (Mw and Richter: 6.4)

August 5, 2018 Lombok earthquake (Mw: 6.9, Richter: 7.0)

August 9, 2018 (Richter: 5.9)

Two August 19, 2018 Lombok earthquakes (Richter: 6.4 and 6.9)

IMG_3329.JPG

• Like 1