Your All-time favorite winter storms list

jaster220

I finally put my list together for the other board. This started as a "Top 5" snowstorms list, but...

Guess I've experienced more than a handful of memorable storms. The more I thought, the more came back to me.

#8) Bliz of Jan 13-15 '79  Another winter, another blizzard. So went the years of my youth. This one delivered 15" where I grew up in SEMI and was a wetter heavier snow than the icy cold bliz a year before. I remember many snow days off from school during the active winter of 78-79. A friend and I even used snowshoes on the deep drifts.

#7) Bliz of Dec 2000  In S. Bend we got a legit bliz warning and scored 13" of snow. I knew a storm was possible so I arose early (before the 6 am news) and switched on my trusty NOAA Wx radio to catch the updated morning forecast from IWX. I was geeked when I heard WSWarning for the daytime followed by a Blizzard Warning beginning in the evening. It was a great storm that was everything it was forecasted to be. Played out exactly as forecasted.

#6) Super Bowl Super snowstorm of Feb 1-2 '15   2nd winter in a row that delivered an 18" snow here in Marshall. Just a non-stop long duration snow fall that brought us another deep snow cover in SMI. While the winds were sub-bliz conditions, we did get some legit bliz conditions a couple weeks later on Valentine's Day.

#5) PV Bliz of Jan 4-6  '14   My first CAT-4 storm in 15 yrs brought a solid 18" on top of existing snow cover of 3-4" for a 20+ depth. The deepest I'd seen since moving to Marshall in '02. Cleaning my driveway in -41F windchill on the evening of the 6th will always be tattooed on my psyche!

#4) Bliz of Nov 16-17  '89  Deer camp bliz that buried NMI with 12-24" after it transitioned from rain to snow. The winds were ferocious as the SLP bombed to 964 mb near James Bay Ontario. My trusty NOAA wx radio kept us abreast of happenings as we were in a small rental cabin without so much as a b&w television. The broadcast was out of KAPN and I remember vividly that the Presque Isle Light on Lake Huron was reporting Gusts to 91 knots! The winds raging thru the forest was insanely loud. I'm pretty certain those were the strongest winds for The Mitt since the great one in Jan '78.

#3) Bliz of Jan 1-3 '99   My place in S. Bend was slammed with 20" and drifts up to 40" and I was on the edge of the actual city limits. There was upwards of 27" just north in MI where I worked due to the follow-on LES. Blizz of '99 was the last classic bliz for me personally with large flakes, low vis, consistently high winds causing widespread road closures and disruption for 1-2 weeks in rural areas.

#2) April 2-3  '75  Not sure if there was TSSN as posted above where I lived, but the flakes were massive fatties and the storm dumped 18" of concrete in about 17 hrs. Everything was at a stand still. Later the next day the sun came out and it was 52F but the piles of pure white snow lasted well past green-up which was unique. Playing on snow piles and going to little league practice a couple weeks later was memorable. My sister and her husband borrowed his parent's snowmobiles and rescued stranded motorists on the state highway all night. They rode them over later the next day to tell us all about their adventures.

#1) Bliz of Jan 26-28 '78  I was a 13 yr old eighth grader and don't remember even being aware of a "storm watch" being in effect. My father wasn't one to let the weather interfere with his work, but that day he stayed home which made the occasion immediately memorable. We lived on the edge of a town and our 'hood was surrounded by farm fields. I remember there were massive drifts over the hedge rows and we would climb up about 8-10 feet and then the snow would give way and we would end up down inside an igloo of sorts. There was one apple tree that must've been a good 12 foot tall and it supported a drift that my buddy could ride his snowmobile over the top of it. There was literally a trail over the tree where previously nobody could go due to the farmer's fencing along his field. These kind of wx events are unforgettable as we are lucky if they happen once in our lifetimes.

Please share your's as well

• Like 3

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = xx.x" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

I have two problems.  First, there just haven't been many memorable snowfalls here.  I've never measured a foot.  Second, my memory sucks.  Even thought I'm a weather geek, I just don't remember many events from long ago.  It seems like many other weather geeks remember everything, as far back as their childhood.

One obvious choice for memorable snowstorm is the Groundhog Day blizzard.  The brunt just missed me to the southeast, but I received about 10 inches and of course got the strong wind.  That was the worst driveway drifting I've ever experienced.

• Like 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

I've only had one winter in Nebraska and I grew up in Mississippi, so my list will not be very impressive on a Midwestern board but here it goes:

#1: February 8, 2010: I believe the forecast was only 1-3", but I woke up to 8" of heavy wet snow. Best thing a fifth grader could wake up to on a Monday morning. I was 10 so still pretty short, but still remember how the snow was up to my knees in certain spots. 

#2: March 7, 2008: We were about to close out the season with no measurable snow, then this storm came along and dumped about 6 ". I was only 8, but still remember that snowy afternoon very fondly. 

#3: March 4-5, 2015: This is my favorite storm as an actual weather enthusiast. Went through every precipitation type on the day of the 4th. Woke up that morning and it was warm and humid. The cold front moved through during the day as did the rain, which turned to a cold rain and eventually to freezing rain by the early evening, sleet by 9, and snow by 1 am. Totals for this were about an inch of solid sleet and then about 2" of powder on top of it. Even though the next day was sunny and it was March, the temperature still didn't rise above freezing and it remained on the ground for a few days. Part of the reason this made the list was because it was just fun to track and very impressive for March.

#4: February 9, 2011: Quick moving but strong storm gave my backyard about 6" of powdery snow. This is the same storm that gave up to 2 feet for parts of Arkansas and Oklahoma!

#5: December 22, 2004: Somewhat similar in set up to the March 2015 storm, except more sleet and less snow. Received about 2" of solid sleet with a little snow on top. Roads were TERRIBLE for days as cold was locked in until after Christmas. This was my first White Christmas and since I was 5, it's also my first real winter memory. 

Even though last winter wasn't that bad, there's no Nebraska storms on this list because it was mostly nickel and dimers for Nebraska standards, but maybe one or two will make it on the list this winter  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

Blizzard 1996 (NYC) Best Blizzard I have eva seen. Snowfall total ......20-30" area wide.

• Like 2

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Great idea!! I'll get me a list wrote up on here soon. Might be snowed in this winter. :)

Thx. Maybe Tom can pin this for the winter since it won't allow me..

• Like 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

• Like 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Top winter storms

I have lived in 3 locations in my life time (Alpena, Michigan. Bay City, Michigan and Grand Rapids, Michigan). In my very early life time I live in Alpena, Michigan I was very young and of course I did not keep any kind of records from back then. We moved to Bay City Michigan in the spring of 1960 and that September 1st the city was hit with a major Derecho and the thunderstorm had 80+ MPH winds. There were so many trees down all around town that it was almost impossible to get around town. Much of the town was without power for more than a week and the clean up took much longer. School started a week later then planned due to trees and power lines still down. It was that storm that got me interested in my life long hobby of weather related events. Now on the topic of some of my most (biggest) winter time events. I have broken the list down between Bay City and Grand Rapids,

Bay City

7.  April 3 1975 snow storm that dropped 16" of snow with high winds and much thunder snow. This storm was very intense. This snow fell mostly from around 10 PM on the 2nd to about 2 AM on the 3rd I

6. in 5 place is the January 13 1979 storm that storm dropped 18" of snow on Bay City with high winds. After this storm the rest of January and February were very cold.

5. in 4th place on my list is February 24 1965 this storm also had high NE winds and a lot of 10 foot drifts. This storm dumped just over 18” in Bay City.

4. Next on the list is the March 17, 1973 St Paddys day storm that storm also had NE winds in the 55 to 60 MPH range with 22" of snow along with thunder snow but this time the wind blew the water of Saginaw Bay up on the shore and into the Saginaw river and into town so we had both 20+ inches of snow and a flood at the same time. People living along the Bay shore had to be evacuated as water rose up and into their houses.

3. The March 2-3 1976 ice storm. This ice storm is the bench mark of ice storms in my life time. This storm had 5” of snow then 1.5” of ice. The storm had winds NE winds in the 35 MPH range with heavy snow this heavy freezing rain along with thunder and lightning. The ice knocked down many trees and power wires. The ice was 1.5” thick and you could (try) and walk on top of the 15” of snow on the ground. I still can hear in my mind the sound of the trees falling that night.

I am going to put storms 1 and 2 together as they make up the bench mark of winter storms in my live time. I am not sure if we will ever have a repeat of either storm but if we do that storms will become your new bench mark of winter storms.

2. January 26 1978. Almost the same as the 1967 (see storm #1) storm very high winds in the 55 MPH range (we lived less than 6 blocks from Saginaw Bay) much thunder and lightning. I was married and working at this time and I did not have work for 2 days. yet another odd thing about the two storms is that they both started late on a Wednesday into Thursday. These two storms are my bench mark for winter storms

1. January 26, 1967 25" officially but could have been more. Had 20 foot drifts with 50 to 60 MPH NE winds. The front door was drifted shut, But side door of the house and for about 20 feet from the house there was less than 1 inch of snow. Along with the very high winds the storm had much thunder and lightning. I was in High School at that time as we did not have school for over a week and in fact we were snowed in for 4 days and we lived in town.

Grand Rapids

I moved to Grand Rapids in April of 1984. While Grand Rapids averages much more snow per winter season then Bay City the storms that have occurred here are of a different nature then the one in Bay City.  Being near the Saginaw Bay, Bay City’s storms are more of like a Northeaster in nature while that is not the case here in Grand Rapids.

4. The December 23 to 31st  2001  lake effect event when Grand Rapids received snow every day from the 23rd to the 31st The most snow fell right over the Christmas period with 6.7” falling on Christmas 11.9” on the 26th and 9.6” on the 27th the total for the 9 day event was 51.6”

3. on January 22nd Grand Rapids at the airport received 12.8” in a 3hr time period. Here at my house I received 18” on that same night. This came with high winds and a lot of drifting. Visibilities were near zero. I worked 3rd shift at that time in Coopersville and while I started out for work that night I came back home after traveling about 3 miles on I 96. In my 20 years working 3rd shift that was the only time I did not go to work due to a snow storm.

2. February 1-2 2011 this had became known as the GHD storm the two day total at GRR was a reported 17.2” and here at my house I reported 19” while not a lot of wind the snow was heavy enough that we could not get our cars out to the main road and thus my son was not able to go to work for 2 days.

1. I feel that the biggest storm since I moved to Grand Rapids was the January 2-6 1999 storm.  That storm dropped a reported total of 26.8” at GRR and 33.5” here at my house. The storm had heavy snow and high winds and whiteouts. I did go to work during that storm but on one of the mornings I stayed and had breakfast at the Coopersville Burger King before heading home after it became light out due to the whiteout conditions that morning

• Like 1

I finally put my list together for the other board. This started as a "Top 5" snowstorms list, but...

Guess I've experienced more than a handful of memorable storms. The more I thought, the more came back to me.

#8) Bliz of Jan 13-15 '79  Another winter, another blizzard. So went the years of my youth. This one delivered 15" where I grew up in SEMI and was a wetter heavier snow than the icy cold bliz a year before. I remember many snow days off from school during the active winter of 78-79. A friend and I even used snowshoes on the deep drifts.

#7) Bliz of Dec 2000  In S. Bend we got a legit bliz warning and scored 13" of snow. I knew a storm was possible so I arose early (before the 6 am news) and switched on my trusty NOAA Wx radio to catch the updated morning forecast from IWX. I was geeked when I heard WSWarning for the daytime followed by a Blizzard Warning beginning in the evening. It was a great storm that was everything it was forecasted to be. Played out exactly as forecasted.

#6) Super Bowl Super snowstorm of Feb 1-2 '15   2nd winter in a row that delivered an 18" snow here in Marshall. Just a non-stop long duration snow fall that brought us another deep snow cover in SMI. While the winds were sub-bliz conditions, we did get some legit bliz conditions a couple weeks later on Valentine's Day.

#5) PV Bliz of Jan 4-6  '14   My first CAT-4 storm in 15 yrs brought a solid 18" on top of existing snow cover of 3-4" for a 20+ depth. The deepest I'd seen since moving to Marshall in '02. Cleaning my driveway in -41F windchill on the evening of the 6th will always be tattooed on my psyche!

#4) Bliz of Nov 16-17  '89  Deer camp bliz that buried NMI with 12-24" after it transitioned from rain to snow. The winds were ferocious as the SLP bombed to 964 mb near James Bay Ontario. My trusty NOAA wx radio kept us abreast of happenings as we were in a small rental cabin without so much as a b&w television. The broadcast was out of KAPN and I remember vividly that the Presque Isle Light on Lake Huron was reporting Gusts to 91 knots! The winds raging thru the forest was insanely loud. I'm pretty certain those were the strongest winds for The Mitt since the great one in Jan '78.

#3) Bliz of Jan 1-3 '99   My place in S. Bend was slammed with 20" and drifts up to 40" and I was on the edge of the actual city limits. There was upwards of 27" just north in MI where I worked due to the follow-on LES. Blizz of '99 was the last classic bliz for me personally with large flakes, low vis, consistently high winds causing widespread road closures and disruption for 1-2 weeks in rural areas.

#2) April 2-3  '75  Not sure if there was TSSN as posted above where I lived, but the flakes were massive fatties and the storm dumped 18" of concrete in about 17 hrs. Everything was at a stand still. Later the next day the sun came out and it was 52F but the piles of pure white snow lasted well past green-up which was unique. Playing on snow piles and going to little league practice a couple weeks later was memorable. My sister and her husband borrowed his parent's snowmobiles and rescued stranded motorists on the state highway all night. They rode them over later the next day to tell us all about their adventures.

#1) Bliz of Jan 26-28 '78  I was a 13 yr old eighth grader and don't remember even being aware of a "storm watch" being in effect. My father wasn't one to let the weather interfere with his work, but that day he stayed home which made the occasion immediately memorable. We lived on the edge of a town and our 'hood was surrounded by farm fields. I remember there were massive drifts over the hedge rows and we would climb up about 8-10 feet and then the snow would give way and we would end up down inside an igloo of sorts. There was one apple tree that must've been a good 12 foot tall and it supported a drift that my buddy could ride his snowmobile over the top of it. There was literally a trail over the tree where previously nobody could go due to the farmer's fencing along his field. These kind of wx events are unforgettable as we are lucky if they happen once in our lifetimes.

I have now added my list. Several snow events are on both of our list. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

#5 must have been a doozy. That storm I remember really inundated SEMI. You probably got LES on top of it also. The rest sound amazing too.

• Like 1

April 2024:

If it's one single storm ( read on ) - then it would be the Halloween Blizzard of Oct 31st - Nov 2nd of 1991 in the Twin Cities. I was a senior in HS and will never forget it. 28.4" total snowfall. Was riding snowmobile with buddies on 694 and down 35W past the Metrodome. It was crazy.  HOWEVER-  the most memorable - even as 9 year old kid was a week in JAN of 1982 when the MPLS received #3 and #4 of it's greatest snow events  WITHIN ONE DAY of each other!!! 38" snow depth. I remember jumping off a 15-18' roof into 4-8' piles of snow from snow blowers. It was winter wonderland many have never experienced. Remember like it was yesterday. Parents could have cared less as there was NO chance of getting hurt. IT was awesome!!

-

TOP SIX SNOWSTORMS       *                                      **    FOR THE TWIN CITIES      *                                      **    -------------------      *                                      **                     INCHES  *                                      **  1. OCT 31-NOV 3 1991 28.4  *                                      **  2. NOV 29-DEC 1 1985 21.1  *                                      **  3. JAN 22-23 1982 .. 20.0...NOTE CORRECTION NEEDED TO //NCDC-LCD//**  4. JAN 20-21 1982 .. 17.4  *                                      **  5. DEC 10-11 2010 .. 17.1  *                                      **  6. NOV 11-12 1940 .. 16.8 

The early 80's as kid in the Twin Cities. No wonder I love snowstorms.!!! 

https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/natural_resources/climate/twin_cities/snowvar.html

• Like 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

If it's one single storm ( read on ) - then it would be the Halloween Blizzard of Oct 31st - Nov 2nd of 1991 in the Twin Cities. I was a senior in HS and will never forget it. 28.4" total snowfall. Was riding snowmobile with buddies on 694 and down 35W past the Metrodome. It was crazy.  HOWEVER-  the most memorable - even as 9 year old kid was a week in JAN of 1982 when the MPLS received #3 and #4 of it's greatest snow events  WITHIN ONE DAY of each other!!! 38" snow depth. I remember jumping off a 15-18' roof into 4-8' piles of snow from snow blowers. It was winter wonderland many have never experienced. Remember like it was yesterday. Parents could have cared less as there was NO chance of getting hurt. IT was awesome!!

-

TOP SIX SNOWSTORMS       *                                      **    FOR THE TWIN CITIES      *                                      **    -------------------      *                                      **                     INCHES  *                                      **  1. OCT 31-NOV 3 1991 28.4  *                                      **  2. NOV 29-DEC 1 1985 21.1  *                                      **  3. JAN 22-23 1982 .. 20.0...NOTE CORRECTION NEEDED TO //NCDC-LCD//**  4. JAN 20-21 1982 .. 17.4  *                                      **  5. DEC 10-11 2010 .. 17.1  *                                      **  6. NOV 11-12 1940 .. 16.8 

The early 80's as kid in the Twin Cities. No wonder I love snowstorms.!!! 

https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/natural_resources/climate/twin_cities/snowvar.html

Thanks Grizz! Finally somebody who remembers those incredible back-to-back storms of Jan '82. I wish I had the synoptic set-up because it just has to be an extremely rare one for a non-coastal locale like MN. Not to mention that the 2nd storm in a series is normally the smaller total, but was opposite in this case as #3 on your list was the later of the twins. My sis and her fam had just relocated from Detroit burbs to Minny burbs around '85 so they caught the '91 superstorm. What a shock for SEMI peeps where you have to go back to 1886 to find anything comparable to that in SEMI whereas SWMI has managed to pull off the 30" storm more than once in my lifetime. Right at the end of Jan '82 I went with some of my HS buddies skiing in NMI and there had to be 60" snow depth in places. Was likely the deepest snow OTG I've ever seen, but I was also up north in late Jan '79 and it may have been a tie, lol

• Like 1

Jaster220, if I have my dates right your #8 is my #1. I was in Manhattan KS for this storm and I still think it was the best/worst snowstorm I ever experienced. The best part of the storm was I think the night of Jan 12 for us. There was a bright street light about 30-50ft from my apartment that I literally could not see at times it snowed so hard along with strong winds. I think we ended up with around a foot in my area and many of the city streets were impassible the next few days. The NWS only issued an old snow advisory or traveler's advisory and stuck with it even though we had a raging blizzard outside. I'll never forget that one.

#2 for me happened about two weeks earlier with the New Year's Eve storm of Dec 31 1978. I was in Kansas City for that one. It was basically the same storm as above without the wind. Ended up with 14" in my part of KC. I remember the already large snowflakes getting even larger at times.

A few other good ones over the years but those two being pretty intense and only about two weeks apart are the most memorable for me.

• Like 1

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

March 14th 2017

Models showed potential for some decent lake effect snow, but most meteorologists and the NWS downplayed the threat. I remember looking at the radar and deciding the drive to UWM (40 minutes away) would be too dangerous. 30 minutes later we were under a lake effect snow warning and UWM was closing. This doesn't even compare to what some locations get in LE, but on this side of the lake, seeing 8+" in LE is rare. I ended up with 13.8" imby

• Like 1

I would have to say December 2009 blizzard in central/eastern Nebraska. I lived in Henderson at the time. Crazy thing about the storm was it was on the GFS from hr 300+ showing the blizzard. 2 blizzards that month

A couple days before, it looked to be coming up the traditional track like this past storm and I thought we'd get a nice Christmas present from Ma Nature, then all of a sudden it was making a hard left and we got Grinched! One of my all-time weather sucker punches, lol. Don't even remember why we were under a WWA at that time? Prolly just some nuisance -ZR. At least we did get a great surprise dumping from bliz #1 that month.

I would have to say December 2009 blizzard in central/eastern Nebraska. I lived in Henderson at the time. Crazy thing about the storm was it was on the GFS from hr 300+ showing the blizzard. 2 blizzards that month

Worst (or best) snow event since I have been in IA since 1998. 16" and winds 40-50mph with higher gusts. I remember Iowa had 20mb+ isobar gradient across it for that event. My house was plastered in snow -- like frosting on cake and this is an sheltered area -- not in the country. Before winter events , many people rush to the store for bread,milk etc thinking they are going to be inside a long time. After the event - grocery stores were actually running out of common staple items on the W side of DSM because re-supply trucks couldn't get into DSM for deliver due to major interstates being closed  or just over all delays due to the impacts of the Blizzard. One that I will never forget.

• Like 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I don’t know if this has been posted already but this map shows the daily snow depth across the United States everyday dating back to 1950. Very cool to watch.

https://youtu.be/YwehzWN4c_g

Not sure about watching all 3 hrs of snow depths coming and going, but being able to see certain dates is WAY cool. I always figured Marshall's max depth ever (recorded history I mean) to be 27" after the big one, and sure enough, thanks to this link I've been able to very nicely verify that estimate! Thank you Iowawx for sharing!

19780128 SN Depth Max.jpg

• Like 2

I don't remember this storm at all. So odd. Anywho I can't set dates anymore but there was a noreaster when I lived in DC in 99 or 2000, 14 inches that was a fun few days. February 2003 in Nebraska they calling for 2-4 inches we ended up with 13. There are others but a winter event I remember was my first ice storm in 2015. It was Thanksgiving and we were Hutchinson KS and they forecasted freezing drizzle for over night just before Thanksgiving. Ended up ending 2 days later. Craziest sound ever was hearing all the trees breaking under the pressure of the ice. It was late at night so eire calm then snapping.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I don't remember this storm at all. So odd. Anywho I can't set dates anymore but there was a noreaster when I lived in DC in 99 or 2000, 14 inches that was a fun few days. February 2003 in Nebraska they calling for 2-4 inches we ended up with 13. There are others but a winter event I remember was my first ice storm in 2015. It was Thanksgiving and we were Hutchinson KS and they forecasted freezing drizzle for over night just before Thanksgiving. Ended up ending 2 days later. Craziest sound ever was hearing all the trees breaking under the pressure of the ice. It was late at night so eire calm then snapping.

I myself, have never experienced a Winter there, but I bet they are mild ones as average highs in the hard of Winter are in the 40s. DC, and even up to NYC, are mild climates, as temps are above freezing for average high temps. It gets better once your are in Ct where the climate gets colder and especially points north.

April 2024:

Not sure about watching all 3 hrs of snow depths coming and going, but being able to see certain dates is WAY cool. I always figured Marshall's max depth ever (recorded history I mean) to be 27" after the big one, and sure enough, thanks to this link I've been able to very nicely verify that estimate! Thank you Iowawx for sharing!

attachicon.gif19780128 SN Depth Max.jpg

What a change....that is why always expect surprises when it comes to Ma Nature.

April 2024:

I myself, have never experienced a Winter there, but I bet they are mild ones as average highs in the hard of Winter are in the 40s. DC, and even up to NYC, are mild climates, as temps are above freezing for average high temps. It gets better once your are in Ct where the climate gets colder and especially points north.

The crazy part is before we moved there they had the winter of 96 they had like 4 major snow storms. It crippled the city. The year after we moved in 03 they had another two or three can't remember. Then when my dad moved back in 08 they had 3 back to back over 45 inches.

• Like 1

The crazy part is before we moved there they had the winter of 96 they had like 4 major snow storms. It crippled the city. The year after we moved in 03 they had another two or three can't remember. Then when my dad moved back in 08 they had 3 back to back over 45 inches.

That Winter was nuts. I remember getting blasted w snowstorm after snowstorm every 2 to 3 days in NYC. Was a great Winter season. A Winter to remember.

• Like 3

April 2024:

• 3 weeks later...

Agree with grizzcoat, 1991 Minnesota Halloween Blizzard is the obvious number 1. 

I was only 8 at the time and grew up near St. Cloud so the Twin Cities and Duluth got higher snow totals, but I can remember by dad pulling my 5 year old sister in a sled, house to house trick or treating. 

By 10 pm there was enough snow that my Dad asked me if I wanted to go for a snowmobile ride.  We went right down the middle of the road without an issue.  My cousin who was going to college at the time in Duluth talks about how they used their hockey sticks to dig out the car to get to the liquor store and back....multiple times throughout the storm.

Recent memorable storm would be March 31-April 1 2014.  It snowed 18" on top of a over a foot that was still on the ground.  I have never seen it snow so hard for such a period of time that night.  It was the cherry on to top off a crazy, snowy, very cold winter.  Prior to that stortm the largest snow event locally that winter was 4".

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I think I can now add a storm to this thread. I think that the storm from this past Sunday that produced 8.7 inches of snow here is now one of my favorite storms. Long duration snow event, and the rate was up to 1.5 inches per hour at times here. This was also the biggest single snow event to occur here in Cedar Rapids since I measured 12.1" on February 1, 2015. I consider a decent snowfall here to be anything 6 inches or higher. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've only been here three winters so I don't have much to choose from, but yeah last week's blizzard is the best for me.

Would also add that storm to my list. And possibly Jan 11-12. Other than that, everything else kind of runs together lol. 

• Like 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

• 2 weeks later...

Would also add that storm to my list. And possibly Jan 11-12. Other than that, everything else kind of runs together lol. 

I've been here in MI 8 yrs now and I cant really say I have experienced a big dog yet. Wait, I think one was back in 2014, Jan, where I received a whopping 16" and that was it. The rest were peanuts...3-6, 2-4, 4-8 and etc. :rolleyes: I think SEMI is a stubborn area to be in Winter for anything huge, maybe because of the jet stream.

• Like 1

April 2024:

• 1 month later...

I've been here in MI 8 yrs now and I cant really say I have experienced a big dog yet. Wait, I think one was back in 2014, Jan, where I received a whopping 16" and that was it. The rest were peanuts...3-6, 2-4, 4-8 and etc. :rolleyes: I think SEMI is a stubborn area to be in Winter for anything huge, maybe because of the jet stream.

East Coast spoiled you for massive amounts. Motown peeps waited 41 years to see that much from one storm - you were a lucky duck amigo! (whether it feels that way or not, lol) 

• Like 1

East Coast spoiled you for massive amounts. Motown peeps waited 41 years to see that much from one storm - you were a lucky duck amigo! (whether it feels that way or not, lol) 

100% dude! No question about it.

• Like 1

April 2024:

• 7 months later...

I've always been fascinated by blizzards. As an adult wx hobbiest I learned via the www about historical blizzards in other areas besides those I lived in personally. The epic string of blizzards that hit the western states during 1949 has peaked my curiosity since I first found out about it. Now I've come across this most excellently produced historical documentary film. If you can spare an hour of your life as we await more storm action, this is really worth a watch!

Storm of the Century - the Blizzard of '49

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl6Iz4dXGdg

• Like 2

I've always been fascinated by blizzards. As an adult wx hobbiest I learned via the www about historical blizzards in other areas besides those I lived in personally. The epic string of blizzards that hit the western states during 1949 has peaked my curiosity since I first found out about it. Now I've come across this most excellently produced historical documentary film. If you can spare an hour of your life as we await more storm action, this is really worth a watch!

Storm of the Century - the Blizzard of '49

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl6Iz4dXGdg

WOW

• Like 1

April 2024:

I love blizzards too. Hoping to get a legit one at some point this winter. A lot of trees have been cut down in my area in the last 1-2 years (more were just cut down a week or two ago) due to disease or other reasons. Haven't really had a good chance to test out the blowing/drifting potential in a big storm because there haven't been any big snowstorms during that time but it is noticeably windier than it used to be given the trees that no longer exist.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I love blizzards too. Hoping to get a legit one at some point this winter. A lot of trees have been cut down in my area in the last 1-2 years (more were just cut down a week or two ago) due to disease or other reasons. Haven't really had a good chance to test out the blowing/drifting potential in a big storm because there haven't been any big snowstorms during that time but it is noticeably windier than it used to be given the trees that no longer exist.