Weather in 2019

Phil

Wow..75mph in Streby, WV. Also a few stations in Winchester just downwind of Back Mountain are reporting gusts to 75mph. The 88mph in Snowshoe is the strongest of anywhere in this storm so far. Hagerstown also to 65mph as well.

Man, when that gradient moves over us tomorrow morning..it will take no prisoners.

Series of transformer explosions to my west. Lit up the sky like lightning followed by that “woooomp-pop” sound.

I assume that gust is heading this way.

• Like 1

And there it is. Probably a smart move by LWX.

WIND ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST THIS MORNING...

...HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM THIS MORNING TO 6 PM EST THIS EVENING...

The National Weather Service in Baltimore MD/Washington has issued a High Wind Warning, which is in effect from 7 AM this morning to 6 PM EST this evening.

* TIMING...Strong winds will continue through this afternoon.

* WINDS...West 25 to 35 mph with gusts of 50 to 60 mph. The highest winds are expected this morning.

• Like 1

Another 73mph gust in Grant County, Martinsburg is roaring again with 61mph, and Dulles just hit 54mph. To think this is well before the peak gradient, and also in the middle of the night (when mixing is poor).

I’m on edge about tomorrow morning now..I think there could be isolated swaths of serious wind gust between 8AM and 11AM, probably in the favored corridor across NE VA into Northern and Central MD.

Downtown DC 58mph, Silver Spring 60mph.

High Wind Warning should include DC for the morning rush hour, IMO.

(Update: LWX just expanded it to include the entire DC metro).

• Like 1

70mph Shady Grove, VA. 65mph Lost River, VA.

We’ve lulled out for now, so maybe I’ll try to get some shuteye before the house starts shaking again. Lol.

Strongest gust so far is the 48mph yesterday evening behind the front. I’m thinking we’ll surpass that easily after the Sun rises.

• Like 1

Holy crap, had a 15 minute period of insane wind around 830AM..had to be sustained close to 50mph, gusting well over 60mph.

My station has trees blocking it and still recorded a gust of 54mph, 52mph, 51mph, and a multitude of 40-50mph gusts within that stretch.

This is nasty. My ears are popping..that hasn’t happened in a windstorm since last March. It feels like the house is going to explode at the seams from the pressure.

Big, old trees are bent over double and staying that way for extended periods of time.

The wind somehow got under the Silver Spring metro overhang, blasted this sign into bits and pieces, and then threw the pieces across multiple rows of train tracks.

yxfSJ1y.jpg

ApY8sED.jpg

Kc27Dl0.jpg

Looks like we’ve lost three screens off the porch and one off the house. And they’re nowhere to be found.

Of course.

Go Snowshoe! Still in the lead. #representin’

iiIMwjZ.png

BTW, this should be updated with new a ranking for Dulles since they gusted to at least 58mph.

So far I have recorded 54mph on the mechanical anemometer and 62mph on the ultrasonic unit. Both are obstructed by trees to some extent, but not excessively either.

Mount Washington already gusted to 144mph, there’s a chance they could approach 180mph.

yBQCUnw.jpg

Sustained at 134mph, gusting to 162mph, and still increasing as of 545pm on Mt. Washington.

TaKZfXr.jpg

• Like 1

Have to agree on the winds. Texas gets a lot of wind in March/April and again in October. But no thanks.

Black cloud bad is so true down here. They can just be one to pound you with rain, or change its mind and rip your roof off.

Far too fickle for me. But it's a great place to live.

We're experiencing the doldrums right now. 58*. Overcast. Mild wind.

70* tomorrow and a front moves through this weekend with Low 40's and rain.

No big whoop, it's Texas in late February.

Our seasons tend to be Winter, Weird, Spring, Summer, and Weird again.

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Driving around, I noticed some houses missing siding on Bannockburn Drive, and one of the new houses had the central bay window frame (not the glass) blown in partially on the front, which could have been a flaw in the carpentry.

Also there are homes with shutters missing and a few with shutters that are *partially* missing (like, half is missing, but the other half is fully attached). Sort of hard to envision how that could happen lol...I guess they came partially detached and snapped off in turbulent eddies or something. Been mulling that one over.

Also, I’m once again impressed with the trees. Seems there is little if any weak wood remaining based on the relative lack of carnage around here after both the ice storm and now these 60+mph winds. A few evergreens were uprooted on River Road, probably thanks to the saturated soil conditions. Also, some larger crown branches were down on side streets and yards in the highly exposed areas near the Potomac River itself (mostly Glen Echo on the hill south of the bend, where the wind funnels very hard from the west). However, overall I didn’t see too many tree issues compared to what you’d typically see in a 55-65mph windstorm under saturated soil conditions. At least that is the case locally.

I've been stunned at the wind in your area.

It's just been amazing. We get wind here, but your totals are just crazy!

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

I've been stunned at the wind in your area.

It's just been amazing. We get wind here, but your totals are just crazy!

The last few years have definitely had some persistently windy patterns, and from a direction that just happens to favor us.

• Like 1

Phil a question for you.could one of the reasons why el ninos sucked and la ninas and cold neutul gave us big winters in the little ice age times could have played a part of the locations of the enso events meaning we had more often times east basin El ninos and La ninas as to oppose to the more recent trends?

That, as well as the structure of the Indo-West Pacific Warm Pool, annular/meridional modes and their seasonality, cooler climate etc. It’s all interwoven.

• 3 weeks later...

Wish we could combine the two threads for synoptic banter. Most of the Feb/Mar stuff is in the other thread.

Mid-40s and drizzly this afternoon as the coastal skirts offshore. Snow fell in parts of Central NC this morning including Charlotte, which was its first April snow since 1982, or 37 years ago.

........another negative nao trend mid month that would really suck moose balls :lol:

Can I quote you on that?

You're right though. This has been one odd winter and spring is looking wonky.

Storms this weekend with highs in the 80's.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice gentle thunderstorm last night. Highs in the mid-70s again today.

Tomorrow evening/overnight looks interesting. Strong windfield and anomalously high moisture fluxes/PWATs with high shear could make for a severe weather threat even beyond peak heating.

Then Monday looks like a gusty day too..mid-April insolation + downsloping/CAA/pressure rises should lead to an overperformance in mixing based on history..~45mph looks doable west of the fall line per guidance despite winds not being ideally aligned with height.

Nice gentle thunderstorm last night. Highs in the mid-70s again today.

Tomorrow evening/overnight looks interesting. Strong windfield and anomalously high moisture fluxes/PWATs with high shear could make for a severe weather threat even beyond peak heating.

Then Monday looks like a gusty day too..mid-April insolation + downsloping/CAA/pressure rises should lead to an overperformance in mixing based on history..~45mph looks doable west of the fall line per guidance despite winds not being ideally aligned with height.

Tornado watch out for our reagion and there our tonado warnings with the line to the southwest also must watch for any discrete supercells that forum ahead of the line it self.also on top of that we got very strong winds aloft any of these storms could tap those winds at the surface tonight certainly has a shot to be legit tonight.

Tornado watch issued. Overnight QLCS possible with damaging winds and imbedded tornadoes.

I’m also interested in the potential for strong gradient winds tomorrow afternoon.

Tornado watch issued. Overnight QLCS possible with damaging winds and imbedded tornadoes.

I’m also interested in the potential for strong gradient winds tomorrow afternoon.

Yeah there are reports of 70 + mail winds being reported of course the Mountains out there may be enhancing the winds in the storms as well but it just gives you an indication to not sleep on these storms tonight.