PNW March 2023 Weather Discussion (2012 Redux)

Requiem

7 minutes ago, Seattle said:

Interesting, I certainly has more than a 12" of snow depth in View Ridge back in Dec 2008.

Also came close in Feb 2021, but you seem to have picked up less snow than I had (11"). I guess with compaction it was more like 9.5"-10" depth.

I remember seeing 14" in Shoreline in December 1990.

It's called clown range for a reason.

12 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

What a dream! On Redfin's property access tool I've seen some homes in that region sitting around 1500-2000'. The shadowing must be immense, but in the right upsloping situations I bet things get out of control real quick.

Lake Dawn is a nice area. About 1,900' and right by the Hurricane Ridge entrance to Olympic National Park.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

3 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

By the way, how did that area get the name Little Oklahoma?

No idea. I only moved here 6 years ago. Everyone I ask looks at me like I am crazy 😂

• Like 2

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

Just now, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Looks like you had about the same as me. My max depth was in the 30-36 range depending where I measured. Had 50 inches total in 3 weeks

post-66-0-49249500-1549932315.jpg

post-66-0-15914900-1549932333.jpg

post-66-0-89284200-1549932358.jpg

post-66-0-12600900-1549946740.jpg

post-66-0-16011800-1549946788.jpg

I hit 32-36" max depth and 58" in ten days I believe. 78" for that whole season. 

4 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Lake Dawn is a nice area. About 1,900' and right by the Hurricane Ridge entrance to Olympic National Park.

I looked at a nice A frame house on that lake a few years ago. I bet they get hammered more than I do. Less shadowing as you go west

5 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Surprised to see the models are sticking to their guns on snow near the sound too…though I wouldn’t be surprised if totals get sliced near the Puget sound over the next 48 hours. 

Might be the last real chance for the lowlands. I still think friday night could be the biggest event of the season out here or close. 

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

13 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Can someone post the 18z gfs snow maps for tonight and Friday night through sat please

12 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

gfs-deterministic-washington-snow_24hr_kuchera-7790800.png

gfs-deterministic-washington-snow_24hr_kuchera-7963600.png

So am I looking at that correctly that the Euro gives me more snow than the GFS??? That’s rare. 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

4 minutes ago, MossMan said:

So am I looking at that correctly that the Euro gives me more snow than the GFS??? That’s rare. 

I think so.   

But those maps are the specific 24-hour periods requested.   Your big c-zone snow comes on Friday morning and unfortunately the goofy GFS puts it farther north.   The ECMWF has been very consistent and it will actually be over your area.

gfs-deterministic-washington-snow_6hr-7877200.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

I think so.   

But those maps are the specific 24-hour periods requested.   Your big c-zone snow comes on Friday morning and unfortunately the goofy GFS puts it farther north.   The ECMWF has been very consistent and it will actually be over your area.

gfs-deterministic-washington-snow_6hr-7877200.png

Ahhh gotcha thanks!! 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Flagstaff is having a dawg of a winter, especially this last month. Going back to November, all months have been either cooler than normal, snowier than normal, or both. (T.anom/precip/snow)

Nov: -2.9F/1.09"/3.5"

Dec: 1.9F/2.33"/20.6"

Jan: -4.0F/5.87"/61.4"

Feb: -5.6F/3.12"/33.4"

• Like 6

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

50 minutes ago, MillCreekMike said:

It’s gonna be weird seeing things slow down on here so much after the nearly endless model riding we had on here this winter

Yeah it will be back to Colorful yard and playing on the water pics! I know a few posters who are super excited for that!!! 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

No idea. I only moved here 6 years ago. Everyone I ask looks at me like I am crazy 😂

It’s awesome to have a poster from your area! I always knew your area did well and those photos are awesome!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MossMan said:

Yeah it will be back to Colorful yard and playing on the water pics! I know a few posters who are super excited for that!!! 

In summer I’ll be looking forward to the first “wet deck” picture after the inevitable weeks long dry streak 😂

• lol 3

(Previous name: MillCreekMike)

Everett, WA (elev. 180’)

2023-2024 Snowfall:

1/11: Tr.

1/18: Tr.

Go M’s

It’s like I live in a different world. Coming back from Wenatchee and hitting I-5 in Everett it was 48 degrees. By the time I take my exit in north Stanwood it was 38 degrees with snow on the ground still. The fresh snow that fell this morning is still protected under my truck from when I parked it at 6:45am! 

603E709F-9026-480B-ADD1-7223D99740A6.jpeg

• Like 6

Big storm rolling in today down here.

Check out the live cam from Flagstaff!

• Like 6
  • Excited 1
  • Snow 1

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

1 hour ago, Andstorm said:

I think most people in the Oregon lowlands are pretty over it after all these marginal close calls that don’t really amount to much. As one of those people, I get it. Plus it’s freaking March. But the pattern this weekend is actually kind of intriguing based on a potential influx of colder air into columbia basin and a low placement that might pull some of that into Portland region. Still doubtful, but can at least see a scenario where a broader area sees accumulating snow at least for a bit than the previous few days. 

You've got a lot of weenies out there today for someone with a lot of snow, Rubus.

• Weenie 1

38 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

Flagstaff is having a dawg of a winter, especially this last month. Going back to November, all months have been either cooler than normal, snowier than normal, or both. (T.anom/precip/snow)

Nov: -2.9F/1.09"/3.5"

Dec: 1.9F/2.33"/20.6"

Jan: -4.0F/5.87"/61.4"

Feb: -5.6F/3.12"/33.4"

Helluva stretch for pretty much the entire West.

120dTDeptNWSWR.png

• Like 6
  • Shivering 1

A forum for the end of the world.

image.png

Saturday morning gradients+winds turn offshore again and a shortwave retrogrades into the Sound and stalls. This could be a decent setup, maybe a few inches if all goes right.

Yes, marginal situations have been more 'miss' than 'hit' this winter, but since when did marginal snow events become in any way reliable? As far as I'm concerned, for locations like mine that are low in elevation within Seattle and often just south of the PSCZ, this winter has panned out pretty much as you would expect, maybe a bit on the unlucky side. Our busts this winter have been more related to climo tendencies and erroneous model outputs than heartbreaking jogs to the north or south. Hence why I'm not too mad about our underperformances. 2013-2018 gave me some real good patience too....

The way I see it, Saturday morning is just another roll of the dice. Let's hope it works out.

• Like 8

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

13 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

image.png

Saturday morning gradients+winds turn offshore again and a shortwave retrogrades into the Sound and stalls. This could be a decent setup, maybe a few inches if all goes right.

Yes, marginal situations have been more 'miss' than 'hit' this winter, but since when did marginal snow events become in any way reliable? As far as I'm concerned, for locations like mine that are low in elevation within Seattle and often just south of the PSCZ, this winter has panned out pretty much as you would expect, maybe a bit on the unlucky side. Our busts this winter have been more related to climo tendencies and erroneous model outputs than heartbreaking jogs to the north or south. Hence why I'm not too mad about our underperformances. 2013-2018 gave me some real good patience too....

The way I see it, Saturday morning is just another roll of the dice. Let's hope it works out.

Just need that precip to move just a few more miles to the east! 

26 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

image.png

Crap. I’m getting suckered in again. 

• lol 2
  • scream 1

27 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

image.png

It would be nice to squeak out one more event for the lowlands even if it’s just an inch or two. Especially at SEA because then that would make it 5 straight months with measurable snow there.

• Like 1

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 48

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

12 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

18Z ECMWF for Friday night and Saturday morning

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-snow_24hr_kuchera-7974400 (2).png

Is my Friday AM still on? 

• Like 1