Unpopular Opinions on Weather

Omegaraptor

What are your unpopular opinions on weather?

Mine are:

- A wet cold does not feel worse than a dry cold at all, and in fact feels better than a dry windy cold. I have never noticed the “bone-chilling” effect that people talk about with wet cold, and I’m a skinny guy. Also, dry windy cold dries out my sinuses, eyes, lips, and throat. A “wet cold” in Portland is usually around 50 degrees, at which the term “cold” is inappropriate anyway.

- Snow on the ground gets old after about a month, unless it’s a place like Mt Shasta where places with little snow exist nearby and can easily be driven to. I say this as a skiier. Better to have it all in the mountains than to deal with it in the city.

- Spring is the best season in the PNW. The only problem is the pollen counts. A couple hours of rain every other day is preferable to brown grass and wildfire smoke. Sunshine hours in spring are actually comprable to most of the country outside of California and the Southwest.

• Like 1

I like summertime humidity. Kind of a novelty here, though.

Oh please. I don’t believe you. Not even for a second.

Oh please. I don’t believe you. Not even for a second.

Its a novelty out here.   Novelties are fun.   We know it does not last and often leads to another novelty here... thunderstorms.

So yes... he is being truthful.   He has said it for years.   I agree with him.    Its very likely that Matt does too.    :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

What are your unpopular opinions on weather?

Mine are:

- A wet cold does not feel worse than a dry cold at all, and in fact feels better than a dry windy cold. I have never noticed the “bone-chilling” effect that people talk about with wet cold, and I’m a skinny guy. Also, dry windy cold dries out my sinuses, eyes, lips, and throat. A “wet cold” in Portland is usually around 50 degrees, at which the term “cold” is inappropriate anyway.

- Snow on the ground gets old after about a month, unless it’s a place like Mt Shasta where places with little snow exist nearby and can easily be driven to. I say this as a skiier. Better to have it all in the mountains than to deal with it in the city.

- Spring is the best season in the PNW. The only problem is the pollen counts. A couple hours of rain every other day is preferable to brown grass and wildfire smoke. Sunshine hours in spring are actually comprable to most of the country outside of California and the Southwest.

I like all forms of extreme weather. So from extreme drought to extreme rain to extreme wind to extreme snow, I'll take them all. Only caveat is if it starts getting too crazy with situations like wildfires. Then I'll start rooting for some rain.

• Like 1

I like foggy, misty days, and would enjoy a summer with that type of weather 24/7 over relentless heat and humidity.

I’m sure Tim thinks I’m crazy for that.

• Like 1

I like foggy, misty days, and would enjoy a summer with that type of weather 24/7 over relentless heat and humidity.

I’m sure Tim thinks I’m crazy for that.

Liked because this is an unpopular opinion thread, and I disagree. I don't know if I'd be able to stand the "summer" on the Oregon Coast.

• Like 2

Its a novelty out here.   Novelties are fun.   We know it does not last and often leads to another novelty here... thunderstorms.

So yes... he is being truthful.   He has said it for years.   I agree with him.    Its very likely that Matt does too.    :)

Hey, remember that event back in June? Dewpoints were in the mid-60s iirc and thunder so loud it shook the house. I remember one side of the metro area being 90º and the other side being 65º.

Western Oregon may be a thunderstorm desert, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I loved my trip to DC in the summer. 95 with decently moderate humidity and felt great.

Okay. :lol:

When was your trip?

Hey, remember that event back in June? Dewpoints were in the mid-60s iirc and thunder so loud it shook the house. I remember one side of the metro area being 90º and the other side being 65º.

Western Oregon may be a thunderstorm desert, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Father's Day storm?   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

August 2009. I seem to remember DCA hitting 96 or 97 those days. Probably the hottest days of that otherwise frigid summer there.

For your guys' sake, I should probably go out there more often, since your snowiest winter on record immediately followed.

Ah, yeah that was August 9-11th. I only remember it because it stuck out like a sore thumb in what was otherwise the coolest summer in living memory.

But it was a “dry” heat by our standards. DCA hit 97*F but the dewpoint was only ~ 68*F. That’s actually an impressively dry airmass by August standards.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/dc/washington/KDCA/date/2009-8-10

Add 10 degrees to the dewpoint, and I’m sure you wouldn’t have enjoyed it nearly as much. ;)

Wind. Terrible horrible wind according to 98% of forum members. Windstorms are one of my favorite weather events.

Lots of wind enthusiasts here! I enjoy windstorms too. But probably not as much as folks like Kl2, haha.

This is a vid I took of one of our “northwesters” early last March. The gust @ 0:20 registered at 62mph on my station (ended up hitting 71mph a few hours later). It was an interesting day for sure.

• Like 2

Lots of wind enthusiasts here! I enjoy windstorms too. But probably not as much as folks like Kl2, haha.

This is a vid I took of one of our “northwesters” early last March. The gust @ 0:20 registered at 62mph on my station (ended up hitting 71mph a few hours later). It was an interesting day for sure.

By the way, wonderful video. I love the early morning setting, the firs blown back...

Glad you stayed safe during that one!

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"