Polite Politics

Rubus Leucodermis

Hey, Mr. Marine Layer.  
I started out lefty. My mother forced me to right hand.   Hated it.   
Still a righty, but I use my left with almost equal ability.   
Parents….!! 😤

• Sad 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

59 minutes ago, Andie said:

Hey, Mr. Marine Layer.  
Parents….!! 😤

Your parents made you Ambidextrous.

• Like 1

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

1 hour ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

For which you can thank political progressives. Had you been born earlier, there is a very good chance those with power over you would have tried to beat it out of you. Left handedness was considered a degeneracy and a threat to society, much like being gay or lesbian was as recently as 25 years ago, and much like being born trans is today.

For Left-Handed purposes, that is simply because we did not understand left-handed capabilities back then and now we do. Being a Lefty also helps you in boxing, I saw a documentary that left-handed boxers generally have a higher chance to win a match against a right-hander because their perspective can cause a right-hander to miscalculate.

2 hours ago, Andie said:

Hey, Mr. Marine Layer.  
Parents….!! 😤

Parents shouldn't do that, but in your case it helped you be more efficient. When one hand or arm gets hurt, tired, or sore, just use the other! I wish I could use both equally well for everything! 

• Like 1

It was good to see DeSantis come out with a non-approved opinion about Ukraine. Talk about a war that needs to end. Now Biden is beating the war drums in Syria. 

Edited by SilverFallsAndrew
  • Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

13 hours ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

Hey, I'm left-handed and teachers never punished me.

But sorry about those horrible offensive traditional values like there are only 2 genders and a marriage should be between a man and a woman, something that a majority of people still believed in the year 2000.

And today the statement “all men are created equal . . . endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights.” requires trigger warnings because how dare you suggest that there is a Creator and rights come from God and not the government, or that true freedom requires personal responsibility and a moral and religious people (in the words of John Adams).

Instead we much teach that your freedom of religion is a threat to my hedonistic lifestyle and ensure that all children are educated with leftist values from preschool onward, and that America is the most irredeemably racist country in the history of the world and that YOU are the problem if your skin color is white.

HOLY F*CK MAN ENOUGH OF THE STRAWMAN.  THAT'S LITERALLY ALL YOU DO ON HERE.

• Weenie 1

59 minutes ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

HOLY F*CK MAN ENOUGH OF THE STRAWMAN.  THAT'S LITERALLY ALL YOU DO ON HERE.

Hmm.

Screenshot_20230325_125648_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.4fb9cf4307c3c4c7ff210bd3e09ffec2.jpg

So am I making assumptions about people on the left that are a little too extreme? Yes, maybe a little more than I should. 

But his post that parents are torturing their children by teaching traditional values and spanking them sometimes is a bit extreme. I survived lots of spankings as a child without any emotional damage. Whatever happened to "Spare the rod, spoil the child"?

And CRT, the religion of the radical left, is full of strawman arguments like "All conservatives are racist" or "All white people are racist"

Maybe schools should stop teaching any philosophical values, conservative or liberal, and go back to simple reading, writing and arithmetic. That way no one is forcing their beliefs on anyone else. 

• Troll 1

2 hours ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

Hmm.

Screenshot_20230325_125648_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.4fb9cf4307c3c4c7ff210bd3e09ffec2.jpg

So am I making assumptions about people on the left that are a little too extreme? Yes, maybe a little more than I should. 

But his post that parents are torturing their children by teaching traditional values and spanking them sometimes is a bit extreme. I survived lots of spankings as a child without any emotional damage. Whatever happened to "Spare the rod, spoil the child"?

And CRT, the religion of the radical left, is full of strawman arguments like "All conservatives are racist" or "All white people are racist"

Maybe schools should stop teaching any philosophical values, conservative or liberal, and go back to simple reading, writing and arithmetic. That way no one is forcing their beliefs on anyone else. 

Home school your children and they'll probably be smarter and better off in the long run. Especially if they have a teachers with rainbow hair making videos on TikTok! Homeschooling is actually becoming pretty popular. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Home school your children and they'll probably be smarter and better off in the long run. Especially if they have teachers with rainbow hair making videos on TikTok! Homeschooling is actually becoming pretty popular. 

Being a homeschooler myself, I loved it! Helped me with the years that I could not be at school, that was back in 2014-2017.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Home school your children and they'll probably be smarter and better off in the long run. Especially if they have a teachers with rainbow hair making videos on TikTok! Homeschooling is actually becoming pretty popular. 

Based on my wife's experience with kids who are homeschooled (she's a public grade school teacher), some of the of the students who initially get homeschooled end up in public schools and they are in bad shape with their education relative to the general student population.

I'm sure there are capable parents able to teach their kids properly, but I would say it's an exception not the rule.

20 minutes ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

Based on my wife's experience with kids who are homeschooled (she's a public grade school teacher), some of the of the students who initially get homeschooled end up in public schools and they are in bad shape with their education relative to the general student population.

I'm sure there are capable parents able to teach their kids properly, but I would say it's an exception not the rule.

Maybe part of the reason those are in worse shape is because parents didn't have time to teach them properly or those students had learning difficulties to start with so they decided differently, or who knows. 

Switching dominant hand forces a child to retrain their dominant hand and Lefties are Right brain dominant.  Switching forced me to retrain against my wiring and in my humble opinion, it messed things up.  
As I’ve grown older I find it interfering  with my left/right brain working smoothly. So there are glitches as they say.  As an artist I’m sure it affected my creativity.  
As an engineer it helped. 
Maddening!.  

• Like 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

On another subject France is rioting over raising their retirement age from 62.  Everyone else in Europe and USA are higher.   
Mon Dieu !!!

47798915-2E31-4730-A1D0-46715A611BDB.webp

5 hours ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

Hmm.

You are always creating arguments that literally no one is saying except in the bowels of your internet history. 

Even this response is full of strawman.  What person actually teaching CRT properly has ever said that "all conservatives are racist"? And even if you can find one, the VAST MAJORITY of people who support the concepts of critical race theory don't think that every conservative is racist. You make stuff up, with zero sources, to present the other side as insane.

it's becoming unbearable.

Time to rile up the yokels:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/03/21/trump-rally-waco-texas-history-raid-on-branch-davidian-compound/11510179002/

"Former President Donald Trump – launching his bid to return to the White House even as he rallies supporters to protest against an arrest he claims is impending –  chose an auspicious location for one of his earliest rallies for the 2024 election: the city of Waco, Texas. 

The rally, planned for Saturday, will fall during the 30th anniversary of the siege of the Branch Davidian compound in Waco. Federal agents, aiming to arrest cult leader David Koresh, surrounded his walled compound in an armed standoff that lasted more than a month. It ended in a botched raid that left 76 people, including 25 children, dead."

39 minutes ago, roadtonowhere08 said:

Sounds like you never been there.

I have most of my family over there.  Probably been there a dozen times in my life 

One random thing that struck me when I was younger was how the cashiers in supermarkets all sit while working.

With all the mandatory vacation time they get, they should be fine to add anothe 2 years.  My uncle told me before be retired from Air France that by end of his career, he was off more days than on if you included weekends.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

You are always creating arguments that literally no one is saying except in the bowels of your internet history. 

Even this response is full of strawman.  What person actually teaching CRT properly has ever said that "all conservatives are racist"? And even if you can find one, the VAST MAJORITY of people who support the concepts of critical race theory don't think that every conservative is racist. You make stuff up, with zero sources, to present the other side as insane.

it's becoming unbearable.

I've shown my sources before. One is Robin DiAngelo

I would define racism as, “Feelings / attitudes of dislike or hatred towards a particular group of people based on their ethnicity / skin color.” I think most people mean something similar to that when they use the terms “racism” or “racist.” I have noticed, though, that another definition of racism is increasingly being used in the Black Lives Matter, and similar, movements. In her 2018 book White Fragility, Robin DiAngelo defines racism as, “a deeply embedded historical system of institutional power.” (page 24)

According to DiAngelo, a racist is someone who participates, even unknowingly, in the deeply embedded historical system of institutional power.

https://www.gotquestions.blog/definition-of-racism.html

But that's one of those unreliable right-wing sites, so maybe something like All Sides is more reliable

Liberals hold the perspective that many fundamental societal structures are built on systemic racism, meaning some groups have more power than others.

From this perspective, liberals define racism as linked to power and often hold the view that disadvantaged groups cannot be racist toward groups that have power. Conservatives generally disagree with that. For example, they would argue that views about another race's inferiority coming from one racial group toward another can be labeled as "racist" whether or not the targeted race is the majority or the minority in that country.

https://www.allsides.com/translator/racism-racist

So they basically believe that if you don't do everything you can to fight against the current system, you are a racist.

Thomas Sowell  - "The word racism is like ketchup. It can be put on practically anything and demanding evidence makes you a 'racist.'"

And today some schools are separating white and black students into groups and telling the white people that they are oppressors and the black students that they are victims of a system that is rigged against them and does not want them to succeed, or basing their curriculum on things such as the 1619 Project, which even many liberal scholars have refuted.

But maybe it's just time I keep silent about it and resist the temptation to post things here, as no one's minds will be changed anyway, and I'm just probably doing the opposite of that.

23 minutes ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

One last annoyance

Eight Big Reasons Critical Race Theory Is Terrible for Dealing with Racism

Seriously, I don't know any reason why anyone would go through the trouble to make all this stuff up if it's not really true.

Lol! Seriously?  Ignoring the basic facts of eyeballs =$$ and an article like that plays right into the same narrative that haif the country wants to immerse itself in, you can't think of any other reason of someone making sh*t whose wikipedia article starts with this paragraph?

James Stephen Lindsay (born June 8, 1979[1]), known professionally as James A. Lindsay,[2] is an American author, cultural critic, mathematician and conspiracy theorist.[3][4] He is known for the grievance studies affair, in which he, Peter Boghossian and Helen Pluckrose submitted hoax articles to academic journals in 2017 and 2018. Lindsay has written several books including Cynical Theories (2020), which he co-authored with Pluckrose.

2 hours ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

I have most of my family over there.  Probably been there a dozen times in my life 

One random thing that struck me when I was younger was how the cashiers in supermarkets all sit while working.

With all the mandatory vacation time they get, they should be fine to add anothe 2 years.  My uncle told me before be retired from Air France that by end of his career, he was off more days than on if you included weekends.

So you've been there enough to know that prioritizing quality of life over being worked to death is something they value.  For some reason that is viewed by many as lazy.  I view that as evolved.  Nobody ever said on their death bed, "I really wish I worked more hours."

The first time I went to a grocery store in France, I had the same reaction.  My next thought was, "why aren't ours?"  Why stand when it doesn't make a better cashier?  No use getting tired feet for nothing.

Finally, I do not have a totally informed opinion on the retirement age change.  I do share my cynicism with Rubus though about the powers that be taking every D**n benefit they can away for profit.  Your sweeping generalization the sentence before was what caught my attention.  The French are no better or worse at productivity while at work than the U.S.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/most-productive-countries

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

that explains things.

are you living on campus at college?

No, I have severe separation anxiety since I have never experienced living without my grandmother or mother for months on end.

I was homeschooled, come on let the hate flow through you. I'm used to it. 

Edited by SilverFallsAndrew
  • Like 1

Trump is right about one thing. The Ukraine war would have never happened had he been president. 

• Like 2

Quite likely.  

1 hour ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

Not sure if this was directed at me, but why would anyone hate you for that?  I'm guessing that, especially at the beginning, it wasn't your choice.

You’re right. When I was a junior in high school I asked to go to the local public high school and my parents let me. Though they encouraged me to get my GED and start college instead. I wanted to continue playing high school sports though. The high school I went to was small, rural, and basically a waste of time from an academic standpoint though, socially it may have been worth it. I really didn’t want to go to college never having actually attended a formal class in school. 

My parents always made sure I was involved in sports and other community activities, so that they would have social experiences. Which was good, but I was targeted quite a bit by peers, especially in middle school, but I was fairly athletic and lifted weights, so that worked itself out. Probably the biggest area I suffered in socially was that I really struggled in knowing how to have platonic relationships with women. I never really interacted with girls growing up, so once I got older, my only interest in women was from the perspective of whether or not I wanted to date them or not, so I probably missed out on getting to know a lot of really cool people. 

Overall, I feel I benefited from being homeschooled. My situation was a bit unique in that I was educated by my father (My mom was a public school teacher.). I’ve always been grateful for the sacrifices they made for us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reg said:

Why can't modern Americans be like the French and revolt against their government?

There is also a revolt brewing in Israel.

If there’s a second Trump term and Trump targets American democracy like Netanyahu is targeting Israeli democracy, I would not be surprised if they do.

It's called clown range for a reason.