Update: Anak Krakatau Collapses Dec. 22nd - More Dangerous Than Ever

CARITA BEACH, Indonesia (AP) — The deadly tsunami struck in the dark, without warning.

At least 222 people were killed as waves smashed into houses, hotels and other beachside buildings Saturday night along Indonesia’s Sunda Strait, in a disaster that followed an eruption and possible landslide on Anak Krakatau, one of the world’s most infamous volcanic islands.

More than 800 others were injured and dozens were reported missing after the tsunami hit coastal areas along western Java and southern Sumatra islands at 9:27 p.m. Saturday amid a Christmas holiday weekend, the Disaster Management Agency said. The death toll could increase once authorities hear from all stricken areas.

https://apnews.com/e91d55a6b39542c0896c5f31a0098870

IMG_3500.JPG

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Death toll rises to 400.

No warning.

No ocean run-out.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-46667970

IMG_3504.PNG

IMG_3503.PNG

I'm not sure if this short clip will work but the image is of the explosion that sent out the run out Tsunami.

The collapse should be evident in the image.

https://twitter.com/hudasafiro/status/1076805858518982657?s=12

The volcano is sending clouds and ash over a mile into the air creating a 'volcanic thunderstorm'.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/indonesias-volatile-child-of-krakatau-collapsed-but-now-its-more-explosive-11546084803

"The volcano, called Anak Krakatau, partially collapsed in a violent spasm on Dec. 22, causing a massive landslide that sent high waves barreling toward both shores of the Sunda Strait, the narrow passage between the islands of Java and Sumatra. The volcano’s cone is now about 360 feet above sea level, Indonesian officials said Saturday, reduced from more than 1,000 feet before the collapse.

Volcanoes erupt or collapse when a buildup of pressure inside becomes too much for the cone to sustain. Anak Krakatau has been erupting since June and scientists say it is impossible to tell what it will do next, but it could erupt violently or the stress on the rock could force another collapse and send a landslide into the strait, triggering another tsunami."

Anak Krakatau collapsed on Dec. 22nd. It is 1/3 it's height and now stands 360' above the surface and is considered more dangerous than ever.

IMG_3515.JPG

IMG_3516.JPG

IMG_3517.JPG

Anak Krakatau is now a Level 3.  Approaching the volcano is considered dangerous, but no eruption is imminent. 

The eruption of Mount Anak Krakatau in South Lampung regency, Lampung, has stopped, according to the Volcanology and Geological Disaster Mitigation Center (PVMBG).

The center arrived at that conclusion based on the latest satellite imagery and weather observations.

Seismographic data from Sertung Islands, a cluster of islands near Anak Krakatau in the Sunda Strait, show that there were no more unusual tremors in the volcano, with the average amplitude of volcanic activity standing at 10 millimeters. During an eruption, Anak Krakatau’s average amplitude will be 25 – 30 mm.

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2018/12/30/anak-krakatau-eruption-stops-pvmbg.html

The entire conformation of the cone has changed. Approximately 2/3 of the volume of the cone is gone.

Comments?????

Note the change between photo 2 and photo 4.

Anak Krakatau - before eruption.jpg

Before the eruption

anak Krakatau, mid eruption.jpg

Mid eruption

Anak Krakatau - post eruption.jpg

Post eruption

anak-krakatau30dec18.jpg

Post eruption