September 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

TigerWoodsLibido

East wind at PDX! Kind of an interesting pattern we are in today.

Would be a lot of fun in 2 months.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Yeah, I have seen it do that with the whole run, and you can usually tell because the times don't match the high and low temperatures.

I haven't seen it do that with just the last half of the run before, though. Threw me off.

I believe you were intentionally presenting false data. No excuses. Everything has an evil intent. Always!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Snowing on the Merritt to Kamloops stretch. Which is higher than the Hope to Merritt section.

Did you do the Fraser Canyon at all?

Just the lower part, around Hope and down toward Abbotsford.

We drove 97C from Kelowna to Merritt, then took 5 over Coquihalla to Hope. I would like to travel the part of the Fraser Gorge upstream of there one of these days, though.

Just the lower part, around Hope and down toward Abbotsford.

We drove 97C from Kelowna to Merritt, then took 5 over Coquihalla to Hope. I would like to travel the part of the Fraser Gorge upstream of there one of these days, though.

97C is one of the highest roads in BC, over 5600ft. Definitely snowing up there. It’s drier country though, and sees less snow than the lower more coastal passes during the winter.

The Fraser canyon, from Hope to Cache Creek, is far more scenic than most of the mountain pass highways, IMO

• Like 3

Are you talking mostly in terms of ENSO? Seems like solar is a lot different this time around, for whatever that is worth. Blob/raging +PDO is gone too.

Yeah, ENSO/warm WHEM SSTs in general and the +PMM. The Indo-Pacific is colder this year, so there has been less WPAC forcing so far (less phase 6-7, more phase 8-1). You’re also correct about solar..it is definitely having an affect in the subtropical stratosphere already.

As for the blob/high latitude SSTAs, that stuff is largely overrated as the tropics can overwhelm any minor feedback effects from the colder, extratropical waters, based on most of the research I’m aware of.

Early to call for a cold October, but I’m definitely liking the fact that the first week is looking cool. We’ll see where it goes from there.

Keep in mind that what’s driving this pattern is convective forcing in the WHEM (phases 8/1) and a warming tropical tropopause, which promotes western troughing in S/O/N, but would suck a big one during the winter.

That *doesn’t* mean it will stay this way (there will almost certainly be variability in a weak ENSO regime) but it does indicate the October = destiny stuff has no legitimate dynamic foundation.

Watching the PNW transition into autumn so early every year (in conjunction with the nice summers and beautiful topography) really makes me consider moving somewhere out there once I finish school. It’s a legit possibility at this point.

I’m sick of roasting until November every year, then freezing my arse off in March/April (before instantly flipping back to swamp in May). Motherf**ker.

Watching the PNW transition into autumn so early every year (in conjunction with the nice summers and beautiful topography) really makes me consider moving somewhere out there once I finish school. It’s a legit possibility at this point.

I’m sick of roasting until November every year, then freezing my arse off in March/April (before instantly flipping back to swamp in May). Motherf**ker.

Nope. Stay away. It's awful here. ;)

• Like 1

Share the wealth please!

More 95*F+ heat indices on the way here.

We've been having quite the run here. September will go down as another below average month. 10 of the past 12 months have been below average here in Bozeman. January and May of this year have been the only above average months in that stretch.  

Fully expecting things to finally completely flip here come January though.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

I was listening to a national show on 710 ESPN this morning and they were going though the picks for each game.   When they got to the Seahawks-Cardinals game... one of the announcers said that just saying those team names puts him to sleep and the other one said nobody cares about this game but lets make a pick anyways.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

• Like 1

Personal Stats:

Venmo

I agree with you Tim, the Seahawks are an absolutely horrible team made up of white beaters and cheaters. Any semblance of success should not be confused with the fact it’s the opposing team making a mistake that even a Pop Warner team would capitalize. Stand with Tim and I and demand that this abhorrent team be removed from Seattle and sent somewhere more deserving, like San Antonio or Oklahoma City.

Do you call into the local radio shows every time they say negative things about the Seahawks with this same comment? :)

Only as often as you offer optimism about cold air and football.

Almost to the time of year when I love cold air. :)

Seriously though... the radio shows are always saying negative things. Particularly the last couple years.

Almost to the time of year when I love cold air. :)

Seriously though... the radio shows are always saying negative things. Particularly the last couple years.

Are they national radio shows? They aren’t a well liked team outside of the NW. I saw a poll had them as 5th most hated.

They are kind of wasting Wilson’s best years right now.

Are they national radio shows? They aren’t a well liked team outside of the NW. I saw a poll had them as 5th most hated.

They are kind of wasting Wilson’s best years right now.

Local radio shows.   For example... Mike Salk on 710 is a brutal realist.    He tells like it is... good or bad.     

After the first 2 weeks... it was all doom and gloom.   You did not hear anything positive at all on any of the local shows or in the Seattle Times. 

I did not hear anyone saying good things.   I guess I have never met an eternal optimist Seahawks fan like Fred.   ;)

And Thomas is out. Lovely.

He will retire now.

Every time there is a cart... its over.    Aaron Rodgers gets carted off and comes back in the SAME GAME and then leads the team to victory.   Seahawks see a cart and its see ya next year at the earliest.  

He will retire now.

Every time there is a cart... its over. Aaron Rodgers gets carted off and comes back in the SAME GAME and then leads the team to victory. Seahawks see a cart and its see ya next year at the earliest.

Last play as a Seahawk anyway.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Time for the Hawks to hit the reset button.

Personal Stats:

Venmo