Jump to content
The Weather Forums

Your All-time favorite winter storms list


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Maxim_Ru said:

About snowfall 3-4 February 2018 I showed in centimeters. For other moments I wrote in millimeters.

 

 

30 cm is a nice storm. 30 mm is very small. That's why I asked.

Winter 2021-22 Snow Total = 7.7"  Largest Storm: 4.2" (11/27)        Oct: 0.0 Nov: 7.7 Dec: 0.0 Jan: 0.0 Feb: 0.0 Mar: 0.0 Apr: 0.0

 

Annual avg for mby = XX.X" 

2020-21 = 36.2"  2019-20 = 48.0"  2018-19 = 56.1"  2017-18 = 68.3"   2016-17 = 52"   2015-16 = 57.4"   2014-15 = 55.3"   2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"   2011-12 = 43.7"

 

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, jaster220 said:

30 cm is a nice storm. 30 mm is very small. That's why I asked.

I've understood you.    

There are the data for those days(last two columns - precipitation and snow depth):

27612 Moscow 02.02.2018 -5.2     -9.1 -1.5 88 83 -13 -5 -5 1.9 2 4000 m 1012.9 1009.1 1016.9 992.7 989.3 996.4 10.0 8.3 0.4 0.9 1.3 36                                
27612 Moscow 03.02.2018 +0.3     -1.5 +0.9 95 91 -3 -1 -1 0.4 1 1000 m 1008.1 1005.7 1009.2 988.4 986.1 989.5 10.0 10.0 0.5 14 14.5 32                                
27612 Moscow 04.02.2018 -6.4     -11.6 +0.1 92 86 -16 -1 -1 1.4 3 1000 m 1003.2 999.5 1007.3 983.1 979.3 987.5 10.0 10.0 9 16 25.0 43                                
27612 Moscow 05.02.2018 -12.1     -13.1 -10.9 82 75 -19 -12 -12 2.0 10 4000 m 1007.7 1001.7 1013.5 987.1 981.3 992.8 10.0 5.8 6 2 8.0 55

 

Two cyclones increased snow depth from 36cm to 55cm. But because of the strong wind growth snow was less than total precipitation. 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

The storm I remember happened after Mt St Helens blew. It was Jan 1981.  From what my Dad told me a low pressure system set up and stalled in rhe columbia river gorge. It was close enough to bring in moisture from the pacific ocean and wrap around snd dump almost 2 feet of snow in our town. A friend of mine lived 1000 feet elevation and his family was litteraly snowed in after receiving 6 ft of snow.  I have a picture that I will attach to this story when I find it. 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

For the Detroit Metro Area: I'd go for #3. That was a doozy. Kinda reminded me of a "Nor'Easter type storm. Also, #22 and #25. These last 2 numbers, were back to back snowstorms on the famous Winter of 2013-14. I had otg during that time (w these 2 storms combined) 21.7." Obviously, a lot more snow followed that Winter. At some point, here in SEMI, there was nearly 3ft of snow otg. Dang....who knows when we will see a Winter like that again.

https://www.weather.gov/dtx/dtwsnowstorm

  • Like 3

Snowfall as of today Nov, 2021 is: 6.2"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

A day when walking to your neighbor's could be a deadly proposition.

If you like the format of TWC's "I survived a tornado" series, this documentary was done in a similar fashion. Looks to have been made for the 20th or even 25th anniversary but I just recently found it on youtube. Ohio really was the epicenter of the most dramatic and fierce change in conditions, even if their snow totals were less than Indiana and Michigan. It's also much more open down there a lot like the Plains so there was little to impede the record winds.

This is the kind of dynamic storm I'd like to witness again some day. Watch this when you have time in full screen mode. To see KTOL with these conditions is simply remarkable.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Winter 2021-22 Snow Total = 7.7"  Largest Storm: 4.2" (11/27)        Oct: 0.0 Nov: 7.7 Dec: 0.0 Jan: 0.0 Feb: 0.0 Mar: 0.0 Apr: 0.0

 

Annual avg for mby = XX.X" 

2020-21 = 36.2"  2019-20 = 48.0"  2018-19 = 56.1"  2017-18 = 68.3"   2016-17 = 52"   2015-16 = 57.4"   2014-15 = 55.3"   2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"   2011-12 = 43.7"

 

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

My favorite  snowstorm of all time will probably  always be the "megaopolis" storm of Feb 11, 1983 in North  Central Maryland.  I lived on my grandparents  dairy  farm.  The forecast at 6 pm on Feb 10 was for  4 to 7 inches. Snow began about 5 am the next day. Was moderate much of morning.  Heavy by noon,  becoming the most  intense  snow of my life to date.  From 1 pm to sunset visibility  was nill!  I still remember  repeated rounds of thundersnow.  Rates of 4 to 5 inches per hour much of that afternoon.  It ended about 7 pm..  a shocking  36" on our farm of about 1100 feet elevation. All in less than 17 hours!  1000s of cars were stranded on interstates.  That complete area totally  paralyzed.  Schools were closed for 5 to 7 days. The 1993 "superstorm" was also quite intense although  only 22" of snow due to hours of sleet, the low pressure and intense  wind and 10 foot drifts were crazy!  I also happen to be in Maryland  for the January 24, 2016 storm. In that Baltimore  set its all time record of 32" and on My grandparents  farm a hour west they  easily  had over 40".

In the midewest the groundhog  day 2011  takes the cake. 17" and  8 foot drifts.

Screenshot_20210220-173145_Gallery.jpg

20210220_165911.jpg

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, OttumwaSnomow said:

My favorite  snowstorm of all time will probably  always be the "megaopolis" storm of Feb 11, 1983 in North  Central Maryland.  I lived on my grandparents  dairy  farm.  The forecast at 6 pm on Feb 10 was for  4 to 7 inches. Snow began about 5 am the next day. Was moderate much of morning.  Heavy by noon,  becoming the most  intense  snow of my life to date.  From 1 pm to sunset visibility  was nill!  I still remember  repeated rounds of thundersnow.  Rates of 4 to 5 inches per hour much of that afternoon.  It ended about 7 pm..  a shocking  36" on our farm of about 1100 feet elevation. All in less than 17 hours!  1000s of cars were stranded on interstates.  That complete area totally  paralyzed.  Schools were closed for 5 to 7 days. The 1993 "superstorm" was also quite intense although  only 22" of snow due to hours of sleet, the low pressure and intense  wind and 10 foot drifts were crazy!  I also happen to be in Maryland  for the January 24, 2016 storm. In that Baltimore  set its all time record of 32" and on My grandparents  farm a hour west they  easily  had over 40".

In the midewest the groundhog  day 2011  takes the cake. 17" and  8 foot drifts.

Screenshot_20210220-173145_Gallery.jpg

20210220_165911.jpg

That first storm you mentioned would be insane and plain amazing! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After a couple more years in Neb, my list looks a bit different.

1. Jan 25 2021: No explanation needed. Accumulating snow from before sunrise to past sunset. 12-16" in the Lincoln area.

2. Feb 23 2019: Blizzard conditions w/ snow already on the ground, 8" of new snow. 

3. Feb 6 and 7 Clippers, 2021: 2 back to back clippers producing a total of 8-10", super rare here plus saved a dying snowpack. Not to mention the low singles and sub zero temps during these snows.

4. Mid Feb 2019: Not super notable, but a train of snow events which buried the area and prepared us for the blizzard. 

5. Mar 7 2019: Kind of a random one to throw in here since there was only 4-5", but it's one of those that I remember fondly. Don't beleive much was expected, but it was kind of a last hurrah of the winter with 4" in just a few hours.

 

Honorable mentions:

Oct 14 2018: Surpise 4" of snow early in the season, loved it

Apr 16 2020: 4.5" of spring snow following a GARBAGE season, was a nice way to end things for the year. 

Jan 2019: 2 different snow storms of 4-6" this month, I believe both overperformed as we were on the northern edge. 

  • Like 2

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"  

2018-19: 55.5"   

2019-20: 17.6"   

2020-21: 49.4" 

Average: 25.9"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

A blast From the Past

Over the years there have been some big snowstorms on or near St Patrick’s day. In 2014 parts of the mid-Atlantic got walloped. Washington, D.C., received 7.2 inches of snow and for Washington that was some storm.  As the 10th-largest March storm in Washington, D.C., it knocked the historic blizzard of 1993 off the list of 10 most prolific March snowfalls. Snow amounts from West Virginia to Maryland ranged from a few inches to more than a foot, with the heaviest amounts spanning West Virginia and northwestern Virginia.
Another big St Patrick’s day snowstorm was in1965 when portions of the Chicago area received over a foot of snow and with winds of up to 52 MPH knocked power out to thousands. Grand Rapids also got into the act with a reported 5.7” on the 17th and another 5.7” on the 18th and 2” more on the 19th for a 3-day total of 13.4” March 1965 was and still is the snowiest March in recorded history at Grand Rapids with 36” of snow fall. That year by March 24th there was a total of 15” of snow on the ground at Grand Rapids and it took until April 9th before all the snow melted.
Every now and then there is a storm that stays burned into your mind and you can remember the day and events for the rest of your life. For many here in the NW area of Grand Rapids it might be the May 1998 derecho (its one of mine) some of my other lifetime weather events are September 1st 1960 derecho in Bay City. The blizzards of 1967 and 1978 the 1976 ice storm and.
THE BLIZZARD AND FLOOD OF 1973. The March 17th storm started in the pre-dawn hours of March of 17th That March saw March have some very nice and mild late winter early spring weather with days in the 50’s and 60’s So when the storm started there was no snow on the ground and the water in Saginaw Bay was ice free.
My wife who I was dating at the time lived on Killarney Beach Road and I lived in the city of Bay City at that time. We went out of the night of the 16th and I took her home around 1 AM and it was not snowing at that time but it was windy with a strong NE wind. I went home and went to bed. It was just getting light out when I was awoken by the sound of thunder and lightning (a lot of thunder and lightning) and the sound of the wind. I look out the window and all you could see was snow. During that thunder snow, thunderstorm visibilities were less than two hundred feet at best. Around 9 am my current wife called me and said that they were evacuating people down the road closer to the bay. (Killarney Beach Road runs right along the bay and there are beach front houses out there) and that there was water coming in from the bay and the waves where crashing into the houses there. My wife lived in from the Bay about a half mile and closer to the Bay City State Park. And was told by the sheriff department that their house should be ok. She asked me if I thought I could make it over to her house at the time I did not know. I turned on the TV and the radio. And to my surprise the water was not only hitting the houses by the bay but the water was being pushed up the Saginaw river and there was flooding going on right in the city of Bay City. The water did not get to where I lived but the snow sure did. In fact Bay City had over 22” of snow and drifts up to 4 feet. Here is a short story on the events and the front page of the Bay City Times.

http://www.mybaycity.com/scripts/p3_v2/P3V3-0200.cfm?P3_ArticleID=8917
The water did not get to where my wife was living at that time and while I was not able to get to her house that day the next day (Sunday) I was able to get close enough to walk to her house. There was snow and water everywhere! It was the only time in my lifetime when I seen a blizzard and flood at the same time. That storm was a big east side of the state storm with Saginaw getting 21.3” Jackson getting 19” Flint getting 13.7” Here in Grand Rapids that storm in 1973 only dropped 8.5” so while a big late season storm not the event places on the east side of the state got.
Here is a more on the storm in Jackson
http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index.ssf/2015/03/peek_through_time_who_remember.html

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/12/2021 at 12:51 AM, jaster220 said:

A day when walking to your neighbor's could be a deadly proposition.

If you like the format of TWC's "I survived a tornado" series, this documentary was done in a similar fashion. Looks to have been made for the 20th or even 25th anniversary but I just recently found it on youtube. Ohio really was the epicenter of the most dramatic and fierce change in conditions, even if their snow totals were less than Indiana and Michigan. It's also much more open down there a lot like the Plains so there was little to impede the record winds.

This is the kind of dynamic storm I'd like to witness again some day. Watch this when you have time in full screen mode. To see KTOL with these conditions is simply remarkable.

 

 

 

 

Yup. Lived through it in Aurora, I’ll. Just outside Chicago. 
once was enough for this Texan. Hauled arse as quickly as possible.  

Recent Sub freezing experience of 32 hrs in a 38* house alone while my husband kept emergency services fueled and operational was no piece of cake. No power at all. Heated water on grill outside.  I’ll take 108* summers, thanks. 

  • Like 1
  • scream 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

 

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...
46 minutes ago, someweatherdude said:

2011 Groundhog's day in Chicago. 21.2 inches.   I moved away from Chicago a couple of months later.  It was a great send off.  Couple of pics from our house and one from Lakeshore Drive.

 

 

 

 

172203_1612725236455_6866918_o.jpg

170791_1612726076476_3570738_o.jpg

167676_1613074485186_2201444_n.jpg

Oh man, you just brought back some good memories!  This also has to be the best storm of my lifetime.  The winds, drifts, snow rates, synoptic snow plus heavy backside Lake Effect snow to top it off.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

@OKwx2k4

Hey buddy, you mentioned some time ago that you/your fam remembered the big storm of '78 down in your neck of the woods as one of the historic events.

I was curious so I looked at that myself and was surprised to see that the January '77 OHV Big Dog seems to have been further SW with impacts than next Jan's in '78.

Is it possible you were actually remembering the '77 storm which seems to have dropped much more snow in NWAR and even in OK vs '78. Here's the 2 maps for comparison. Keeping in mind they are DEPTH, so more snow likely was measured along the southern fringes where it's borderline on temps.

1978:

1683262585_SNDepth1-19-78.PNG.01102412ffee74b0056bfc57295910c9.PNG

1977:

544806815_SNDepth1-10-77.PNG.f36717ec862b50d93250945e8e604273.PNG

Oh for a return to the glory days for OHV-Lwr Lakes winters of yore..

  • Like 4

Winter 2021-22 Snow Total = 7.7"  Largest Storm: 4.2" (11/27)        Oct: 0.0 Nov: 7.7 Dec: 0.0 Jan: 0.0 Feb: 0.0 Mar: 0.0 Apr: 0.0

 

Annual avg for mby = XX.X" 

2020-21 = 36.2"  2019-20 = 48.0"  2018-19 = 56.1"  2017-18 = 68.3"   2016-17 = 52"   2015-16 = 57.4"   2014-15 = 55.3"   2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"   2011-12 = 43.7"

 

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/7/2021 at 9:20 AM, someweatherdude said:

2011 Groundhog's day in Chicago. 21.2 inches.   I moved away from Chicago a couple of months later.  It was a great send off.  Couple of pics from our house and one from Lakeshore Drive.

 

 

 

 

172203_1612725236455_6866918_o.jpg

170791_1612726076476_3570738_o.jpg

167676_1613074485186_2201444_n.jpg

Guess who didn't see his shadow. 

  • lol 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Blizzard of "96" will always remain one of the best blizzards I have ever experienced in NYC. There were wind gusts of 50 mph and snow drifts up to 8 feet high. Just incredible. At that time, I lived in Queens, 15min away from the city and it was impossible to drive anywhere. Roads were impassable for days. No transportation as well. Everything was at a standstill for days and days. Visibility during this raging blizzard was zero for so many hours. I have never seen anything like it b4 in my lifetime. First pic is in Queens (Northern part).

https://www.trbimg.com/img-5c367a65/turbine/mc-pictures-blizzard-anniversary-about-the-valley-20160107

https://www.firstforwomen.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2016/01/nyc-sidewalk-snow-tunnel.jpg?resize=1024,648

Second pic was taken in downtown NYC, in the Village, near St. Marks St.

  • Like 5
  • scream 1

Snowfall as of today Nov, 2021 is: 6.2"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Niko said:

Blizzard of "96" will always remain one of the best blizzards I have ever experienced in NYC. There were wind gusts of 50 mph and snow drifts up to 8 feet high. Just incredible. At that time, I lived in Queens, 15min away from the city and it was impossible to drive anywhere. Roads were impassable for days. No transportation as well. Everything was at a standstill for days and days. Visibility during this raging blizzard was zero for so many hours. I have never seen anything like it b4 in my lifetime. First pic is in Queens (Northern part).

https://www.trbimg.com/img-5c367a65/turbine/mc-pictures-blizzard-anniversary-about-the-valley-20160107

https://www.firstforwomen.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2016/01/nyc-sidewalk-snow-tunnel.jpg?resize=1024,648

Second pic was taken in downtown NYC, in the Village, near St. Marks St.

That’s an epic Blitz and reminds me of the stories my parents told me of storms in the late 70’s.  Hopefully we enter a decade of more storms like these…this could be the year!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Tom said:

That’s an epic Blitz and reminds me of the stories my parents told me of storms in the late 70’s.  Hopefully we enter a decade of more storms like these…this could be the year!

Tbh, I have a very good feeling about this year. That GB will be our friend this upcoming Winter!

  • Like 2

Snowfall as of today Nov, 2021 is: 6.2"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Tom said:

That’s an epic Blitz and reminds me of the stories my parents told me of storms in the late 70’s.  Hopefully we enter a decade of more storms like these…this could be the year!

25 minutes ago, Niko said:

Tbh, I have a very good feeling about this year. That GB will be our friend this upcoming Winter!

Since this was way before the web (in NMI anyways), I didn't have much firsthand knowledge of how bad this hit NY/East Coast. Personally, I was in the midst of what would end up being the longest and snowiest winter of my lifetime (think SEMI 2013-14 but add 2.5 months duration and DOUBLE the snow total). I do remember contacting a firm down in Cincinatti for business, and the guy answered and told me "we just had a massive snowstorm and there's really nobody able to get into the factory but me". That was well west in SOH and ofc the beast-mode storms just get more beastly when they grab Atlantic moisture along the coast. That 1st image is basically West Michigan in '77, 78, & 79. #awesomeness

  • Like 3

Winter 2021-22 Snow Total = 7.7"  Largest Storm: 4.2" (11/27)        Oct: 0.0 Nov: 7.7 Dec: 0.0 Jan: 0.0 Feb: 0.0 Mar: 0.0 Apr: 0.0

 

Annual avg for mby = XX.X" 

2020-21 = 36.2"  2019-20 = 48.0"  2018-19 = 56.1"  2017-18 = 68.3"   2016-17 = 52"   2015-16 = 57.4"   2014-15 = 55.3"   2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"   2011-12 = 43.7"

 

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jaster220 said:

Since this was way before the web (in NMI anyways), I didn't have much firsthand knowledge of how bad this hit NY/East Coast. Personally, I was in the midst of what would end up being the longest and snowiest winter of my lifetime (think SEMI 2013-14 but add 2.5 months duration and DOUBLE the snow total). I do remember contacting a firm down in Cincinatti for business, and the guy answered and told me "we just had a massive snowstorm and there's really nobody able to get into the factory but me". That was well west in SOH and ofc the beast-mode storms just get more beastly when they grab Atlantic moisture along the coast. That 1st image is basically West Michigan in '77, 78, & 79. #awesomeness

I hope we can see another one of these in our lifetime again amigo.

  • Like 2

Snowfall as of today Nov, 2021 is: 6.2"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/7/2021 at 8:39 AM, jaster220 said:

@OKwx2k4

Hey buddy, you mentioned some time ago that you/your fam remembered the big storm of '78 down in your neck of the woods as one of the historic events.

I was curious so I looked at that myself and was surprised to see that the January '77 OHV Big Dog seems to have been further SW with impacts than next Jan's in '78.

Is it possible you were actually remembering the '77 storm which seems to have dropped much more snow in NWAR and even in OK vs '78. Here's the 2 maps for comparison. Keeping in mind they are DEPTH, so more snow likely was measured along the southern fringes where it's borderline on temps.

1978:

1683262585_SNDepth1-19-78.PNG.01102412ffee74b0056bfc57295910c9.PNG

1977:

544806815_SNDepth1-10-77.PNG.f36717ec862b50d93250945e8e604273.PNG

Oh for a return to the glory days for OHV-Lwr Lakes winters of yore..

I'm not 100 percent which was which offhand, but one had the greatness for consecutive length of a snowpack so far to the south and the other for sheer depth and power. Some of the shadows of that wouldn't be seen again really until late 1983-84.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/9/2021 at 9:23 AM, Tom said:

That’s an epic Blitz and reminds me of the stories my parents told me of storms in the late 70’s.  Hopefully we enter a decade of more storms like these…this could be the year!

Back when even Kansas and Ohio could be buried in deep snow cover! #snownation

1795277508_1978-02-14SnowDepth.PNG.869dcb0ecc9c20a4c9cc2c82c08ccbc2.PNG

145286464_1979-01-31SnowDepth.PNG.aad87c3841c34290006ce7904d30b633.PNG

  • Like 3

Winter 2021-22 Snow Total = 7.7"  Largest Storm: 4.2" (11/27)        Oct: 0.0 Nov: 7.7 Dec: 0.0 Jan: 0.0 Feb: 0.0 Mar: 0.0 Apr: 0.0

 

Annual avg for mby = XX.X" 

2020-21 = 36.2"  2019-20 = 48.0"  2018-19 = 56.1"  2017-18 = 68.3"   2016-17 = 52"   2015-16 = 57.4"   2014-15 = 55.3"   2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"   2011-12 = 43.7"

 

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Clinton said:

My dad still talks of those years. I was born in 78 and we had snow in mid April.

You know what's insane (to me anyways, lol). The 11 year period of my "youth" in my native area of SEMI was so reliably snowy for a non-LES locale that out of 66 months when snow was possible, only (2) were a complete failure to see a measurable amount. An amazing 96.97% of those months there was measurable snowfall. That'd be like the snow-belts of the UP nowadays (SMH).

691312687_KFNT1972-1982Snowfall.PNG.4d18f1344b65ac678e5f129c5f402ca7.PNG

But there's more, look closely at the "Max" row of snowiest months. What's missing? The (3) winters with the most notoriety (77/78/79) didn't make that list! That's how snowy the 70's were for the Lwr Lakes when I was a kid. And I didn't have a clue (til the disappointing 80's) what a golden stretch of wintry years I got to experience. 

  • Like 2

Winter 2021-22 Snow Total = 7.7"  Largest Storm: 4.2" (11/27)        Oct: 0.0 Nov: 7.7 Dec: 0.0 Jan: 0.0 Feb: 0.0 Mar: 0.0 Apr: 0.0

 

Annual avg for mby = XX.X" 

2020-21 = 36.2"  2019-20 = 48.0"  2018-19 = 56.1"  2017-18 = 68.3"   2016-17 = 52"   2015-16 = 57.4"   2014-15 = 55.3"   2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"   2011-12 = 43.7"

 

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...