1/11 - 1/12 Southern Midwest Snowstorm

Tom

Right now the northward progress of the snow is well ahead of the 18z HRRR. To remove the dry air factor, I used composite reflectivity on the HRRR. I did NOT use composite on DMX or OAX due to high beam height.

yep- I noticed the same thing. Has been snowing in S.IA for over an hour. About 1-2 hours ahead of some early afternoon runs or HRRR/RAP.  You can also see the 21Z RAP really juiced that ended a 3-5 run dwindling drought. This thing might just go to the global models.

• Like 4

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

yep- I noticed the same thing. Has been snowing in S.IA for over an hour. About 1-2 hours ahead of some early afternoon runs or HRRR/RAP. You can also see the 21Z RAP really juiced that ended a 3-5 run dwindling drought. This thing might just go to the global models.

Wow yea, massive shift on the 21z RAP. CR(Hawkeye) would be in the 3-4” while I’d be 2-3”.

• Like 1

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

22z HRRR up to 5” for Iowa City. Doesn’t show snow starting until after 9 tonight

Which is wayyy earlier than it had been. Some models didn’t start snow in CR/IC until after 3am.

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

Yeah OMA has temp/dep spread of 10F-- going to take some time for that to saturate. where council bluffs is just 2F.

That's weird considering KOMA is literally immediately across the river from Council Bluffs. One of those is reporting bad data. Or both

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

00z HRRR dried out a bit vs the previous few runs, storm total is about 0.20" in Cedar Rapids.  It's going to take several hours for the snow to move only a few counties north.

00z NAM has about 0.30", an increase from last couple runs.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"