December 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Tyler Mode

Yeah, the Pacific storm train has been shut down with it though. The SW has been dry, so the areas reliant on Pacific lows are running behind on snow. Different story for the SE, where it's managed to be extremely wet.

Ah, I get what you’re saying. Yeah the longitude of the exit region of the jet/domain of cyclogenesis has been displaced to some extent. Flat waves with a high degree of destructive interference = an unproductive storm train.

Wow..off the freaking chart!

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/diagram_40days_forecast_GEFSBC_member.gif

• Like 2

Unless we get an event around new years, seems as though we can write off the majority, if not all of January. We are seeing the SSW kick in right as we lose the favorable forcing, just like I mentioned a while back might happen. Hope I'm wrong

Merry Christmas!

• Like 1

Doesn't look too good for an arctic blast, I feel.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Welp, looks like the west coast warm finger will be back.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Hey Canadian folks... do you get the NFL games up there?  

And do sports bars and restaurants usually carry the games?    Trying to figure out plans for Sunday afternoon and want to see Vikings-Bears and Eagles-Redskins at the same time if possible.   Guessing it would be same as here... but then was thinking sports bars might have 20 TVs of curling and hockey.   :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

And do sports bars and restaurants usually carry the games?    Trying to figure out plans for Sunday afternoon and want to see Vikings-Bears and Eagles-Redskins at the same time if possible.   Guessing it would be same as here... but then was thinking sports bars might have 20 TVs of curling and hockey.   :)

Lol, this is Canada not Cambodia.

• Like 1

Lol, this is Canada not Cambodia.

Well.... you would never see a CFL game on here.   I bet less than 5% of the people in Seattle even know the BC Lions exist.   Not sure if people follow the NFL up there.    

So if you go into a sports bar and restaurant on Sunday afternoon... it will be NFL games on every screen like it is here?

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Well.... you would never see a CFL game on here.   I bet less 5% of the people in Seattle even know the BC Lions exist.   Not sure if people follow the NFL up there.    

So if you go into a sports bar and restaurant on Sunday afternoon... it will be NFL games on every screen like it is here?

Canada has their version of ESPN called TSN, and they do broadcast NFL games.   TSN has several channels, so they show different NFL games.

I also found this, Shaw is the Cable provider there, and they show some Seattle stations on their channels, including Fox Q13

https://www.shaw.ca/personal/television/channel-listings/  Input Whistler, BC for the location

• Like 3

And do sports bars and restaurants usually carry the games? Trying to figure out plans for Sunday afternoon and want to see Vikings-Bears and Eagles-Redskins at the same time if possible. Guessing it would be same as here... but then was thinking sports bars might have 20 TVs of curling and hockey. :)

Just worry about the Hawks game, they will not need help to get the 5th seed, odd that you didnt even mention them in your post.

Merry Christmas!!

Just worry about the Hawks game, they will not need help to get the 5th seed, odd that you didnt even mention them in your post.

Merry Christmas!!

I want to see those other games too just for pure entertainment because the Vikes and Eagles have the playoffs on the line.   And I can watch the Hawks game on my phone through the NFL app regardless of TV access in Canada... but not the other games.

I want to see those other games too just for pure entertainment because the Vikes and Eagles have the playoffs on the line. And I can watch the Hawks game on my phone through the NFL app regardless of TV access in Canada... but not other games.

Weird, the other games are out of market and should be viewable. Do you have the NFL Sunday Ticket?

Extended jet, return of the aleutian vortex

For a little while, at least. There’s also an ERW that’s showing up on those RMM plots, in addition to the MJO.