September 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

TigerWoodsLibido

10 consecutive days!   Highlighting one of the annoying aspects of our climate.     

A streak of 10 days or more has happened just 3 times in history in Washington DC... once in 1873.    The all-time record was set in May 2016 with 13 days.    13 days?    :lol:

Hey guys I'm Tim, I dislike persistently rainy weather which is why I made the logical step to move from San Diego to the Cascade foothills of North Bend, WA.

Only 7 of the last 12 days have seen measurable precip at SEA, with two of those 7 only getting .01" and a third getting .05" at night after a warm and mostly sunny day. It might be different at your comically wet location but in the lowlands where the vast of people live it has by no means been persistently damp.

• Like 2

Hey guys I'm Tim, I dislike persistently rainy weather which is why I made the logical step to move from San Diego to the Cascade foothills of North Bend, WA.

Only 7 of the last 12 days have seen measurable precip at SEA, with two of those 7 only getting .01" and a third getting .05" at night after a warm and mostly sunny day. It might be different at your comically wet location but in the lowlands where the vast of people live it has by no means been persistently damp.

It rained across a good portion of western WA for 10 consecutive days.     And many of us up here have pointed out that it was in fact persistently damp.

Seattle was shadowed... as been pointed out several times.    

Jim lives just a little to the southeast of SEA and can attest that it was very wet.    Some of you always seem to imply that this only happens in my backyard.  Its easy to say but its wrong.  

This month is proof positive September isn't always nice here.  It has rained every day for a week now and I've had over 2 inches of rain since the weather turned.  This is one of those years it simply changed over night and that was it.  I'm still quite confident of a cold fall / very early winter.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Fact is that it was unusually persistently wet for September in western WA.

I jokingly praised Randy for doing his part to bring back the nice weather.   

And the Oregon folks chime in to tell us that it has NOT been wet up here.    We don't live in Oregon! 

anomimage.gif

Its been wet up here... we are ready for some more nice weather.      Very simple.     B)  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

If you are going to use the words of someone whose credibility you have worked for years to undermine to back up your argument, you might have a weak argument.

Not at all... Jim and I live in the same area and our perception of our local weather is usually very similar.

Why?   Because we actually live in the same area!   Go figure.    :lol:

The multiple overachieving Covington snow events over the years bears this out.

Dumb point.

The vast majority of the time our weather is very similar... and you know that.    

A pleasant 55 out there tonight.  Got down to 39 last night so let's see if we can best that.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

A streak of 10 days or more has happened just 3 times in history in Washington DC... once in 1873. The all-time record was set in May 2016 with 13 days. 13 days? :lol:

Come on, brother.

We’ve now had 61 inches of rain since May 1st. You’ve had what, maybe 8”? Mushrooms are literally blanketing the landscape right now.

I think you are overstating the similarities a bit at the moment.

No way.    We almost always have the same basic weather.    Just a matter of a couple degrees with precip in the winter makes a big difference in snow totals but that is only a tiny portion of all time.

Jim is probably 10-12 miles away as the crow flies.  

Fact is that it was unusually persistently wet for September in western WA.

I jokingly praised Randy for doing his part to bring back the nice weather.

And the Oregon folks chime in to tell us that it has NOT been wet up here. We don't live in Oregon!

anomimage.gif

Its been wet up here... we are ready for some more nice weather. Very simple. B)

Been insanely wet over the last week...I’m not complaining too much since my grass has completely greened up which is nice before the growing season ends. But yeah I’m ready for a break now. I did get my rain gauge today so that’s exciting!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Come on, brother.

We’ve now had 61 inches of rain since May 1st. You’ve had what, maybe 8”? Mushrooms are literally blanketing the landscape right now.

I really need to take a little trip... to Portland to see a vast wasteland of dead trees and to DC to see a blanket of mushrooms stretching for miles!

Side note... I actually found some mushrooms growing in my lawn today. First time since June.

10 consecutive days with rain makes them very happy.

Been insanely wet over the last week...I’m not complaining too much since my grass has completely greened up which is nice before the growing season ends. But yeah I’m ready for a break now. I did get my rain gauge today so that’s exciting!

I am not really complaining either... everything is green again and we are probably set up nicely now for amazing fall colors.     It would have been annoying if it was just going to keep going... too early for that crap.

I really need to take a little trip... to Portland to see a vast wasteland of dead trees and to DC to see a blanket of mushrooms stretching for miles!

Side note... I actually found some mushrooms growing in my lawn today. First time since June. 10 consecutive days with rain makes them very happy.

Some of the trees here are actually coming under stress from anthracose fungus thanks to the excess rain. The London Plane trees lining our streets are over 50% defoliated already, with piles of brown leaves covering the streets as if it was late October.

This was back on September 7th.

Sqw6OqQ.jpg

You always come during our annual 8-week dry spell... best summer weather in the country!

I agree with that!

Given the fact that May-August was warmer+drier than normal in your area for the 6th consecutive year, I’m not sure how you could possibly be complaining. It could be much worse.

• Like 1

And you are only at about 300% of your normal rainfall up there this month. 

Stop complaining about it being wet... you are just making it up!     Its only been wet in my backyard.   Bone dry elsewhere.  

I agree with that!

Given the fact that May-August was warmer+drier than normal in your area for the 6th consecutive year, I’m not sure how you could possibly be complaining. It could be much worse.

Who is complaining? We just said that its been pretty wet and it would be nice if it dried out and warmed up again for a little while That is all. So simple. Looks like nature will balance it out a little now.

Who is complaining? We just said that its been pretty wet and it would be nice if dried out and warmed up again for a little while That is all.

So simple. Looks like nature will balance it out a little now.

Well, that’s your climate. The warm/dry anomalies from May-August were much more impressive than this stretch of moderate troughing and drizzle over the last 10 days.

As you said, it’s just mother nature balancing the scale a little bit. And she’s going easy on you, believe me.

• Like 1

Well, that’s your climate. The warm/dry anomalies from May-August are MUCH more impressive than this moderate troughing and drizzle over the last 10 days.

If anything, it’s just mother nature balancing the scale a little bit. And she’s going easy on you, believe me.

Blah... blah... blah.

For our area (Randy and Jim and myself and anyone else north and east of Seattle) it was a typical 8-week dry period this year and then the faucet turned on again.

We are still wetter than normal for 2018.

I expect rain all of November and December. I know how it works. ;)

Have you ever considered moving to Phoenix?

I think it might suit you better. ;)

He could become an Arizona Cardinals fan. Boy they look great so far!!

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Have you ever considered moving to Phoenix?

I think it might suit you better. ;)

No.  I would hate to live in Phoenix full time.    Been there many times.   Maybe a second home to spend time there from January - March... that might be nice.

No.  I would hate to live in Phoenix full time.    Been there many times.   Maybe a second home to spend time there from January - March... that might be nice.

My best friend moved to Glendale his Jr. year of high school so I went down a couple times to visit him. It was nice. A little hot for me, but I get the appeal of the area. That valley fever or whatever is nothing to mess around with though. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I will be in Dallas on Monday. I will be interested to see if the grass is green or brown.

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

You should try Prescott.  More rain then Peenix and even a bit more snow but pretty manageable as old sol does it's magic trick with only 1 in every 4 years being truly "bad" if you can call it that and only if you live in the high hills above 5,500 feet as the town is at 5,000 proper. http://www.city-data.com/forum/prescott/2694785-snow-prescott-chino-valley-3.html You can choose between Chino Valley where the "sprawl" as they locally call it or the historic town proper which gets a bit more snow but it's all in perspective.   Take a look at the thread.  I actually am intruiged by it.   Flagstaff's problem is the snow is either midwest style where it doesn't know when to quit or they have a REAAAAAAAAAAAAALY crappy ski year (or years) though I am not sure which is tougher in handling the snow or they are both tough and don't shut down.

00Z ECMWF delays the system on Friday... does not really arrive in WA until Saturday morning.

Total rain through Sunday morning...

ecmwf_tprecip_washington_19_1.png

The search for significant rain continues for the central and south valley.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

My lawn is still brown. Could be dead. No sign of any greening yet.

I have a section of lawn that I let go dormant and it still looks tan.   That is after more than 5 inches of rain in 10 days.   Takes awhile to wake up... might wait until next spring.  

I have a section of lawn that I let go dormant and it still looks tan. That is after more than 5 inches of rain in 10 days. Takes awhile to wake up... might wait until next spring.

I’ll probably reseed it all in the spring. If it comes back it’s going to be pretty patchy.