Polite Politics

Rubus Leucodermis

1 hour ago, roadtonowhere08 said:

I think 2022 was that.  Looking at the chart below, we are currently on the line of best fit and will most likely see a slow build up from here into the next bull market.  I do not see it going down to the recent lows barring some catastrophic COVID scale event.

image.thumb.png.68eff336407da7062e1ad396df64d946.png

Wouldn't a major war, if it happens tank the market? Some say if only 1 nuke is dropped somewhere there would be a major crash. 

Will this be the one that does it?

I got an email last year from the parent of a prospective student really upset that one of her young kids was being taught that she as a “White” (upper case “W”) person was part of the oppressor class. As such, the girl needed to admit to her “White privilege” and unacknowledged racism and how she inherently discriminates against people of color, even if she believes she doesn’t. The kid, whose family every year at home celebrates MLK Day, was completely flummoxed by the whole thing. The class of fifth graders was being urged to write letters to the Cleveland Indians organization to change the team’s name, and they live in Illinois—about eight hours from Cleveland.

Critical Race Theory: Myths, Marxism, and More

17 hours ago, Sparky said:

But Mr. Einstein, I have a feeling that you reported me in 2021 and again this year. But that's fine, and you could also just block me or let it go in one ear and out the other. 😀

BTW, I only called you Einstein because I know that that used to be part of your name here. It is not meant in a degrading way at all! 

Never reported you either.

Only person I've ever reported was snow wizard once and that was very recent.  Only reason I did was because I got mod restricted after calling him an @sshole after one of his statements on trans people who he thinks apparently don't exist.  That guy is an "admin", no less, and it was *me* who got punished for calling out his *******-ness.  That says it all.

I'm fine with a no-@sshole policy. What I didn't like was the inconsistency of the moderating of content.

https://wapo.st/3ysWhlb

It now looks as if Ukraine and its Western allies were probably behind the pipeline sabotage in some fashion. This is still an anonymous tip (and Hersh's claimed story still has huge holes in it), so the details really aren't very clear, and are likely to change as more information leaks out, but the fact that someone was willing to contact the Post and speak off-record about it means that there will probably be other leaks in the near future. In fact, there probably already have been other leaks; my guess is that this is merely the best and most reliable such one, and that it came after others is what prompted the Post to run this story.

And this would be how actual government conspiracies work: they don't stay secret indefinitely. Usually within a year or two, the truth starts leaking out.

• Popcorn 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

Things are getting quite messy with Russia, China, and North Korea…Hopefully we can get through this volatile time without a massive WWIII outbreak and or the world being blown to bits…

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

20 hours ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

Never reported you either.

Only person I've ever reported was snow wizard once and that was very recent.  Only reason I did was because I got mod restricted after calling him an @sshole after one of his statements on trans people who he thinks apparently don't exist.  That guy is an "admin", no less, and it was *me* who got punished for calling out his *******-ness.  That says it all.

I'm fine with a no-@sshole policy. What I didn't like was the inconsistency of the moderating of content.

Don't know exactly what he said, but calling it gender dysphoria, like they used to call it, rather than being required to assert that a trans woman is a woman or else be called a bigot goes a little too far.

Mods are allowed to be conservative, last time I checked.

Things like biological males competing in women's sports and setting new records makes other people uncomfortable. Even a liberal Hollywood actress who is pro-abortion complained about women being called birthing persons, and was called transphobic for that.

Anyway, this one is fun. Will it get the topic deleted?

image.thumb.png.4b0e94bda3d2b822ba4aa4abf7aefe9d.png

image.png.7eb719a5f1a1c55e3154d34099cbe54d.png

1 hour ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

Don't know exactly what he said, but calling it gender dysphoria, like they used to call it, rather than being required to assert that a trans woman is a woman or else be called a bigot goes a little too far.

Mods are allowed to be conservative, last time I checked.

Things like biological males competing in women's sports and setting new records makes other people uncomfortable. Even a liberal Hollywood actress who is pro-abortion complained about women being called birthing persons, and was called transphobic for that.

Anyway, this one is fun. Will it get the topic deleted?

image.thumb.png.4b0e94bda3d2b822ba4aa4abf7aefe9d.png

image.png.7eb719a5f1a1c55e3154d34099cbe54d.png

After sitting silent I will chime in on this one since I am in fact not str8 (I prefer to self-identify as the Q-word, but I bet that will trigger the censorbot).

The same people who think it's just fine for a right-wing Christian baker to refuse business to LGBT clients almost to a last individual think it absolutely intolerable for an antifascist business to refuse business to Trumper clients.

• Like 2

April 30,1992. LA. 

“Cant we all just get along?”

I love Rodney King for speaking up in such clear humble tones.  He impacted my life.  And he was right. 

I know we’re all getting along here. 
I just respect everyone having a different perspective. Agreeing has never been the goal. Understanding perhaps is a higher aim.  
I’ve learn more from people different than me than similar.  Maybe that’s why I hang out here.  
But never mind me….go on. 
I’m listening. 

• Like 4

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

On 3/10/2023 at 9:48 AM, MossMan said:

Things are getting quite messy with Russia, China, and North Korea…Hopefully we can get through this volatile time without a massive WWIII outbreak and or the world being blown to bits…

Well… in 2006’s The Departed, Martin Sheen predicted we’d be at war with the Chinese in 20 years….

• Like 1
  • Storm 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

17 hours ago, Andie said:

April 30,1992. LA. 

“Cant we all just get along?”

I love Rodney King for speaking up in such clear humble tones.  He impacted my life.  And he was right. 

I know we’re all getting along here. 
I just respect everyone having a different perspective. Agreeing has never been the goal. Understanding perhaps is a higher aim.  
I’ve learn more from people different than me than similar.  Maybe that’s why I hang out here.  
But never mind me….go on. 
I’m listening. 

Where’s the fun in that??

• lol 3

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

8 minutes ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

https://wapo.st/3l1Lo71

Meatball Ron might just have a chance.

Well, what if the thing in New York was a sham trial and the evidence was falsified? (Even if there was some, it's not enough!)

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

On 3/10/2023 at 11:12 AM, Rubus Leucodermis said:

After sitting silent I will chime in on this one since I am in fact not str8 (I prefer to self-identify as the Q-word, but I bet that will trigger the censorbot).

The same people who think it's just fine for a right-wing Christian baker to refuse business to LGBT clients almost to a last individual think it absolutely intolerable for an antifascist business to refuse business to Trumper clients.

Anti-fascism is not a religion, so you would not really be forced to act against your beliefs in the same way. That is not to say that Christians should not be against fascism. If a Trumper asked someone to make a cake with a confederate symbol, I can see why somebody would refuse to serve that person. I recently saw a crazy person with a huge Trump 2024 flag in a public area yelling out Bible verses. I could see why a Christian might refuse service to such a person if they do this inside the business. However, if someone simply has a MAGA hat and is not doing anything else bad, I don't think that person should be denied service.

I think many Christian bakers would be willing to serve anything but a wedding cake to an LGBT couple. That applies to other religions too.

It should be OK to disagree with someone's lifestyle, but still respect that person. Approval is not the same as acceptance. You cannot really be "tolerant" unless you disagree with somebody. If I love sunny weather and it's a beautiful sunny day, I am not being tolerant.

My best friend in high school also turned out to be gay, which I did not find out until after I graduated. I was still happy to see him at our reunion.

3 hours ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

I have recently heard that Ron can't run for federal office as long as he's governor according to Florida law. He would first have to resign as governor before he can run or change that law which he could, but he might not want to as that also could ruin his political career like it did for Sara Palin. But of course that would be ok for the left as they are terrified of the orange man! They're already panicking about the J6 video footage Tucker released and they immediately shut him down. Shouldn't be anything to panic about if there's nothing incriminating. 

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

I have recently heard that Ron can't run for federal office as long as he's governor according to Florida law. He would first have to resign as governor before he can run or change that law which he could, but he might not want to as that also could ruin his political career like it did for Sara Palin. But of course that would be ok for the left as they are terrified of the orange man! They're already panicking about the J6 video footage Tucker released and they immediately shut him down. Shouldn't be anything to panic about if there's nothing incriminating. 

Also, I think the conditions are better for DeSantis for 2028 because if Trump wins 2024, he can't run for POTUS anymore.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sparky said:

Yeah because Tucker Carlson is a shining example of integrity and honest journalism.  🙄

He has single-handedly highlighted the lemming mentality of the MAGA "faithful"  A bunch of d*mn sheep!  BAAA-f*ckin-BAAA!!  🐑

I think the problem is the hypocrisy has gotten so egregious that its reached a level that is beyond comprehension.  I'll go ahead and do you a solid and give you some sound advice....if they offer you kool-aid, don't drink it.  😉

Oh and having to resign as governor is not what ruined Sarah Palin's career...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Iceresistance said:

Also, I think the conditions are better for DeSantis for 2028 because if Trump wins 2024, he can't run for POTUS anymore.

Don't be naive.  There was a time when Russia had term limits but Putin took care of that REAL quick.  We are sadly getting enough MTG, Boebert, Gaetz type wingnuts in office, not to mention the SC, its not too far of a stretch for Trump to do the same.  The biggest problem for Trump being able to see it through is his age and his health.  At some point his heart is going to explode from all of those Big Mac's and Diet Cokes!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

Anti-fascism is not a religion...

Anything can be a "religion" if you are unwilling to question your "truths" and values.  Just look at hardcore atheists.  Just as drunk on Kool Aid as the hardcore religious nuts.  Same brain dysfunction.  That's why Bill Maher is not as detached from the people he mocks as he likes to think he is.

And then there's MAGA.  A religion if I ever saw one.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, roadtonowhere08 said:

Anything can be a "religion" if you are unwilling to question your "truths" and values.  Just look at hardcore atheists.  Just as drunk on Kool Aid as the hardcore religious nuts.  Same brain dysfunction.  That's why Bill Maher is not as detached from the people he mocks as he likes to think he is.

And then there's MAGA.  A religion if I ever saw one.

Don't want to get into a religious debate, but the basic idea of any religion is that your beliefs and actions have consequences either in this life or more likely the afterlife. Secular people don't believe in an afterlife.

Some on the left seem to believe that in addition to all people being equal, all religions, philosophies, or belief systems are equal, and therefore there is no absolute truth, especially in regards to morality. That makes no sense when they are constantly criticizing those whom they disagree with. Also aren't they absolutely sure there is no absolute truth? 

Also with the traditional definition of marriage being changed (used to be a union between a man and a woman), how much longer until we allow it to be a man and two women, two men and a woman, etc.

11 hours ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Don't be naive.  There was a time when Russia had term limits but Putin took care of that REAL quick.  We are sadly getting enough MTG, Boebert, Gaetz type wingnuts in office, not to mention the SC, its not too far of a stretch for Trump to do the same.  The biggest problem for Trump being able to see it through is his age and his health.  At some point his heart is going to explode from all of those Big Mac's and Diet Cokes!

No, I'm being honest. The reason why there is a 2-term limit is from FDR's 4 terms!

(Well, for WW2 and getting out of the Great Depression, he deserved them, but sadly dying before WW2 ended.)

They’re finally ‘fessing’ up that this was a lab leak.  Be it accidental or intentional, it still pisses me off
I feel like we were all Guinea pigs. 

• Sick 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

3 hours ago, Andie said:

They’re finally ‘fessing’ up that this was a lab leak.  Be it accidental or intentional, it still pisses me off
I feel like we were all Guinea pigs. 

Here's what I cannot understand from the beginning: aside from political theater does the origin really matter?  Whether it was from a lab (increasingly likely) or a market the following facts still remain:

1. China is never forthcoming on anything

2. There are food markets of very questionable standards all over China

3. There are virus research labs across China

4. The virus was zoonotic

5. It was not a result of malicious intent either way.  Somebody either ingested it or accidentally infected themselves while working in the lab.

Why are people so unbelievably hung up on the origin?  The food markets are not going away.  The virus labs are not going away.  Aside from pushing for higher standards in markets and labs, what difference does it make?

9 hours ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

Don't want to get into a religious debate, but the basic idea of any religion is that your beliefs and actions have consequences either in this life or more likely the afterlife. Secular people don't believe in an afterlife.

Some on the left seem to believe that in addition to all people being equal, all religions, philosophies, or belief systems are equal, and therefore there is no absolute truth, especially in regards to morality. That makes no sense when they are constantly criticizing those whom they disagree with. Also aren't they absolutely sure there is no absolute truth? 

Also with the traditional definition of marriage being changed (used to be a union between a man and a woman), how much longer until we allow it to be a man and two women, two men and a woman, etc.

Don't be so sure that all secular people do not believe in an afterlife.  Spirituality is a very individual concept.

Also, let's not romanticize marriage.  It was originally about property and money.  Love was never part of the equation.  If two gay people want to spend a lot of money on a wedding and have a 50% chance of spending more money on divorce, who am I to deprive them?  Misery loves company 😆

• Like 2

On 3/11/2023 at 10:25 AM, SnarkyGoblin said:

“Oh boy, we’ve got Trump now” (for about the 32,767th time, but trust me, they really mean it this time).

No, they don’t.

They are too chickensh*t to indict him.

Johnson wasn’t held accountable for lying his way into Vietnam.

Nixon wasn’t held accountable for Watergate or for illegally dragging Cambodia into the Vietnam War.

Reagan wasn’t held accountable for Iran-Contra.

Clinton wasn’t held accountable for perjury.

Bush II wasn’t held accountable for lying his way into Iraq and violating both treaties and the US Constitution by ordering prisoners to be tortured.

This is the USA we are talking about. Presidents are not held accountable for anything, ever.

Trump won't be, either.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

“Oh boy, we’ve got Trump now” (for about the 32,767th time, but trust me, they really mean it this time).

No, they don’t.

Nixon wasn’t held accountable for Watergate or for illegally dragging Cambodia into the Vietnam War.

Bush II wasn’t held accountable for lying his way into Iraq and violating both treaties and the US Constitution by ordering prisoners to be tortured.

This is the USA we are talking about. Presidents are not held accountable for anything, ever.

Trump won't be, either.

Equality under the law

• lol 2

We’ll, someone deleted the Ukraine thread so I’ll post this here. 
Nearly 40 Oligarchs have mysteriously died.  Just happens they opposed the war. 
Granted all news out of Russia is suspect, I think this is likely accurate. 
Also, you won’t hear this in US news. 

https://www.the-sun.com/news/7603864/putin-killing-russian-elite-mob-boss/

I guess this is one way to gain consensus. 

19 hours ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

No, they don’t.

Trump won't be, either.

#BanPrezPardons

Look, I thought Mueller was going to be more definitive on the indictment thing.  I will believe until the day I die that trump sought political advantages via the Russian government through proxies, etc.

The biggest change I've seen that tells me today might be different is public opinion towards Trump by the "generally conservative" people - they want him to go away.  You see it in polls and in the conservative media circles.

IMO, the only shot is for everyone to rally around an alternative *early*.  I hear Tim Scott (R) might throw his hat in the ring.  Too many options will be to trump's advantage.  He wants people to announce their candidacy.

And you can D**n well be sure if he does lose, he will call the GOP nomination rigged.  And he would fight it out during the GOP National Convention - "Reap what they Sow" could be a headline in Milwaukee.

49 minutes ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

IMO, the only shot is for everyone to rally around an alternative *early*.  I hear Tim Scott (R) might throw his hat in the ring.  Too many options will be to trump's advantage.  He wants people to announce their candidacy.

Trump basically has the GOP nomination in the bag.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-primary-r/2024/national/

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2024/president/us/2024_republican_presidential_nomination-7548.html

• Sick 1