Update: Earth’s Moon Will Turn Orange In Total Eclipse Across the Americas Jan. 20-21

January 16, 2019

Astronomy.com reports that our Earth Moon will begin entering the Earth’s penumbra shadow in this New Year’s first Full Moon at 10:33 PM Eastern / 7:33 PM Pacific on Sunday evening, January 20, 2019. “The shadow appears dusky gray at first, but as more of the Full Moon sinks into the Earth’s shadow, it should take on a distinctly orange color. The orange comes from sunlight refracted and scattered through Earth’s atmosphere.” That eerie, haunting color change to deep orange should be most intense during totality, which lasts from 11:41 PM to 12:43 AM Eastern / 8:41 PM to 9:43 PM Pacific. The eclipse maps show that everyone in North America to South America will be able to watch the entire lunar eclipse wherever there are clear skies.

It’s called a “super blood wolf moon” since this full moon will look about 10% bigger than it usually does. These “Super Moons” happen because the moon’s orbit is an ellipse, not a perfect circle. It’s distance from Earth can vary by about 10% as it travels around in its elliptical orbit.

Further, this is the first full moon of this New Year 2019. In olden times, some people have called the New Year’s first full moon a “wolf moon.” According to the Old Farmer’s Almanac, full moon names have come from the Algonquin North Americans. The Algonquin’s thought that naming full moons would give the intent of the named active energy to each month. And the word “blood” refers to the deep red-orange color that total lunar eclipses can become.

IMG_3523.JPG

IMG_3524.JPG

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last nights super blood moon gave photographers a great chance to grab some images.

Check these out.

https://www.space.com/43074-super-blood-wolf-moon-2019-eclipse-skywatcher-photos.html

IMG_3526.JPG

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

I'll be here to view it too!! :D

These are just so beautiful though. Gorgeous eerie color.