March 2023 Observations and Discussion

Tom

On 3/22/2023 at 1:34 PM, Iowawx said:
32 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

6-9 inches fell east of Cedar Rapids and northwest of the Quad Cities overnight as a very heavy band set up over that area.  4 inches fell near Iowa City and 2.5 just barely east of Cedar Rapids.  I did not see a single flake.

Wow! Not a single flake there? We got about an inch here. Can’t believe how heavy the snow fall just barely to our east. Crazy. So close yet so far. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Clinton said:

Tornado Alley may light up late next week.  Day 6 outlook from the SPC.

1680177600-01679732460.png

Don’t say that!  
Hopefully the worst will stay west or north. 
We got < .5”.   Pathetic.  We need a slow rain event.  This strike and dash east stuff isn’t helping at all.  

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

We just missed out here in CR. Yet another close call. The snow will melt very fast anyway, but it would have been nice to get all that snow here. Models had this band of snow centered right over us a few days ago but of course, veered off to the east.

Perhaps we can get some snow tomorrow from a little system here.  

• Like 2

On 3/24/2023 at 8:12 AM, Tom said:

@Sparky, I was talking with one of the neighbors in the jacuzzi yesterday afternoon and he mentioned that the city of Fountain Hills will be building a brand new astronomy science center.  This will be a 1st class observatory dome where your going to be able to see all sorts of planets, galaxies and stellar objects.  What a pleasant surprise!  The location is right next to me in an empty plot of land that has been fenced off.   I was wondering what they would be building and low and behold it will feature this amazing science facility and the largest telescope in the Valley!

https://bramnicklawaz.com/arizona-real-estate/an-18-million-discovery-project-proposed-for-fountain-hills/

https://darkskycenter.org/

That's great! Will be something I'd wanna check out once it's finished and open. 

Light rain changed over to snow by around 1:00am, with big wet flakes dumping down for quite awhile last night, even here on the sharp wnw side of the defo band. Ended up with exactly 2" on elevated and grassy surfaces. Only about 0.09" rain before changeover with total liquid equivalent of 0.52". I also melted two core samples of 2" snow depth which amounted to 0.34",  just to get an idea, though I'm sure quite a bit of it melted as it fell, so would be more. Snowfall rates must have been phenomenal just to my east where bright orange echoes showed on radar! It's rapidly melting as I write after beautiful scenery this morning. 

• Like 3

Madison, Wi got 12.1", the biggest March one-day snowfall on record.  Wow!

There will never be an over-performer anything like that here.

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Omaha/Valley NE
312 PM CDT Sat Mar 25 2023

IAZ055-056-069-079-NEZ044-045-050>053-065>067-078-260415-
/O.NEW.KOAX.WW.Y.0012.230326T0900Z-230326T1500Z/
Harrison-Shelby-Pottawattamie-Mills-Dodge-Washington-Butler-
Saunders-Douglas-Sarpy-Seward-Lancaster-Cass-Saline-
Including the cities of Missouri Valley, Woodbine, Logan, Dunlap,
Harlan, Council Bluffs, Glenwood, Fremont, Blair, David City,
Wahoo, Ashland, Yutan, Omaha, Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista,
Seward, Milford, Lincoln, Plattsmouth, Crete, and Wilber
312 PM CDT Sat Mar 25 2023

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 10 AM CDT
SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 1 to 4
  inches.

* WHERE...Portions of southwest Iowa and east central and
  southeast Nebraska, including the greater Omaha and Lincoln
  metro areas.

* WHEN...From 4 AM to 10 AM CDT Sunday.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions where snowfall
  accumulates.

• Like 1

Crazy day! I had heavy rain just after midnight.  Then snow of half inch. .55 melted precip. Then 55 degrees this pm. Drove to Fairfield  iowa clearly  4 to 5 inches! So report  of 4.7" there. 10" in cuad cities, a 17" nw Illinois  and even a 20" in Wisconsin.. more snow along i80 sun? Nuts!

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1

We get another chance at Thurs/Fri rain.  40 & 30 %.
I hope our luck holds out. We need it. 

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

• Like 1

Oh not again... I mean we had some wind, but not the highest I've seen.

2023-03-25 23_01_12-Ashland Regional Airport.png

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Looking ahead, the next impactful severe weather event will come next Thursday-Friday. I wouldn't be surprised if the same areas that got hit hard over Dixie get it again. It's questionable how much actually develops in OK. 

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12