Weather in 2019

Phil

Stagnant pattern continues for a few more weeks with the warm rains and moderate back quadrant breezes.

Rest up for the typically-heavier action from the last week of January to the first week of April. Could be another long winter with the SSW/+ENSO and potential for eastward propagation of low frequency forcing with time.

My hunch is we see at least one solid snow event during the first half of February. Possibly two, but at least one event. Then another one in early/mid March.

The million dollar question is did we dissipate enough of the built up heat in the Western Pacific to preclude a long lasting El Nino.  I say it's a 50/50 shot right now.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The million dollar question is did we dissipate enough of the built up heat in the Western Pacific to preclude a long lasting El Nino. I say it's a 50/50 shot right now.

My hunch is a moderate or strong niño in 2019/20 followed by a powerful multiyear niña lasting through at least the early 2020s. Could be a 3+ year cold ENSO event, in which case a PDO/PMM tank is likely as well.

But I don’t think the system will be ready for it next winter. Could be one last niño to get through.

Its enjoyable to watch the snow weenies in the east squirm and prep their winter cancel banners.

I actually agree. Especially the New England ones.

Spoiled motherf**kers. :lol:

• Like 1

In the south we don't look forward to the Niñas as they bring drought. However, that said, this cold weather this year in Texas has bothered a lot of people as well. I think it's the moisture. We've had 63" of rain and the winter continues to be wet or damp and frankly, a lot of us are ready for some moderation. Not drought, but moderation.

So, that said,...what is your prognostication of drought for the south?

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

2018 was probably the wettest year ever for my area.

Total was 84.08”. And over 50” of that fell during the summer months. Had a few training thunderstorms dump some insane totals in very short periods of time.

eKx81Bu.jpg

Just had a nice elevated convective squall. Sheets of windswept rain and gusty winds.

What looked like a shallow stable layer kept gusts under 40mph, but the clouds were racing across the sky just off the surface.

2018 was probably the wettest year ever for my area.

Total was 84.08”. And over 50” of that fell during the summer months.

eKx81Bu.jpg

50 inches of the rain in the summer just sounds miserable.  I hate warm and wet weather with a passion.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

50 inches of the rain in the summer just sounds miserable. I hate warm and wet weather with a passion.

It’s not fun since it comes in 15 minute bursts, yields to blasting sunshine, and contributes to insane humidity for months on end.

And we haven’t had a “good” severe weather season to make it worthwhile since 2014. Hopefully this year delivers otherwise it’s pointless.

Beautiful day today, highs in the 50’s with bright sunshine and a deep blue sky. A bit breezy though w/ gusts between 30-40mph, which is a bit higher than forecasted. Gotta love downsloping.

Was a beautiful cloudless afternoon to this point, but a solid wall of cumulus is moving is as I type this.

Frontal passage looks timed for ~ 10-11pm here. Should be an initial wall of wind with the front/pressure surge, followed by the typical lull before the CAA/gradient winds kick up later. Should be 40-50mph regionwide, stronger with increasing latitude and elevation. So typical stuff minus the saturated ground.

About to get nuked. Impressive convective gusts being picked up by a number of stations out west, though nothing too impressive at the official Winchester/Marrinsburg airports yet.

EmJMLil.jpg

My station registered to 47mph, decent given all the large trees around here.

Must have been a pre-frontal squall..still waiting for the CAA/pressure surge.

Man it’s ripping out there. My station just hit 51mph, so it’s cutting right through the trees.

House is shaking like a mofo too. Watching my glass of diet dr. pepper ripple with each gust, lol.

That was a nice snow squall, briefly down to ~ 1/4mi visibility with winds between 35-40mph. Some graupel mixed in too. Picked up maybe 1/10th of an inch, lol.

Round 2 moving in now. No graupel, little to no wind, big fluffy flakes.

Went for a walk..beautiful out there. All you can hear is the pitter-patter of the snowflakes hitting the ground.

~1.5” and 29.3 degrees

Kudos to LWX..looks like a last minute slowing/deepening trend has taken place across guidance.

Appears as if 4-8” is the most likely outcome now as the comma head pivots overhead tomorrow afternoon.

Bumped up to 5-10”.

WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 5 to 10 inches expected.

* WHERE...The District of Columbia, portions of central Maryland and northern and northwest Virginia.

* WHEN...Until 6 PM EST Sunday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Travel could be very difficult due to snow covered and slippery roads.

Have ~ 6” and counting here even with compaction. Been a long duration light snow..started ~ 230pm yesterday so closing in on 22hrs.

MkoR4th.jpg

DbnBSPW.jpg

Clouds of snow starting to blow off the evergreens now.

I’m not sure it’s possible to get a completely calm snowstorm here. Has to be a real paste job to hold it.

That’s a massive ice storm on the 12z ECMWF.

Some snow/sleet followed by 2” of freezing rain then strong NW winds. Yikes.

That’s a massive ice storm on the 12z ECMWF.

Some snow/sleet followed by 2” of freezing rain then strong NW winds. Yikes.

Sounds fun (..ish). I'd take even that over this overcast/partly sunny PACNW nonsense.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Sounds fun (..ish). I'd take even that over this overcast/partly sunny PACNW nonsense.

This pattern has promise finally. I’m closing in on 10” here. Hard to believe how much this storm is over performing..it looked like a 3-4” type deal just a day and a half ago. Almost reminds me of 2000..and models weren’t nearly as good back then as they are now.

• Like 1

Still snowing as we approach midnight. Started at approximately 230pm yesterday so it’s been 31.5 hours and counting.

I’m estimating ~ 11” right now. I want to say a foot, but I don’t think we’ve quite made it yet, and I’m too tired to go out and measure. I suppose we could pick up another inch or so, but pending an obvious increase in accumulation I’m sticking with 11”.

A very enjoyable event, all things considered. Big time overperformer. And possibly just an appetizer ahead of some bigger storms later this month and into early February.

The temperature is plummeting with the clear skies and relatively fresh snowpack.

NWS point & click has a low of 15*F here tonight.

Another chilly morning..16.9*F here, 13*F at Dulles, and of course a toasty 24*F at DCA.

Looks like a quick hitting winter event arrives tomorrow evening, with maybe an inch of snow w/ some glaze on top. Then attention turns to the big weekend storm and Arctic blast behind it.

Winter weather advisory for 1-2” this evening, timed right for the evening rush. A few snow flakes just starting to fall as of ~ 520pm. Should be be a quick one.

Still have a decent snowpack here, so hopefully we can add to it before the weekend washout/flash freeze event.

Solid moderate snow, I think we’ll hit an inch.

Coating everything like paste. Beautiful.

INCREDIBLY jealous of you guys. You have no idea.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INCREDIBLY jealous of you guys. You have no idea.

When summer comes around I’m sure the tables will be reversed as usual.

I am craving a deep cyclone, though. We haven’t had a high wind warning event or a blizzard/blowing snow event yet..and desperately desire one. :)

• Like 1

When summer comes around I’m sure the tables will be reversed as usual.

I am craving a deep cyclone, though. We haven’t had a high wind warning event or a blizzard/blowing snow event yet..and desperately desire one. :)

EURO's your run, shows some very deep cyclones (one of them shows 60-70 widespread gusts across the Mid-Atlantic region). I think you'll get something good, at the very least.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

EURO's your run, shows some very deep cyclones (one of them shows 60-70 widespread gusts across the Mid-Atlantic region). I think you'll get something good, at the very least.

Tough pattern to get deep storms in though..that cold vortex tends to suppress/flatten waves a bit. We should get winds between 40-50mph Sunday afternoon, but nothing outrageous.

Big winds here usually wait until Feb-Apr. Obviously the 40-50mph stuff can happen anytime, but 60-70+ usually requires a combination of dynamic forcing and vertical instability that isn’t fully present until insolation increases a bit, starting in the middle of February.

• Like 1