2017-18 dryness vs 1967-68 which was a better year?

WeatherArchive

Which was a better year and was 1967-68 more Tim or Jesse index and if so how deep into the index out of a scale of 5?  Perhaps that following winter was more Snow Whizard style due to the chilly January and the skiffs of snow in December 1967? 

Here is a newspaper image from the Corvallis Gazette Times from Jan 3rd 1968 explaining the previous year in detail.  Pretty amazing and similarities almost like nature is trying to "remember" hopefully the following December is just as interesting.  I got it by going here. https://cbcpubliclibrary.net/collections/eresources/?doing_wp_cron=1535413775.2185609340667724609375click on magazines and newspapers then the little blue link newspapers.com as the library is subscribed to the + edition  for only the Corvallis collection but covers all the years up to this year.  Click on the (right) paper which has most of the images. The two other papers are junk.   Not even sure why they are there.   

For some odd reason it doesn't require a login prompt and just says welcome Benton Library. It's been that way since spring when I discovered it  so it's not exactly new.

Hmmm my PDF file of the newspaper is not showing up. Why?  I'll try the hot link then. https://corvallisgazettetimes.newspapers.com/image/384080620/does this show up properly? I don't think it will work on phones it's not "dumbed down" enough so if your a ****phone user on those teeny tiny screens too bad so sad I guess but for those who can see it big enough does it show up or does it ask for a subscription? I'm doing it after logging in thru that library link.   This is page 2 by the way of Jan 3rd 1968.  Warm,Dry Weather Was Feature of 1967.  

Here is the skiff of snow that December after a moderate cool wave. https://corvallisgazettetimes.newspapers.com/image/384145929/ Clear Skies,Freezing to Follow Snow.  However the next day warm SW flow took over.

• Like 1

I think 1967/68 was more +Jesse index and -Tim index than 2017/18, based on the midwinter patterns and the summers that followed.

How about for your area in the highlands of Virginia? Do you still live up there?

Last year was a frustrating mix of too-cold-to-snow and blowtorching until February and March. I would have enjoyed 1967/68 much more.

• 3 weeks later...

When you get below freezing do you get a lot of frost/hoar frost?

Early in the season (like October or early November) we get heavy frosts since there’s more antecedent moisture around. But once into January/February, it’s usually too dry for frost.

The “average” low bottoms at ~ 22.5*F here during the last week of January (with dewpoints typically in the teens during that period). So it’s quite dry.

WGjIBeZ.jpg