2019 California and Southwest Weather Discussion Thread

Thunder98

How long? So that you're cooped up inside the house all day or a few days?

I suspected that might provoke a response from you  :D

While not as mobile, I still enjoy a constant rain for a few days. It brings a rare, unique atmosphere that I find pleasant. Especially if I have the fireplace going.

NWS San Diego says the KNKX radar will be offline for the next three weeks while it is being upgraded. I wish they had waited until the summer to do it. Santiago Peak blocks KSOX from seeing my area and all the other radars are too far away.

Okay. In the space of just 30 seconds, we went from no rain, to very heavy rain (for about 10 seconds), and back to no rain again. Didn't register in my rain gauge yet everything is soaked outside, whereas it was dry before.

I've never seen a burst of rain begin and end so quickly before.

Edit: Thunder here now.

Just 0.25" since midnight and I see patches of blue sky now. Doppler radar is emptying out.

This storm might have been a dud. Most of the energy was concentrated north and west of Los Angeles, with precipitation totals falling off sharply to the south. San Diego only has 0.01" so far.

This is one of the rare winter storms where orographic lift did not seem to occur or play any part at all - many mountain and foothill locations were even drier than some valley locations, oddly enough.

Heavy rain right now for the first time in a while. 0.34" yesterday, 0.02' in the last 60 seconds since midnight

Edit: I was on the receiving end of a direct hit of whatever cell just passed over my area. 0.10" in just 9 minutes.

Still going. 0.15" since midnight (only 20 minutes ago) and rising. This is the disadvantage of KNKX being down - I can't see what's hitting my area on radar at all, there's just nothing. The only other weather station online that I can see nearby currently reporting rain is De Luz, about 10 miles directly southwest of me. 0.12" there since midnight, they're getting hit by the same thing that's hitting my location right now. 0.17" now

Just 13 days until spring begins, although this seems to be an endless winter. 37 consecutive days without reaching 70 F in Downtown L.A. and not expected to do so anytime in the foreseeable future. Palm Springs set a record for number of consecutive days below 80 F earlier this year. I know many people are loving it though.

1983 El Nino was extremely wet, but it had some hot, dry periods in between the rainy weather. This winter has had almost no sunny days. 69 felt hot last week in the sun as we've become accustomed to so much cold.

The rain down there really clears out the air doesn't it? 

I remember flying into LAX on 2/1/2015 and coming in over snow covered mountains and green hillsides. It was incredibly beautiful and didn't really fit the profile of how I remembered LA. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

NWS San Diego says the KNKX radar will be offline for the next three weeks while it is being upgraded. I wish they had waited until the summer to do it. Santiago Peak blocks KSOX from seeing my area and all the other radars are too far away.

I would have thought that they would wait at least until the May Gray / June Gloom season to work on the radar. I guess they had this scheduled well ahead of time, and couldn't wait until later.

• Like 1

Very cold and windy for this last work day of Pacific Standard Time. Sunset (in standard time) is about the same time it is was (in daylight time) right before we ended Daylight Saving Time last fall and sunrise (in standard time) is about the same time it was the day we started Pacific Standard Time. Mornings will be dark next week.

Just out of interest, I still have the minute-by-minute data from my weather station back during the December 30-31 2014 snowstorm we got here. The rain transitioned to full-blown snow precisely at the 33.3 F mark, as I recall it. It shows that precipitation continued falling to noon that day, but actually it had stopped after 5 AM - the snow accumulating in my rain gauge bucket gradually melted and produced precipitation readings throughout the morning. Note the high temperature of only 47 F later that day, and that was in full sunshine.

VP3TWki.png