Jan 27th-29th Strong Hybrid Clipper

Tom

Who's ready for some more Snow???  Giddy up folks, Ol' Man Winter's Fury is not letting go as the models are showing some pretty remarkable run to run consistency that a rather potent hybrid Clipper to traverse the MW/GL's region late this weekend into the early part of next week.

Let's dive in and discuss...

First off, the 00z EPS/Control are in very good agreement that a slow, pivoting and strengthening system is to take an ideal track to lay down a potential significant snowfall for areas across the MW/Lower GL's region.  00z GEFS showing some monster hits.

• Like 3

Who's ready for some more Snow???  Giddy up folks, Ol' Man Winter's Fury is not letting go as the models are showing some pretty remarkable run to run consistency that a rather potent hybrid Clipper to traverse the MW/GL's region late this weekend into the early part of next week.

Let's dive in and discuss...

First off, the 00z EPS/Control are in very good agreement that a slow, pivoting and strengthening system is to take an ideal track to lay down a potential significant snowfall for areas across the MW/Lower GL's region.  00z GEFS showing some monster hits.

Its looking wild. This forecast reminds me of 2013-14' where we had frigid snowstorms. Speaking of frigid, my temps next week look insane w highs and lows.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

One thing going for this clipper-esque system is that it is sort of hybridized and has a connection to the gulf. The extra moisture coupled with extremely cold airmass on the cold/NE side of the system should allow for very good ratios, and perhaps over a foot of snow for someone if things come together right with the extra QPF coming from gulf moisture. The 12z GFS and FV3 don't have nearly as good of a moisture connection as it looks like the Euro does. It still has it, but doesn't connect to the gulf until later and isn't nearly as robust. Here is the GFS below.

925rh.conus.png

• Like 1

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

That’s about where the 00z Euro had it in IA...the Hr144 map is prob 2 systems combined as it skirts the Lower Lakes.

• Like 1

One thing going for this clipper-esque system is that it is sort of hybridized and has a connection to the gulf. The extra moisture coupled with extremely cold airmass on the cold/NE side of the system should allow for very good ratios, and perhaps over a foot of snow for someone if things come together right with the extra QPF coming from gulf moisture.

Clippers that tap into GOM moisture can lay down some serious snows. This one is gonna be fun tracking.

Yes, and as was stated its more of a hybrid system not a true clipper.

500hv.conus.png

Still, have these “hybrid” clipper ever produced that much snow over such a wide area? I’m guessing people have seen 10+ in isolated areas from these hybrids, but that wide of a swath of heavy snows seems like a bit much. I’m sure someone will see some impressive snows, no doubt. Just not convinced it’ll be such a wide area seeing it. We shall see.

Still, have these “hybrid” clipper ever produced that much snow over such a wide area? I’m guessing people have seen 10+ in isolated areas from these hybrids, but that wide of a swath of heavy snows seems like a bit much. I’m sure someone will see some impressive snows, no doubt. Just not convinced it’ll be such a wide area seeing it. We shall see.

They have produced impressive snows in the past yes.  They tend to be very efficient snow producers.  Obviously still a long ways out with this one however

I definitely recall some pretty hefty "hybrid clippers".  A stated ratios are usually pretty impressive and the bands can drop some very heavy rates.  They are a lot of fun.  Might actually be my favorite type of snow producer if you are lucky enough to be in it's crosshairs.  

Has a clipper ever produced that much snow before?

No offense, but that’s not exactly what I was talking about.

Jan 2005's similar hybrid clipper was a legit bliz for SMI dropping 12-14" across SMI, even for Detroit. It was likely the last true bliz for Detroit proper. Iirc DTW scored 12.2" while Kalamazoo reported the 14" total. It can happen and that system was very similar to what models are showing. Just don't like my luck this winter. Bad to be in the bullseye. This has been the year of storms north and storms south, aside from the 2 systems 2 months between. 

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

As mentioned above, the more west/south it digs, the better for Iowa certainly.  That's what last night's euro did, allowing gulf moisture to be pulled in as it turned east.  If the snow band simply dives in from the nw it won't be quite as moist.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"