January 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Requiem

39* Federal Way

Currently at my parents place in SE Portland with some nice gusty east winds blowing at times.

Had awesome celebration of life service yesterday for Dad and nice weather as well!

The most emotional part was at Willamette National Cemetery where he had the Three volley solute with Taps playing.

Navel personal handed over the flag to my Mom....such a powerful moment and emotions flowed. I so much wanted to thank the two gentlemen who who did the 13 folds of our Flag but they disappeared just as hero’s do.

My dad just passed away last Saturday. He was also a Navy veteran. At 96 years his death was not unexpected but death always leaves a vacuum. Thankful for the good memories.

Here we go.

Michael Ventrice@MJVentrice

The ECMWF hires is blowing up heights over the North Pole into Alaska. This is the first step towards the highly touted pattern change in January. Note the wavenumber 5/6 pattern around the Hemisphere now, composed of 5 (arguable there are 6) anomalous troughs.

qOgOTSn.jpg

https://mobile.twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/1082664763190984704

Some of the Great Lakes and east coast guys are starting to get pretty excited.

At least that big cinnamon bun spinning offshore should help continue the demise of the blob.

The blob, in many ways, is the symbol of the warm "new climate" regime that has plagued the PNW since 2013. 

Killing it doesn't truly change anything, but might make people feel more optimistic about the future.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

I remember when my dad died, the taps and salute were very emotional.  The gal playing taps was at a bit of a distance, and that added to the affect.  My mom had already passed, so I got the flag.  That was an incredible honor for me.  They gave condolences "On behalf of a grateful nation".  

We are all grateful for you fathers' service to our country.

So powerful and such a incredible moment !!!

Thank you everyone for your kind words

• Like 2

The blob, in many ways, is the symbol of the warm "new climate" regime that has plagued the PNW since 2013.

Killing it doesn't truly change anything, but might make people feel more optimistic about the future.

I think there was some substance to it not allowing fog/marine layer to form as thick/easily and that it does warm the atmosphere above it to some extent.

12Z ECMWF is less blocky and ridgy.

A couple splitting systems make it into the PNW as a result and the total precip for the 3-10 day period is higher than on the 00Z run.

ecmwf-precip-168-conus2-41-1.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Well shitt my wind meter stopped working on my davis vantage pro. Moss didn't you get a new station for Christmas?

No need to replace the whole thing. Does the wind direction work with zero speed, or is there no reading whatsoever? If it’s the former, it sounds like your magnetic reed switch croaked. If you can afford it I’d dry an ultrasonic upgrade, if not you can obviously replace the anemometer with another Davis mechanical one.

If it’s the latter, it’s probably a cable issue..might just need to clean the end of the plug. Or if it’s internal to the cable, you’ll need to swap the anemometer system since the cable is wired in. If it’s the ISS hub and not the cable, then you’ll need to replace ISS board and NOT the anemometer. So I’d test it before purchasing any replacements.

Well shitt my wind meter stopped working on my davis vantage pro. Moss didn't you get a new station for Christmas?

I did! Still in the box unfortunately since I haven’t had time to even figure out where I need to put it.

39A62734-7E7E-4E8B-B423-C8A6F0B5FACF.jpeg

• Like 3

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

. I wouldn’t mind it in summer and then maybe go away for the winter:)

Good to see another person like hot weather in the summer.

I don't think the "blob" is that big of a deal in the Winter. In fact it might actually help promote blocking and cold weather. The blob first formed in 2013 due to the Triple R, also known as the Ridiculously Resilient Ridge. That Winter the PNW got 2 big league Arctic Blast.

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer my Winters to be cold and dry with lots of snow.

I don't think the "blob" is that big of a deal in the Winter. In fact it might actually help promote blocking and cold weather. The blob first formed in 2013 due to the Triple R, also known as the Ridiculously Resilient Ridge. That Winter the PNW got 2 big league Arctic Blast.

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer my Winters to be cold and dry with lots of snow.

I think the speculation has been more about the blob's effect on summer temps, but I could be wrong.

I am actually not a fan of hot summers just like the marine layer/fog days minimized. I don’t mind some days like that here and there but not the full on June gloom. Petty concerns really, in general I love the northwest weather other than wouldn’t mind a little more dynamic weather here and there. Probably wouldn’t live anywhere else weather wise as we are a short drive to really any weather we want.

This.

Yea. It’s just been a steady diet of cold dry winters since 2013!

16-17 was close to being a pretty solid winter most places. The waters of the NE pacific we’re pretty chilly that winter.

• Like 1

Mine crapped out a while back after 9 years. Davis refurbed the entire station for $140 plus shipping. Just like a new station now. Their tech service is great.

Yea. It’s just been a steady diet of cold dry winters since 2013!

16-17 was close to being a pretty solid winter most places. The waters of the NE pacific we’re pretty chilly that winter.

Very solid for most of lower BC, wouldn't you say? Especially considering the lengthy snow cover. And exceptional for most the Willamette Valley. Ok to decent for most of Puget Sound.

Regionally cold!

Very solid for most of lower BC, wouldn't you say? Especially considering the lengthy snow cover. And exceptional for most the Willamette Valley. Ok to decent for most of Puget Sound.

Regionally cold!

It was a very good winter here. One of my favourites. The majority of the winter had snowcover.

Very possible. I just meant that destroying the blob doesn't mean much in the big picture. But it feels good.

The blob is a symptom of a certain persistent pattern, not a driver. If anything it’s a sign of more low pressure/mixing offshore and less persistent high pressure. Whatever that may mean going forward. Maybe nothing!

EPS keeps the arctic air largely cutoff from NA thru week 2. Finally some signs of the cold dumping into the east during week 3 as the west coast ridge amplifies over western NA

1FAB5A36-B1B0-48F5-9B6B-B31593A9BE4B.png

You can kind of see the negative tilt/retrogression signal in there. I’ll bet a cluster of EPS members actually does retrograde the ridge offshore, but I haven’t actually checked yet.

For whatever it’s worth our winters have generally been pretty mild and wet since the blob thing started. With hot and dry warm seasons. Worst of both worlds!

You can kind of see the negative tilt/retrogression signal in there. I’ll bet that there is a cluster of EPS members that retrogrades the ridge offshore, but I haven’t actually checked yet.

Doubtful

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

We will never see interesting weather ever again ever.

Well it certainly feels that way right now. Hopefully it'll break one day but until I'm able to move it's probly going to be like this more often than not.  I'm getting closer to the acceptance stage that this part of the valley sucks for active weather.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

A kick to the groin of post-2013 warm seasons!

Even a fukkn average one with a bit of rain...remember those when we were kids?

Personal Stats:

Venmo

For whatever it’s worth our winters have generally been pretty mild and wet since the blob thing started.

Makes sense, since the tropically-forced Aleutian Low/+PNA/+TNH pattern that produced those warm winters (the pattern was driven by the northward broadening of the warm pool/ITCZ convection) is also what caused the blob.

Obviously, the blob is not responsible those changes in the deep tropics. The tail doesn’t wag the dog like that.