2/7 - 2/11 Texarkana Low

Tom

I'm sure we are over an inch, but the snow rate is very inconsistent.  We'll get a nice burst, then it quickly fades, another burst, another fade.  Now it has suddenly become very light with a bit of mix again.

The locals were talking about strong wind with the snow, but there is very little wind.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

7 minutes ago, sumweatherdude said:

Forgot there was a thread for this. Sorry about the cross post.  

The NWS really blew the forecast here in KC last night. When I checked the forecast at 8 pm, they were calling for 0 inches of snow in my area.  The forecast discussion talked about maybe a dusting north of KC (I live on the south side).  I ended up with almost 3 inches in my yard and 2 inches on my driveway.  My wife had to drive to the airport at 6am this morning, and counted 26 cars that had slid off the road.  image.thumb.jpeg.863cda25e268c7a78cf591e94f2315e6.jpeg

I heard they had to close the airport down for a little while this morning to clear the runways. This was the surprise that kc really needed!! The only local forecaster to get this right was Joe Lauria as he upped his totals cause his gut was telling him this storm will work a favor for us 

• Like 2

Didn't bother with the 3 hour round trip drive to Cascade, hope I don't regret it. This morning HRRR said hardly any snow there and the most aggressive model had 6in. Accuweather says they already had 3 inches up there but I'm just not seeing it.

Plenty of rain down here though. Hurray for snowboarding on ice.

No snow here last night, but over 2" storm total. The wrap around kind of busted here but I see a few inches up in KC at least! 

• Like 4

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

I'm measuring from 4.5-5.5" total out there right now. Would like to see some other snow reports to see if that's closer to true, or if I'm just getting a bad measurement now that it's been blowing around a little. 

Didn't know if it'd be coming down at that kind of pace still. Flakes aren't as big earlier, but they're still coming down at a great pace. 

• Like 5
  • Snow 1

I measured 1.5" on my driveway, but that is with significant compaction.  I would bet that if I were diligently clearing a snow board and measuring every hour, we'd be able to take another inch on to that.  So it wouldn't surprise me to see some snow totals of 2+" around here.  And it is still coming down pretty decent right now.  So I can't complain . We're getting a daytime snow storm with moderate to heavy bouts of snow.  The total accumulation won't do this storm justice.   

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Jayhawker85 said:

I heard they had to close the airport down for a little while this morning to clear the runways. This was the surprise that kc really needed!! The only local forecaster to get this right was Joe Lauria as he upped his totals cause his gut was telling him this storm will work a favor for us 

When a human touch comes into play and not just relying on data from a computer to make a forecast.  Kiddos to him!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sumweatherdude said:

By evening, several of the models were showing us getting accumulating snow.  The NAM (bless its heart) had been showing it for a few days.  I know the temp profile meant it could have gone either way, but the NWS and other local mets probably should have been more vocal about the possibility of snow.  Might have prevented some of those accidents.

My wife's plane still hasn't left.  Was supposed to leave at 7:45.   She's going to Chicago.  Weather there has slowed things down too.

Really poor job by the KC office.  I know the difference between getting it right and way wrong was slight in this instance but they are in the get it right business and they whiffed bad.  They even broke down the NAM in yesterday's AFD and still ignored its output. 

• Facepalm 1

14 minutes ago, East Dubzz said:

Wow I have zero desire to keep shoveling. This is just so heavy.

1.5" is heavy.  I can't imagine trying to clean 7+" of this stuff.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

NAM for the win in KC. HRRR too...the perfect commahead came over KC this morning. Very wet storm, but, temps once again were a problem. 3-4 inches of snow was common around KC, however, it snowed 6-8 inches easy between 1:00am and 7:30am. It just fell on a warm ground, compacted quickly, even on the grass....temps at 32-33. This would have been a foot of snow easy with yesterday's rain and the comma head early this morning had we had 25-28 degree air. The 4th 32-33 degree storm this winter. Now, the snow is almost gone in parts of the city as the 40+ degree sunshine is going to work on it. 

It was a beautiful winter scene very early today, lot of traffic problems and airports were closed for a few hours when he 1-2 inch/hr rates hit. 

Up next, a wild finish to FEB. with the potential of some much colder air the second half of the month with several storm coming out of the SW????We'll see...

• Like 3
  • Popcorn 1

Found a couple spots on my deck that look untouched. Measured 7.5" in all of them. Which seems to match up with the reports around me as well. Snowfall isn't accumulating much at the moment, as it's slowed down considerably and it's compacting.

Not very often do you beat the upper end of a snowfall forecast!

• Like 3

My final total is 1.8".  It is now raining as the temp has warmed and the final precip band moves through.

• Like 1

My liquid total is 0.94".  I'll take that considering some models shifted so far southeast they had only 0.2-0.4" here.

• Like 3

A very difficult event to  measure.  I reported 2.2"  at the end of 6 hours. But the last 3 it fell fairly  light and compacted.  Had I measured  at 10 or 11 am  would've  been more.  The water content  was incredible!  As .72 rain had fallen before  the switch to snow. No doubt  near 1.25" melted.. I was very impressed  with accuracy  in the modeling. Even the time of the change over then back to rain around noon.  My seasonal snow total now  15 inches.

20230209_083642.jpg

20230209_090758.jpg

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, gimmesnow said:

It's already over iceresistance. Next exciting winter storm we have to look forward to is rain from Oklahoma to Michigan! Get ready!

No, I'm talking about a secondary system that is right behind the one that gave me some snow last night.

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

Storm summary and a very wet one.  

*RECORDS***...The 1.53" of precipitation that Kansas City received today broke the daily record of 0.81" set in 1894. Normal rainfall for the entire month of February in KC is 1.48". It was the 3rd wettest February day on the 135-year record for KC! The 3.7" of snow KC received today was a daily record breaking the old record of 2.5" in 2001.

0d40d5_241bd97d37b44318820fee07de555263~mv2.png

• Like 4

My cocorahs gage with melted  slush had event total of 1.01. Which is probably  a little  low since  not much fell in into the tube and it melted so fast i didn't  get a core sample. 

The ambient gage had  1.20  is was probably  more accurate.

At any rate a incredibly  wet event  for  February.  My  3rd rain or mix event  near or over 1 inch this Jan and Feb..   very wet events for this area!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Clinton said:

Storm summary and a very wet one.  

*RECORDS***...The 1.53" of precipitation that Kansas City received today broke the daily record of 0.81" set in 1894. Normal rainfall for the entire month of February in KC is 1.48". It was the 3rd wettest February day on the 135-year record for KC! The 3.7" of snow KC received today was a daily record breaking the old record of 2.5" in 2001.

0d40d5_241bd97d37b44318820fee07de555263~mv2.png

Clinton, I know 3.7 inches of snow was light as far as totals go,  we had properties that we service in that area that had 4-5 inches on the pavement that we measured. NW of Interstate 35 had to turn over to snow a few hours earlier. Just this morning, I was in that area and they are still fully snow covered with rather large snow piles. The rest of the city lost a lot of their snow cover yesterday. 

Only if this same storm had 28 degrees to work with...

I

• Like 4

• Tom unpinned this topic