2/14 - 2/17 Cutter and Panhandle Hook

Clinton

On 2/16/2023 at 8:32 PM, Sparky said:

I ended up with a storm total of around 10.5" from two measurements as I had at least 5" more after the 5.5" report this morning. Probably around 1" less with just one measurement. Total liquid equivalent is 1.18" from 4 different gauges all showing 1.10" or more. I took two core samples which yielded about the same amount of liquid! I could have probably easily gotten a foot if it wouldn't have been for the lull and the weakening snow shield in the afternoon. I sent my final report to the NWS this evening. 

What I meant about two measurements was a second measurement after clearing the snowboards one time and one measurement meaning it never was cleared. I actually measured in dozens of spots. Later thought my post doesn't make much sense and maybe still doesn't. Lol 

8 hours ago, Sparky said:

I ended up with a storm total of around 10.5" from two measurements as I had at least 5" more after the 5.5" report this morning. Probably around 1" less with just one measurement. Total liquid equivalent is 1.18" from 4 different gauges all showing 1.1" or more. I took two core samples which yielded about the same amount of liquid! I could have probably easily gotten a foot if it wouldn't have been for the lull and the weakening snow shield in the afternoon. I sent my final report to the NWS this evening. 

Wow, that's gotta be one of the biggest snows you've had in 5+ years, right?  I remember you were always to far SE and missing the bigger snows in recent years. Congrats!

ORD officially reported 2.0" and IMBY a tad better 2.4"...the last wave produced 0.9" of big fat dendrites as the top layer has that "bumpy" look to it.  To bad this snow will be gone by Sunday.

• Like 3

@indianajohnare you getting hit pretty good with the LES band?  Looks pretty intense!

Taking a look back at the models, the NAM was actually not the best models and the GFS op appeared to have been the steadiest model showing the heavier band of snow to fall farther North.  Last nights radar had heavy snow falling way up north into N MI and I don't remember (or maybe I wasn't paying attn) most models had the heavier band falling through GRR and C MI.  

How did you guys do in northern MI?  I think @jaster220will be seeing some good snow up there during his visit.

Congrats to all that had a nice snow storm...especially the Omaha Dome, it must have been opened yesterday.

Here in KC, a freezing drizzle mess, a couple thunderstorms with sleet  and some light snow yesterday afternoon. Temps were above freezing through 3am yesterday morning along with pavement temps, come 6am, temps dropped to 26-28 and pavement temps followed. Flash freeze is what happened throughout the city in areas that did not have enough treatment down. KCI airport had to shut down again for the second time in two weeks due to poorly timed freezing precip. 

Just not our winter down here even know parts of the city are way above average on moisture. I mean way above!! What could have been had it been a colder winter. 

• Like 6

Multiple reports in my town and neighboring towns of 8 to 8.5".  When I went in the back yard last night, I noticed there was a lot more snow than where I was measuring in the front.  I believe the 8" total now for Tiffin, so that is what I will go with here.  

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Tom said:

Wow, that's gotta be one of the biggest snows you've had in 5+ years, right?  I remember you were always to far SE and missing the bigger snows in recent years. Congrats!

ORD officially reported 2.0" and IMBY a tad better 2.4"...the last wave produced 0.9" of big fat dendrites as the top layer has that "bumpy" look to it.  To bad this snow will be gone by Sunday.

Thank you! I'm thinking the previous largest snowfall here was a late November big dog weenie band a few years ago, maybe in 2018. I'll try to remember to look that up. Yes even only 40 miles north usually averages quite a bit more per season though not necessarily bigger events. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CentralNebWeather said:

I have a small Toro Power Clear. It does as well or better than the bigger ones I’ve had in the past. I don’t get sore since it is lightweight and easily maneuverable. It went through our wetter type 14” snow last month and the drifts from this 10.5” storm. 

I did it the good ol' fashioned way and figured the exercise is good for me anyway. 

• Tom unpinned this topic
On 2/17/2023 at 5:57 AM, Tom said:

@indianajohnare you getting hit pretty good with the LES band?  Looks pretty intense!

Taking a look back at the models, the NAM was actually not the best models and the GFS op appeared to have been the steadiest model showing the heavier band of snow to fall farther North.  Last nights radar had heavy snow falling way up north into N MI and I don't remember (or maybe I wasn't paying attn) most models had the heavier band falling through GRR and C MI.  

How did you guys do in northern MI?  I think @jaster220will be seeing some good snow up there during his visit.

1878212999_GRR23-02-1711amSnowtotals.thumb.png.e3a29d0dc104099de70e3c6893ad65b5.png

I noticed that too. NMI again not denied. APX even had maps with the most falling much further S like you mention. NMI the snow magnet. Not as fond of Detroit ofc and tossed me 0.4" of mix. Again more salt than snow everywhere you look-uggh! Nice to see some Peeps like OMA crew finally scoring tho. Way overdue.

As for seeing some when I head north tomorrow, I may just see the rare breed Clipper

1035573453_APX23-02-18ClipperGraphic.thumb.png.9cdea9abe38564303b898792b6464b19.png

• Like 2

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = xx.x" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

On 2/17/2023 at 4:53 AM, Tom said:

On 2/18/2023 at 2:23 AM, Sparky said:

Thank you! I'm thinking the previous largest snowfall here was a late November big dog weenie band a few years ago, maybe in 2018. I'll try to remember to look that up. Yes even only 40 miles north usually averages quite a bit more per season though not necessarily bigger events. 

I forgot to look it up till now, but yes, my previous larger snowfall was approximately 12" on November 25 of 2018 when there also was a little thunder snow. 

https://www.weather.gov/dvn/summary_112518

The maps totals are a bit low for my location as I was literally on the north edge of the heaviest snow band. I recall seeing less snow only 1 -2 miles north. 

It appears that Chicago also reeled in that storm. My link includes a link to LOT's writeup. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1