March 2023 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Local mets were only forecasting snow showers across northern Iowa overnight.  Instead, 2-5" fell.

• Like 3

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

The Euro runs are going back and forth.  The 06z and 18z runs are southeast, the 00z and 12z runs are nw.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

KC is back on the wintry side of the front with a current temp of 36 degrees. This is after getting into the mid 50's to some areas seeing 60 degrees throughout the city. Again, this is quite the cold airmass for this time of year, not unheard of, but, it's cold from here northward. GFS model runs back around March 12th and 13th showed quite the cold pattern coming for weeks 3 and 4 of March and its been pretty darn accurate. The overall trend from March 12th was that it was not going to be a warm pattern through the end of the month. 

And the current trends for the midrange and beyond don't look much better through early April. Two weeks into HS baseball season and my son Charlie has yet to play a game. He has been rained out 3 times, one snow out last Friday, and one too cold on Saturday. 

Game scheduled for today, but.......it's 36 degrees and there's not much hope of a warm-up, plus, it's drizzling and the fields are still saturated. GEEZ

Long story short, this weather pattern is quite depressing. Very little sun this month.

BIG SNOW STORM FOR parts of Iowa up to Chicago.....NEW DATA soon

• Sick 1
  • Shivering 1

17 minutes ago, MIKEKC said:

KC is back on the wintry side of the front with a current temp of 36 degrees. This is after getting into the mid 50's to some areas seeing 60 degrees throughout the city. Again, this is quite the cold airmass for this time of year, not unheard of, but, it's cold from here northward. GFS model runs back around March 12th and 13th showed quite the cold pattern coming for weeks 3 and 4 of March and its been pretty darn accurate. The overall trend from March 12th was that it was not going to be a warm pattern through the end of the month. 

And the current trends for the midrange and beyond don't look much better through early April. Two weeks into HS baseball season and my son Charlie has yet to play a game. He has been rained out 3 times, one snow out last Friday, and one too cold on Saturday. 

Game scheduled for today, but.......it's 36 degrees and there's not much hope of a warm-up, plus, it's drizzling and the fields are still saturated. GEEZ

Long story short, this weather pattern is quite depressing. Very little sun this month.

BIG SNOW STORM FOR parts of Iowa up to Chicago.....NEW DATA soon

Gosh, your message is clearly why I love coming out to AZ during this time of year.  Not gonna lie, 2-3 days of No Sun is a big deal.  We had our share of cloudy and wet days these past few days, but unlike living in the MW/GL's, out here in the SW you can almost guarantee the Sun will come out.  We have a stretch of sunny days ahead and as I look out my patio window, it is clear blue skies...But chilly...only 45F.

• Sun 1

34 degrees with a wind chill in the 20's, must be spring sports season in Nebraska.  Front came through yesterday afternoon and it is chilling me to the bone.  Got used to some warmer temps last weekend and earlier this week.  We host our invitational track meet tomorrow, probably warm weather gear will be required.  Unfortunately, we keep missing out on the moisture from these fronts.  Seems like I've typed this previous sentence 100's of times over the years.  

2 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

The Euro runs are going back and forth.  The 06z and 18z runs are southeast, the 00z and 12z runs are nw.

Came down to IA just in time. Bout 2" here. Definitely didn't care to wake up to that. Must have brought it from MN lol

The Euro has also dropped the Monday Iowa snow event.  That's not surprising considering most models showed little, if anything.

I’m expecting about 6-8 inches from the Friday Night/Saturday storm! Euro has the most heaviest axis of snow just north of me…GFS and UKMET have it just about over me. So, we’ll see what happens! MKX says this may be a high end advisory event, but I believe that Winter Storm Watches will be issued.

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=MKX&issuedby=MKX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

Friday night through Saturday: Potent mid level wave will ride northeastward from the central Plains inducing low level cyclogenesis. Models in decent agreement with this surface low tracking to the southeast of the area through northern Indiana into lower Michigan and the eastern Lakes on Saturday. Very impressive upper jet structure with plentiful right rear quad divergence and some hint of coupling in a few instances. With the sustained easterly flow off the lake as the low draws closer some rain may mix in for parts of the east and south. However dynamic cooling likely to make that duration short. A narrow corridor of enhanced snowfall rates looks plausible that the NBM is not fully latching onto yet. At this time the overall consensus is for the higher snow totals to be in the eastern and southeast cwa with amounts trailing off across the western and northwest cwa. Higher rates within any heavier bands would lead to the locally heaviest accums where the rates would potentially trump the milder road temps. We expect rather low ratios with this event with a wet heavy snow looking likely. Also, based on internal discussion and conf call with surrounding offices, given that the event is occurring during a period of typically lower travel volume, and milder road temps (in most cases) from an overall impact perspective a high end advisory looks like the more likely route for this event. However, conditions may be worse within any heavier band where roads could become overwhelmed for a time.

• Like 1

We are now down to the last week of March 2023. So far March has been a mild but somewhat snowy month. Grand Rapids, Muskegon and Lansing have been above average in both temperatures and snow fall. At Grand Rapids the official H/L yesterday was 48/36 there was no rain or snow fall and the sun was out 19% of the possible time. The overnight low here in MBY so far and the current temperature is 32. For today the average H/L is 48/29 the record high of 78 was set in 1910 and 1939 the record low of -3 was set in 1974 and the record snow fall amount of 5.3” fell in 1947. Last year the H/L was 48/33 and there was a trace of snow fall.

Here is some weather history history for the posters in Missouri and Kansas.

1912: Residents of Kansas City began to dig out from a storm that produced 25 inches of snow in 24 hours. The snowfall total was nearly twice that of any other storm of modern record in Kansas City before or since that time. A record 40 inches of snow fell during March that year, and the total for the winter season of 67 inches was also a record. By late February of that year, Kansas City had received just six inches of snow. Olathe, Kansas received 37 inches of snow in the snowstorm, establishing a single storm record for the state of Kansas. (23rd-24th)

1929: St. Louis, Missouri soared to 92 degrees; their all-time record high for March.

• Like 6
  • scream 1

The thunderstorms last night and showers overnight have brought us a much needed 0.81" of rain here in Chester County PA. More rain with temps remaining in the 40's both today and tomorrow before Sunny and milder on Sunday. We could see an additional 0.5" to 1.0" of rain by Saturday evening.
Records for today: High 77 (1929) / Low 12 (1940) / Precipitation 1.21" (1989) / Snow 3.5" (1965)
image.png.ffdcb3d2e01dbf8a50003d7f52918a81.png
  • Like 1

All historical weather data analytics posted by me is specifically for the climate of Chester County PA.  We continually analyze the actual raw non-adjusted NWS certified Coop observed climate data for Chester County.  There have been no post observation adjustments to any of the detailed analytics. All data is sourced from trained NWS observers and spotters. The life blood of science is to challenge what is thought to be known. The concept that climate change etc. is somehow “settled science” describes a religion - a belief system that does not welcome challenges. We should all continue to challenge science!    Snow Totals 2023/24 = 24.5" -  11/28 (0.3") / 12/7 (0.8") / 12/11 (0.8") / 1/6 (2.0") / 1/16 (2.8") / 1/19 (4.5") / 2/13 (10.5") / 2/17 (2.8")

Average Chester County PA Snow at elevations over 660 FT ASL (1983-Present) = 35.9" Snow totals by season: 2022/23 (2.7") /2021/22 (20.5")  2020/21 snow  (52.2") /  2019/20 snow (5.8" )/ 2018/19 snow (35.1" )/ 2017/18 snow (58.5") / 2016/17 snow (24.0")/ 2015/16 snow (40.8")/ 2014/15 snow = (55.3") /2013/14 snow (80.0").

Check out the historical Western Chester County PA website at https://www.chescowx.com.  Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/ChescoWx and join us on the #1 social media source for all things Chester County weather on the Chester County Weather Page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/chescowx

National Weather Service  SKYWARN® Trained Spotter CHPA-174

63*.  Raining !
Rain is so welcomed.  Wish we got more.  Should taper off in an hour or 2.  

AEA53C0B-21EB-454C-A4D6-94BE180A898A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Storm 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

1 hour ago, westMJim said:

Here is some weather history history for the posters in Missouri and Kansas.

1912: Residents of Kansas City began to dig out from a storm that produced 25 inches of snow in 24 hours. The snowfall total was nearly twice that of any other storm of modern record in Kansas City before or since that time. A record 40 inches of snow fell during March that year, and the total for the winter season of 67 inches was also a record. By late February of that year, Kansas City had received just six inches of snow. Olathe, Kansas received 37 inches of snow in the snowstorm, establishing a single storm record for the state of Kansas. (23rd-24th)

1929: St. Louis, Missouri soared to 92 degrees; their all-time record high for March.

I'm sure our KC peeps are dreaming of a storm to hit their city like this again, heck, give them half those totals and they'll be happy campers.

Meantime, the storm that is about to hit the Lower Lakes is nearly identical to what transpired in LRC Cycle #1...150 days ago.  Here was my note for this storms pattern.  Gotta love the weather!

Screen Shot 2023-03-24 at 5.44.07 AM.png

• Like 1

@Sparky, I was talking with one of the neighbors in the jacuzzi yesterday afternoon and he mentioned that the city of Fountain Hills will be building a brand new astronomy science center.  This will be a 1st class observatory dome where your going to be able to see all sorts of planets, galaxies and stellar objects.  What a pleasant surprise!  The location is right next to me in an empty plot of land that has been fenced off.   I was wondering what they would be building and low and behold it will feature this amazing science facility and the largest telescope in the Valley!

https://bramnicklawaz.com/arizona-real-estate/an-18-million-discovery-project-proposed-for-fountain-hills/

https://darkskycenter.org/

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

5 minutes ago, Tom said:

@Sparky, I was talking with one of the neighbors in the jacuzzi yesterday afternoon and he mentioned that the city of Fountain Hills will be building a brand new astronomy science center.  This will be a 1st class observatory dome where your going to be able to see all sorts of planets, galaxies and stellar objects.  What a pleasant surprise!  The location is right next to me in an empty plot of land that has been fenced off.   I was wondering what they would be building and low and behold it will feature this amazing science facility and the largest telescope in the Valley!

https://bramnicklawaz.com/arizona-real-estate/an-18-million-discovery-project-proposed-for-fountain-hills/

https://darkskycenter.org/

Tom, per the 06z NAM, the big one is going to hit KC Sunday night!!! LOL

namconus_asnow_ncus_29.png

• lol 1
  • Snow 1
  • Spam 2

6-9 inches fell east of Cedar Rapids and northwest of the Quad Cities overnight as a very heavy band set up over that area.  4 inches fell near Iowa City and 2.5 just barely east of Cedar Rapids.  I did not see a single flake.

• Like 3
  • scream 1