Weather in 2019

Phil

This was underwhelming locally. Some claps of thunder and a few hard gusts under the LLJ as some showers passed overhead and mixed it down (maybe 45mph).

A few 60+mph gusts elsewhere across the region..DCA and IAD each gusted to 48mph, but so far it doesn’t look like a worst-case outcome.

The strongest winds here will likely come from the cold advection/downsloping tomorrow afternoon.

Hellacious gusts again after a lull. One of them got into the creek gulley and blew spray off the water and high into the air.

This was underwhelming locally. Some claps of thunder and a few hard gusts under the LLJ as some showers passed overhead and mixed it down (maybe 45mph).

A few 60+mph gusts elsewhere across the region..DCA and IAD each gusted to 48mph, but so far it doesn’t look like a worst-case outcome.

The strongest winds here will likely come from the cold advection/downsloping tomorrow afternoon.

the storms seemed to have got stronger on the Eastern Shore as del had a confermed ef2 tornado last night and another possable tornado that is being investigated on the Eastern shore.it seemed here the storms were in there beginning stages and really got going once they cross the bay.

Tornado watch and a flash flood watch in effect, the former goes until midnight, this latter until 5AM.

Dewpoints rising into the mid/upper 60s now as the LLJ cranks up. Definitely more mini-couplets today on velocity than last time.

First (appetizer) round of downpours just rolled through here. Can’t call it a thunderstorm since I did not observe any thunder or lightning, but had a few gusts to ~ 30mph and sheets of rain.

The more organized stuff is congealing to the southwest and should roll through this evening.

First (appetizer) round of downpours just rolled through here. Can’t call it a thunderstorm since I did not observe any thunder or lightning, but had a few gusts to ~ 30mph and sheets of rain.

The more organized stuff is congealing to the southwest and should roll through this evening.

yesterdays event literally crapped the bed here nothing to really write home about at all the real storms tracked to our west and east.

Tornado went through Reston last night, just a few blocks west of my Grandmother’s place. Houses condemned, trees snapped, etc. But luckily her place was fine. Just some minor tree damage.

Another brief couplet passed a half mile to my south. Was very weak but winds did start from the E/NE with an onslaught of pouring rain, then winds blasted in from the S/SW, taking some small limbs and new leaves/needles off the trees. But nothing too strong. No thunder or lightning either, since temps were so warm aloft and convection was relatively shallow. All driven by shear/dynamics.

Here’s an image as that thing just missed me..was probably off the ground too. Very weak circulation (I’m inside the circle).

fZgyFMI.jpg

Tornado went through Reston last night, just a few blocks west of my Grandmother’s place. Houses condemned, trees snapped, etc. But luckily her place was fine. Just some minor tree damage.

Another brief couplet passed a half mile to my south. Was very weak but winds did start from the E/NE with an onslaught of pouring rain, then winds blasted in from the S/SW, taking some small limbs and new leaves/needles off the trees. But nothing too strong. No thunder or lightning either, since temps were so warm aloft and convection was relatively shallow. All driven by shear/dynamics.

Here’s an image as that thing just missed me..was probably off the ground too. Very weak circulation (I’m inside the circle).fZgyFMI.jpg

tornados are worse at night and especially in this case when the storms were not producing much if any lighting so you really have very little warning in realiseing one could be on the ground until it hits you.
  • Like 1

Tomorrow evening looks interesting..classic setup for a forced squall line around these parts with one gap in it.

Also surprised how bearish LWX is on gradient winds tomorrow night/Saturday forenoon. Looks like 40-50mph west of the Fall Line following the frontal passage and possibly again Saturday AM between 8-11AM. Mixing is almost never an issue w/ these CAA/NW flow setups. Will be more than mean-layer for sure.

Big stuff missed me (again) but man, some nasty stuff being reported to the north and east of here. Trees down, poles snapped, roofing, etc. A 76mph gust was reported at sparrow’s point.

Wind advisory for the gradient tomorrow morning. Wise move by LWX based on the 18z 3km NAM et al, which depicts terrain enhanced 850mb winds around 60kts. Not all of that will mix down, but enough will.

Big stuff missed me (again) but man, some nasty stuff being reported to the north and east of here. Trees down, poles snapped, roofing, etc. A 76mph gust was reported at sparrow’s point.

Wind advisory for the gradient tomorrow morning. Wise move by LWX based on the 18z 3km NAM et al, which depicts terrain enhanced 850mb winds around 60kts. Not all of that will mix down, but enough will.

got heavey rain but not much wind the storms really intensified when they hit the bay.

Edit: It was Racoon Point, not Sparrow’s Point, that measured the 76mph wind yesterday. Whoops.

Gusting hard today under the gradient..fairly consistent around 45mph so far. Not as strong as the mid-April event yet but noticeably more stress on the trees with the leaves maturing.

Big gust just now, 51mph through the trees. Took a moderate sized limb off one of the tulip poplars, which looks to have heartwood rotting upon closer inspection.

Gonna have to break out the pruning seal and chainsaw tomorrow.

Low of 39.6*F this morning. Crisp.

Might have our first 90+ high this week, so the cool temps won’t last long.

Decent storm blew through here. Outflow winds were around 35-40mph, followed by ~ 50mph inside the rain core itself. Wind was pretty long lasting too..went on for a solid 10 minutes. Not much close lightning, but lots of distant thunder..like a constant rumble.

High of 88*F occurred about an hour before the arrival of the storms, which popped up individually but subsequently congealed and cold-pooled into the high CAPE/low shear environment.

Gonna be a wet night. Rain with imbedded thunderstorms will dump 1-3” between 10pm and 10AM, with localized jackpots to 4”, according to LWX.

fIH3C6F.png

Gonna be a wet night. Rain with imbedded thunderstorms will dump 1-3” between 10pm and 10AM, with localized jackpots to 4”, according to LWX.fIH3C6F.png

never got the thunderstorms which is likey the reason the very high end rain tottels has fallen sorter then forecasted it has turned out to be an prolonged light to moderate rain marine layer cool event which we are more use to seeing here in the spring I suspect that negative nao block is doing its dirty work .funny how all winter we could not by a -nao now in may we get an all out strong one :lol:

Had some thunder here last night, but yeah nothing intense and no heavy downpours. Mostly a steady, moderate rain.

About an inch here so far. Still coming down steadily though, maybe we can reach 1.5”.

• Like 1

Had some thunder here last night, but yeah nothing intense and no heavy downpours. Mostly a steady, moderate rain.

About an inch here so far. Still coming down steadily though, maybe we can reach 1.5”.

that - nao is pretty impressive right now its like a rubberband snap after the months and months on end of the Positive nao.something has certainly swich and it could well have a play in with the narrow Hadley cells.
  • Like 1

Downpours on and off this afternoon ahead of the cold front and pattern change.

Dewpoint is 70*F currently. Swampy.

Nice cooldown coming this week. Lots of N/NE flow and stratiform rain, highs in the 50s, lows in the 40s some nights...850mb temperatures might even drop below zero midweek. Reminds me of May 2016.

Just picked up ~ 0.6” of rain in 15 minutes, with the latest downpour. Just enough to turn our backyard walkway into a small creek.

Still raining, but not quite as hard. Some thunder and lightning as well.

• 2 weeks later...

First legitimately nasty day of the summer.

91/75, heat index 102. Storms firing up along the ridgetops..hopefully they propagate down here.

Two 90+ days in a row here followed by a cold front, and not a single storm to show for it. Weak sauce.

The next 2 days look nice. Then the soup returns.

Two 90+ days in a row here followed by a cold front, and not a single storm to show for it. Weak sauce.

The next 2 days look nice. Then the soup returns.

we use to do well with thunderstorms it's been its seems like after 2012 mother nature has went into an sleeping mode around here storm wise.I am a bit confused by it in a way as normally solar mins are some of our most active periolds this has been an strange solar min so far not sure what it means just yet down the road.
  • Like 1

Enhanced risk for northern areas tomorrow. I’m in the slight risk, so close to the enhanced zone. Hoping for an overperformer.

• Like 1

We got a good one here..heavy gusts..deep thundering roar, heavy rain, etc. But downtown DC got mashed even harder. Swath of 70mph winds blasted right through there.

Hopefully one of these days the big core will strike here. Feels like it’s going to happen sooner rather than later given the odd luck we’ve had in recent years.

We got a good one here..heavy gusts..deep thundering roar, heavy rain, etc. But downtown DC got mashed even harder. Swath of 70mph winds blasted right through there.

Hopefully one of these days the big core will strike here. Feels like it’s going to happen sooner rather than later given the odd luck we’ve had in recent years.

yeah that was an impressive bow line that moved through with the possable tornados that were in the noched part of the line.one of those c shape noches hit Howard county which is one of the tornado suspect locations.
  • Like 1

It's been one crazy assed spring !

More to come I'm sure. Our lake is almost tipping over the spillway. They've opened the flood gates to go down river but If we get more rain.....it'll tip.

So boys? How's the US summer going to size up ?

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

The storms last night track just north of me another batch went just south of Dc but did make for quite a light show for an hour or so.Another round of strong thunderstorms possable this afternoon and tonight also LWX seems to be very bulless on tuesday.lwx put a specal wording out for todays threat most likey because of the cook outs and festivitys going on today don't want people to be fooled about the current calm nice weather as things could change quite quickly.