Polite Politics

Rubus Leucodermis

2 hours ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Spent the day aerating and thatching the lawn yesterday.  Looks like we hit 82 yesterday.  I only got the front yard thatched, trying to decide if I'm going to subject myself to another day of sun and heat to do the back yard.  its up to 76 already, so magic 8 ball is leaning towards no.

It is nice to come inside and have the AC!!

Thanks Biden/Trump/AOC/MTG!!!

• lol 1
  • Confused 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

4 hours ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Spent the day aerating and thatching the lawn yesterday.  Looks like we hit 82 yesterday.  I only got the front yard thatched, trying to decide if I'm going to subject myself to another day of sun and heat to do the back yard.  its up to 76 already, so magic 8 ball is leaning towards no.

It is nice to come inside and have the AC!!

Thanks climate change denialists for causing this heat wave.

7 hours ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Well... Abbott is sending them to NY. I don't know how we allow this to happen, it really wouldn't take much to keep 90% of these people out, especially if we worked with Mexico on this, as they are mostly coming from Central America and Mexico doesn't really want them coming through either. We should invest in our hemisphere...

Totally agree.  
Would you run for office?  
The southern border of Mexico is far easier to enforce than southern US. 

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

This describes well why conservatives are feeling the way they do today and also why the "religious right" is fighting back harder than ever before.

https://www.discoursemagazine.com/culture-and-society/2022/04/04/preparing-for-the-challenge-of-a-secular-america/

The numbers have been trending this way for decades and show no sign of slowing down; lack of religious belief is even more pronounced among the young. This explains a lot about the apocalyptic attitude of today’s conservatives. The alarm over “wokeness” and the fear that their ideas are becoming unwelcome in polite society are partly a response to a genuine increase in intolerance and censoriousness. But it is also driven by the fear that religious believers, once a culturally dominant force who could think of themselves as the “moral majority,” are becoming a minority.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Anti Marine Layer said:

This describes well why conservatives are feeling the way they do today and also why the "religious right" is fighting back harder than ever before.

https://www.discoursemagazine.com/culture-and-society/2022/04/04/preparing-for-the-challenge-of-a-secular-america/

The numbers have been trending this way for decades and show no sign of slowing down; lack of religious belief is even more pronounced among the young. This explains a lot about the apocalyptic attitude of today’s conservatives. The alarm over “wokeness” and the fear that their ideas are becoming unwelcome in polite society are partly a response to a genuine increase in intolerance and censoriousness. But it is also driven by the fear that religious believers, once a culturally dominant force who could think of themselves as the “moral majority,” are becoming a minority.

Secularism =/= Wokeism.  You are taking two very different issues and trying to tie them together.  Give it a rest.

1 hour ago, roadtonowhere08 said:

Secularism =/= Wokeism.  You are taking two very different issues and trying to tie them together.  Give it a rest.

Wokeism is secular though (or a subset of secularism, like stratus are a subset of clouds) and it's filling the void as You Gotta Serve Somebody (Bob Dylan)

America was founded on religious principles (e.g. rights come from God and not the government, equal rights vs equal results) and many who came here were fleeing from religious persecution. That's what conservatives are trying to conserve.

And yes Republicans are stupid to try to totally ban abortion if they expect to win, but they should at least ban taxpayer funded abortion.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Anti Marine Layer said:

Wokeism is secular though (or a subset of secularism, like stratus are a subset of clouds) and it's filling the void as You Gotta Serve Somebody (Bob Dylan)

America was founded on religious principles (e.g. rights come from God and not the government, equal rights vs equal results) and many who came here were fleeing from religious persecution. That's what conservatives are trying to conserve.

And yes Republicans are stupid to try to totally ban abortion if they expect to win, but they should at least ban taxpayer funded abortion.

And banning abortion is religious oppression.  That does not mean all religious people believe in banning it.  If your thesis is founded on faulty rhetoric, then there is no point in reading further.

Wokeism is not a religious debate.  It is a handling of a historical systemic oppression debate.

1 hour ago, roadtonowhere08 said:

And banning abortion is religious oppression.  That does not mean all religious people believe in banning it.  If your thesis is founded on faulty rhetoric, then there is no point in reading further.

Wokeism is not a religious debate.  It is a handling of a historical systemic oppression debate.

There are non-religious people against abortion too, however. It's oppression of the fetus as it feels pain during the procedure, which lasts for a couple of minutes if not longer.

Side note: The article was also written by a non-religious person who says today's "anti-racism" movement (antithetical to the civil rights movement through the 1960s) and climate justice are becoming like cults.

10 minutes ago, Anti Marine Layer said:

There are non-religious people against abortion too, however. It's oppression of the fetus as it feels pain during the procedure, which lasts for a couple of minutes if not longer.

Side note: The article was also written by a non-religious person who says today's "anti-racism" movement (antithetical to the civil rights movement through the 1960s) and climate justice are becoming like cults.

Might want to check your facts:

https://www.acog.org/advocacy/facts-are-important/gestational-development-capacity-for-pain

48 minutes ago, Anti Marine Layer said:

How do you know who's telling the truth?

https://www.hli.org/resources/fetal-pain-reason-end-abortion/

Hmmmmm...I keep telling myself to stop feeding the trolls.....but you make it so D**n easy  The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologist vs. a Catholic backed pro-life advocacy group....one is based on scientific research and facts while the other is based on the beliefs of a religious group.

Thank you for playing, please try again.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Well... Abbott is sending them to NY. I don't know how we allow this to happen, it really wouldn't take much to keep 90% of these people out, especially if we worked with Mexico on this, as they are mostly coming from Central America and Mexico doesn't really want them coming through either. We should invest in our hemisphere...

I’m hoping they keep those buses rolling. Imagine spending your life savings, trekking 2500 miles in horrid conditions, and managing to keep your family safe enough to survive. Getting a free bus ride to a locale that will help you get on your feet is actually a good thing.

I’m looking forward to the changes to our melting pot as the demographic shift continues.

8 hours ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Hmmmmm...I keep telling myself to stop feeding the trolls.....but you make it so D**n easy  The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologist vs. a Catholic backed pro-life advocacy group....one is based on scientific research and facts while the other is based on the beliefs of a religious group.

Thank you for playing, please try again.

Both are advocacy groups. The first one even had "advocacy" in their URL. Even the first one said pain after 24 weeks though, which is in the 3rd trimester. Our Governor Gruesome, however, passed a law allowing abortion up to birth. 

Since the pandemic, however, I've lost trust in the medical industry. The baby killing business will say whatever they want to make lots of money. I learned enough after one person needed a heart transplant after the vaccine and another one lost their baby. However they will continue to say it's "safe and effective", even though it does not stop the virus from spreading. 

And as John Lennon's famous song says "I'm not the only one"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, iFred said:

I’m hoping they keep those buses rolling. Imagine spending your life savings, trekking 2500 miles in horrid conditions, and managing to keep your family safe enough to survive. Getting a free bus ride to a locale that will help you get on your feet is actually a good thing.

I’m looking forward to the changes to our melting pot as the demographic shift continues.

The problem with your persona is that I never know when you're actually serious.  I don't know you well enough to tell.

Same goes for Dewey.

But I agree 💯 except for the unplanned bus rides.  That could be done better. 

• Like 1

Let's be real. A lot of people don't like immigrants because they think everything should just be handed to them because they were born white in America. So while they get obese playing video games, eating fast food, and popping opioids, they lash out at people actually willing to work. \ 

• Like 3

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

3 hours ago, Anti Marine Layer said:

Since the pandemic, however, I've lost trust in the medical industry. The baby killing business will say whatever they want to make lots of money. I learned enough after one person needed a heart transplant after the vaccine and another one lost their baby. However they will continue to say it's "safe and effective", even though it does not stop the virus from spreading. 

Way too much to unpack in the entire post, but I'm curious about the COVID stuff.

1.) Do you not take the flu virus for the same reason? New vaccine every single year and you don't hear anyone talking about fearing for their lives or baby or .

2.) Do you think every medication approved is 100% safe with absolutely no side effects?  Get real.  Assuming your anonymous anecdotes are true (debatable) and that there was a line that could be drawn between the vaccine and [insert horrible side effect], what would be what percentage?  A very very small one vs. the effects on the population not having the vaccine at all.  Think about what the alternative would be ala winter 2020.

3.) "Effective" - again, look at the flu vaccine.  You can still get the flu even if you have the vaccine.  That's not a valid reason not to get the vaccine.

4 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Let's be real. A lot of people don't like immigrants because they think everything should just be handed to them because they were born white in America. So while they get obese playing video games, eating fast food, and popping opioids, they lash out at people actually willing to work. \ 

Your politics are interesting. 

This is why we need more than 2 parties.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

Your politics are interesting. 

This is why we need more than 2 parties.

I know. I'm all over the place. 

Don't get me wrong, I think our country should have a border, I believe we need to know who is entering our country, but I know and have worked with so many immigrants, that it really challenged some of my ignorant notions. On the flip side I have come across so many people who feel entitled essentially because they are white. 

Edited by SilverFallsAndrew
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

I know. I'm all over the place. 

Don't get me wrong, I think our country should have a border, I believe we need to know who is entering our country, but I know and have worked with so many immigrants, that it really challenged some of my ignorant notions. On the flip side I have come across so many people who feel entitled essentially because they are white. 

Would you say your views on ethnicity, culture, and race have changed significantly since 2017?

9 hours ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

Way too much to unpack in the entire post, but I'm curious about the COVID stuff.

1.) Do you not take the flu virus for the same reason? New vaccine every single year and you don't hear anyone talking about fearing for their lives or baby or .

2.) Do you think every medication approved is 100% safe with absolutely no side effects?  Get real.  Assuming your anonymous anecdotes are true (debatable) and that there was a line that could be drawn between the vaccine and [insert horrible side effect], what would be what percentage?  A very very small one vs. the effects on the population not having the vaccine at all.  Think about what the alternative would be ala winter 2020.

3.) "Effective" - again, look at the flu vaccine.  You can still get the flu even if you have the vaccine.  That's not a valid reason not to get the vaccine.

I never take the flu vaccine and I haven't got the flu since the 1990s. I've had very bad side effects with some other medications for my epilepsy such as depression and body pain.

I think the vaccine did help the people most vulnerable to COVID, such as senior citizens, but for young people without any health issues the side effects could be more dangerous than the virus. The first case I know was a very healthy young person from our church who ended up in the hospital needing the heart transplant after the 2nd shot. The second case, the woman who lost her baby, was a friend of my brother in Europe. 

It's not just the MAGA people that protested the vaccine mandates. Some doctors and firefighters quit or lost their jobs over them. After being heroes in 2020 they were classified as villains by some people for refusing the vaccine. Black Lives Matter even protested the vaccine mandate in New York. My brother, who is pretty liberal, refused to get it as well and his German wife was not allowed to enter the country without the vaccine until May 12. They just came to visit us now after being held back for 2 years. 

Also the first Omicron wave happened long after the vaccines were out and more people died of COVID under Biden than Trump. Biden also promised not to mandate the vaccines. Even Fauci said the vaccine does not stop the virus from spreading. 

17 hours ago, iFred said:

Would you say your views on ethnicity, culture, and race have changed significantly since 2017?

In some ways. The biggest thing is I was just extremely naïve about a lot of those issues. It's hard to explain, but I just did not understand. I definitely did not understand anti-Black racism, until I started personally seeing people acting out following Trump's election, almost as if they had been empowered. The most eye opening instance was when I had to deal with a situation at work where a white woman had called a Black co-worker the N word because he was late for his shift... And how shockingly unapologetic and justified she felt. I always look at that even as a turning point, I had never seen the ugliness quite like that before, it was one of those things, once you see it you can't unsee it, and then I started noticing the more subtle situations.

Edited by SilverFallsAndrew
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Brooklyn, NY Schools are being told to use their gyms for sheltering migrants. 
parents and residents are up in arms.  
This thing hasn’t been thought out. 
NY is running out of facilities and may have to move people to suburbs.  
So, what’s the plan? 
Texas is already running out of emergency shelters.  
Communities receiving migrants are already being strained for facilities, services and budgets.  This really should have been thought out a lot more.  

• Angry 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

56 minutes ago, Andie said:

Brooklyn, NY Schools are being told to use their gyms for sheltering migrants. 
parents and residents are up in arms.  
This thing hasn’t been thought out. 
NY is running out of facilities and may have to move people to suburbs.  
So, what’s the plan? 
Texas is already running out of emergency shelters.  
Communities receiving migrants are already being strained for facilities, services and budgets.  This really should have been thought out a lot more.  

The Democrats thought that Trump was lying about "America is running our of room for Migrants", and look at this.

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

FYI.  When you tune into Vice TV on cable. 
Soros Fund Management and other investors are buying Vice Media for about $225 million after the media company filed for bankruptcy protection Monday.

• scream 1

1 hour ago, Andie said:

FYI.  When you tune into Vice TV on cable. 
Soros Fund Management and other investors are buying Vice Media for about $225 million after the media company filed for bankruptcy protection Monday.

This is bad, they could turn that into a Left-wing Propaganda news outlet

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

1 hour ago, Iceresistance said:

So its ok for the right to have propaganda news outlets but not for the left?

For the record I think its bad for either the left or the right to have a propaganda news outlet

• Like 1

😄 or Huntley-Brinkley.  
These old school newsmen would faint at all the editorializing.  

6 hours ago, Iceresistance said:

Well, if it’s as slanted as your fear, it will be painfully obvious.