2/21 - 2/24 Powerhouse Upper Midwest/GL's Winter Storm

Tom

The post President's Day major Winter Storm is shaping up to be one of the biggest snowstorms of the season for a huge swath of the Upper MW/Northwoods and N GL's region.  @Northland09 @hawkstwelve @Madtown @james1976 @MNTonka All of our MSP peeps look golden at this range but those on the southern border of MN into N IA and S WI could be in for a nasty ice/mix scenario.

Let's discuss this storms potential mid next week...

1.gif

@CentralNebWeatherand @Bryan1117 @gabel23 OMA crew could get lucky again and remain all snow while those farther east get a "front-end" thump before the warm front pushes north.  The stinkin' -PNA is becoming a dagger for those of us farther south...how many times have we experienced "BAD TIMING"!  Ughh, not the winter for us this season...

image.png

0z EPS trending stronger with the -PNA....SER is going beast mode...early Spring break down in Florida anyone???

image.png

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Madtown said:

well this would brighten moods here. all but closed the trails with this last rain storm. not getting hopes up, but it looks awesome as of now. see what it looks like 24hrs out. Plenty of vacancies as of now Tom. 

Thanks man...this is just what the businesses need from nature up that way...been quite and warm for too long.  Things are going to turn around big time for the rest of this season.

I hadn’t really been watching this storm to closely as I was celebrating the last storm and clearing snow yesterday. Our forecast now has a 40% chance of snow Tuesday night and snow likely Wednesday. That southward shift must have been seen in the forecasts. More to track as we enjoy our new deep snowpack. Really enjoying how this winter has shaped up around here. 

• Like 3

Okay, I'm going to reel this one south....the artic air is going to push harder and drive the storm down to KC! OR, we might be on the warm side and shoot into the 60's and 70's next Wednesday.... 

12z data, start your massive trend south...it's okay, you can give KC one legit snow storm this year. We appreciate all the beautiful rains, but, just one time, please. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

As mentioned, a nice jump on the 06z GFS. I was hoping we'd see this happen sooner or later. Too much northward trend across last night's model suite.

Was this the start of a reversal? Or simply a blip? 12z runs will be telling.

trend-gfs-2023021706-f174.snku_acc-imp.us_nc.gif

Battle of air masses.  Which one wins out?  Long way to go with this one.  It will flip flop hundreds miles I believe until the models get a better handle on the Arctic HP and how much the cold can bleed in.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Northland09 said:

I am so excited! Hoping this one doesn't disappoint! I made a bet with my sister in the fall that we'll be getting 70"+ of snowfall this year, so it best not fail me now 🤣

What are you sitting at for the season?

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

What are you sitting at for the season?

The last time I heard which was the end of January, we had beat the average snowfall in a season for MSP (which is 51.2") and we were sitting at 52.1". We've had a couple small little inch or so snow storms since then, so I'm guessing around 54" for the season right now? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

People were actually talking about this one at work on Wednesday already. Was waiting for a thread to pop up about it.  They were however totally unaware a snowstorm was going on to the south of us in Nebraska, which caused some of our inputs coming up from Tennessee to get delayed.

Just now, MIKEKC said:

While everyone north of KC has the white gold next week, KC get dry slotted and shoots into the mid 70's next Wednesday. 

That sounds nice actually...LOL, I was just taking out the garbage in full sun and the higher sun angle is already melting the sheet of ice on the concrete that was unsalted.  It so dang bright from the sun reflecting off the snow pack!

• Like 3