March 2023 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Amazed how much of the snow is still around with a sun angle the same as late Sept. Still a solid 4". Even the "warm" spots around trees and bushes etc that grab more radiation are pretty much holding their own. For those that didn't do their driveway/sidewalk etc hoping it would be gone from ma nature have an icy mess.

Gotta love this extra hour of daylight in the evening to enjoy the snow   😝

PXL_20230313_230226672.jpg

• Like 7

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

So far this winter season there has been 105.2” of snow fall at Grand Rapids and that is the most in southern Michigan. At Lansing they are now at 46.2” for the season, at Muskegon they are at 58.9” Most of eastern lower Michigan is in the 36 to 44” range. Up north Alpena is at 59.6”, Gaylord is at 131.5”, Petoskey is at 99.4” Traverse City 96” Sault Ste. Marie 134.7” and Marquette 197.7”

• scream 1

The official H/L yesterday at Grand Rapids was 30/23. There was 0.22” of precipitation that came as 2.8” of snow fall. There was just 9% of possible sunshine. At 7AM there was 2” of snow on the ground. The overnight low here in MBY was 20. At the current time it is 23 with some clouds. For today the average H/L is 44/26 the record high of 80 was set in 2012 at the start of that years March heat wave. The record low of 0 was set in 1895. The record snow fall amount of 10.5” fell in 1904. The next 5 days look to start out cold today but then warm up to the low to mid 40’s for Wednesday thru Thursday. It will become wet on Thursday and then for the weekend?? We shall see.

I read this interesting fact from WGN's Blog this morning...

• Dr. Swain—in a tweet Sunday afternoon—noted: “As of this weekend, the Southern Sierra now appears to have the largest snowpack in recorded history (as measured by snow-water equivalent)”

The question remains...how much more snow can they add till this seasons over??  The infamous "Atmospheric River" shall continue pounding the Sierra's.

The 4 corners region is going to get blasted over the next week.  I'm sure nobody is complaining.

5.png

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

PHX officially cracked the 80F mark on Sunday marking the 1st 80F+ day of the season with a high temp of 82F.  Yesterday, was yet another stunning Spring day here (81F) and today will. be the last day of 80's for a little while until the SW Ridge tries to build up from Mexico late in the month.

• Like 3

Winter's last breath (or one of?), had a tiny bit of snow this morning in Ashland. Barely a measurable amount.

Low of 28, at freezing now. Yesterday was a chilly 38 for a high.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

With 0.10", that makes my seasonal total a whopping 0.60"!! Still thinking of just removing this winter from my signature... save space on there for this summer's convection.

• Like 2

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

5 hours ago, westMJim said:

So far this winter season there has been 105.2” of snow fall at Grand Rapids and that is the most in southern Michigan. At Lansing they are now at 46.2” for the season, at Muskegon they are at 58.9” Most of eastern lower Michigan is in the 36 to 44” range. Up north Alpena is at 59.6”, Gaylord is at 131.5”, Petoskey is at 99.4” Traverse City 96” Sault Ste. Marie 134.7” and Marquette 197.7”

😲 Huge jump in Detroit's snowfall tally from what it was back in February. March did its job I suppose.

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

4 hours ago, Tom said:

I read this interesting fact from WGN's Blog this morning...

The question remains...how much more snow can they add till this seasons over??  The infamous "Atmospheric River" shall continue pounding the Sierra's.

The 4 corners region is going to get blasted over the next week.  I'm sure nobody is complaining.

5.png

The amount of snows the west has received is unbelievable.  I saw videos of people being stranded inside their homes and not being able to get out from feet of snow.  Luckily some rescue workers were able to provide some food and water for some. Just amazing.

• Like 4

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

7 hours ago, westMJim said:

Top 10 or 15? 

Welcome to the Ides of March! Yesterday the official H/L at Grand Rapids was 37/21 there was a trace of snow fall. Grand Rapids is now up to 18.4” of snow fall. This March will be the snowiest March since at least 2002. There was 88% of possible sunshine yesterday and the day started with a reported 2” of snow on the ground. Here in MBY the overnight low so far has been 15 and the current temperature is now at 16 it has been a little warmer at the airport where the low has only been 19 so far. That could be that there is more snow on the ground here in my area then in SE GR. For today the average H/L is now up to 44/27 the record high of 75 was recorded in 1990 and the record low of +5 was in 1897. The most snow of 5.2” fell in 1912. Last year the H/L was 50/32. Today looks like a typical March 15th with a high in the lower 40’s Rain looks to move in tomorrow and then there is a chance of some more snow over the weekend.

PHX barely hit 80F yesterday and it will be the last time we see temps this warm till later in the month.  Rain is knocking on my doorstep as the storm system is gearing up to dump some good rains, possible training storms over the creeks and rivers up north.  Not a good combo along with snow melt.  This will be a warmer storm system so lots of ppl are preparing for flooding down here in the valley and up north.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

PHX barely hit 80F yesterday and it will be the last time we see temps this warm till later in the month.  Rain is knocking on my doorstep as the storm system is gearing up to dump some good rains, possible training storms over the creeks and rivers up north.  Not a good combo along with snow melt.  This will be a warmer storm system so lots of ppl are preparing for flooding down here in the valley and up north.

This is a good map for the drought-stricken southwest.

image.thumb.png.34a98f0f100950999da13cbbed7ed365.png

• Like 5

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

The official H/L at Grand Rapids yesterday was 44/16 there was no rain or snow fall and the sun was out 81% of the possible time. The overnight low here at my house was 30 and at the current time it is mostly clear and 37. For today the average H/L is 44/27 the record high of 79 was set in 2012 and the record low of 3 was set in 1900. The record snow fall of 10.0” fell way back in 1895. Last year the H/L was 65/28. The still looks to be a good amount of rain later today and into the overnight. Friday looks to be windy and colder and there is a chance of some snow on Saturday before it becomes warmer by mid week next week

Where did the only Severe Wx reports occur across our Nation yesterday?  Yup, you guessed it...right here in the state of Arizona!  It was a rather wild afternoon and evening for the valley.  The storms fired up along the border of Cali and AZ around 3-4pm local time and then made its way east into the valley.  Many severe storm alerts popped up and along came the torrential rain and winds that accompanied these storms.  Big time flooding up in Sedona and the mountains as there are road closures happening up there.

image.png

• Storm 3

Mid-month round up. At the midway point of March the mean at Grand Rapids is 33.5 that is a departure of +0.7 there has been 1.33” of precipitation so far this month and 18.4” of snow fall that is will above the average of 5.3” The highest so far this month is just 51on the 5th  and the low so far is 16 on the 15th At Lansing their mean is now also at 33.5 but as it has been cooler there in the past the departure is +1.2 They have had 1.35” of precipitation with 15.6” of snow fall. The highest so far this month is 52 on the 1st and the lowest so far is 18 on the 14th At Muskegon the with the lake unfrozen is a mild 35.9 that is a departure of +2.9 they have had 0.85” of precipitation and 11.9” of snow fall the highest so far this month there is 50 on the 5th and 7th and the lowest so far is 18 on the 15th

March here in KC has been quite wet and cold, a couple warm days in there. 15-18 degrees Saturday and Sunday mornings this weekend!!! It does not appear that we have any sustained warmth for the rest of the month. Matter of fact, freezes look likely through early April. 

Anybody see any sustained warmth coming anytime soon? More cold likely??

• Like 1

Showers today with maybe a severe storm this afternoon. Most of the best stuff will stay south again. It looks quite cold the next few days for this time of year, with some lows in the low 20s over the weekend. 

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

I dodged the main impact of the front.   
However, at 7:30 we have wind at  31mph winds gusting to 54 mph.  
The storms developed as they passed Ft Worth and are still raging east of Dallas as it plows into warm air. 

Typical Spring Texas dry line storm.  

8F174027-9A05-4C3B-BE33-6940BE9BE747.jpeg

• Like 4

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Happy St Patrick's Day! The official H/L yesterday at Grand Rapids was 51/34 there was 0.19” of rain fall and no snow fall. The sun was out 10% of the time. The overnight was very warm for March standards and reached at least 49 before the cold front came thur that 49 will be the high for today. The current temperature here in MBY is now down to 40. For today the average H/L is 45/27 The record high of 78 was set in 2012 and the record low of -4 was set in 1949. Today is the 1st day of the year when the sun is up for 12 hours and is the same as around September 25th The most snow fall for today at Grand Rapids is 7.3” in 1973 I lived in Bay City in 1973 and there we had around 22” with one of the biggest blizzards over there. Last year St Pattys day was very spring like with a H/L of 67/44. Today will see falling temperatures and then we should see some snow overnight and into tomorrow. Will this be winters last stand? We shall see.

• Like 1

Still looking pretty chilly for this time of year the next few days. Sunday morning will be the coolest with low 20s possible. This is probably going to be the last hard freeze given that the extended forecast looks pretty mild. At this point I am ready to move on from winter so I'll hope we stay mild after this. 

Next severe risk looks to be next Thursday. 

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

1 hour ago, hawkstwelve said:

Sioux Falls has had an extreme winter this year according to AWSSI points. No matter what happens the remainder of the season, we will end with more AWSSI points than any season over the past decade.

Congrats on experiencing a bonafide Upper MW winter season!  You've had a nice run since late Nov when it all started.  I'm sure a lot of our members in MN also had a great ride @james1976 @St Paul Storm @MNTonka

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Black Hole said:

Still looking pretty chilly for this time of year the next few days. Sunday morning will be the coolest with low 20s possible. This is probably going to be the last hard freeze given that the extended forecast looks pretty mild. At this point I am ready to move on from winter so I'll hope we stay mild after this. 

Next severe risk looks to be next Thursday. 

Same here...I've had my summer tease of warmth last week and now we are entering an unsettled and cooler pattern next week that should bring more storms into the valley.  Although, not far from here, the mountains in NM are getting pounded right now with heavy snow in Taos, NM.  With that being said, I may do some storm tracking around these parts depending on how next week evolves.

https://live2.brownrice.com/embed/tsv

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Same here...I've had my summer tease of warmth last week and now we are entering an unsettled and cooler pattern next week that should bring more storms into the valley.  Although, not far from here, the mountains in NM are getting pounded right now with heavy snow in Taos, NM.  With that being said, I may do some storm tracking around these parts depending on how next week evolves.

https://live2.brownrice.com/embed/tsv

Hey Tom, any sustained warmth coming soon for the heartland. I see some warmth next week, but, more chances of freezes and possible snow look to hang out the rest of the month into April!! A couple bumps in there, but, not many. 

A low of 15 tomorrow morning and a high of maybe just 28-30 for KC tomorrow. That's 30 degrees below average. This is an impressive cold airmass coming in this weekend. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MIKEKC said:

Hey Tom, any sustained warmth coming soon for the heartland. I see some warmth next week, but, more chances of freezes and possible snow look to hang out the rest of the month into April!! A couple bumps in there, but, not many. 

A low of 15 tomorrow morning and a high of maybe just 28-30 for KC tomorrow. That's 30 degrees below average. This is an impressive cold airmass coming in this weekend. 

Your area should warm up next week as storms cut NW of you which will feel like Spring but it's going to a typical back n forth battle of the seasons through the rest of this month.  I see some warmth really building as we flip into APR, esp down by @Andie @OKwx2k4 @Black Hole into the Plains/MW for a period in early April.  Should really green things up and allow for vegetation to blossom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Next week was looking like maybe a big surge of warmth up here, with storms firing along the front.  Over the last day or two models have gradually shifted south, keeping this area cooler and less wet.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

DFW will see a freeze Saturday night. Until Easter we will be chilly.  That’s the norm here. 

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

The official high at Grand Rapids yesterday was 49 reached at 4:25 AM the temperature fell all day and reached the low of 27 at 11:59 PM. There was 0.35” of ran fall and a trace of snow fall, there was no sunshine. The overnight low here in MBT so far for today is the current temperature of 20 and there is snow falling and I have 2” now on the ground. For today the average H/L is 45/27 the record high of 75 was set in 1894,1903 and 2012. The record low of 5 was set in 1965 and todays record snow fall amount of 5.7” was set in 1965.

• Snow 1

It is a chilly morning with a temp of 19.  Wind Chills in the area are in the single didgets.0nJUMs1r_normal.jpg

If you are heading out early this morning, bundle up because its cold out there! Here's some wind chills as of 6am: KC: 2 Lees Summit: 0 St Joseph: -1 Kirksville: -3 Chillicothe: 2 Sedalia: 5 Olathe: 4 Gardner: 3 Marshall: 6 Maryville: -1 Moberly: 7
  • Shivering 3