Polite Politics

Rubus Leucodermis

38 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

FxDx6dqWIAEdoWf.thumb.jpeg.9897d1aca517f76dd00a5c11c3270903.jpeg

Very interesting table.  Especially interesting are how close the UK Libs and Cons are on abortion, and then to a lesser extent how close they are on immigration and integrated communities.  I have to admit I am a little surprised at how low the Republican response is on having a different race as a neighbor.  Either they are lying or the conservatives I know are disproportionately racist.  Not saying all Republicans are racist, just saying I would have thought it would have been in line with the response for immigrants as neighbors.

My wife and I have talked about trying to immigrate to the UK, but ultimately we are not in a position to do it, can't afford it, are not refugees, etc.

Who knows, maybe if Trump or DeSantis get elected in 2024 we can seek political asylum. 😆😆😆

3 hours ago, Iceresistance said:

We are now going into the "Decade of Intolerance" with Generation Z becoming also known as the Intolerant Generation.

Maybe Gen Z could be called Generation Zenophobes.
Fear of others not like them😂 ?

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

1 hour ago, Anti Marine Layer said:

If I posted the source, you'd think it was fake, but here it is anyway. 

So the question is "is It real or is it a skit?"

I would imagine it is not a skit but rather a weenie calling the cops on a dumba** with a microphone.  The film crew have a right to be there, but I am sure they were making the same partisan slanted drivel as most of the garbage out there. 

It's all the same: provoke a weenie on the left or a wannabe fascist on the right and then generalize.  Make noise in the echo chamber for clicks.

9 hours ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

So mere ridicule is a form of oppression now?

(And calling the cops on someone goes beyond ridicule. What happened when the cops showed up? Any arrests made, or charges filed?)

If what some people call "hate speech" is oppression, then ridicule is oppression.

And by hate speech, I'm not referring to stuff like, "You're x. You should die", which is true hate speech and is obviously inappropriate and oppressive.

I'm talking about much simpler stuff they categorize as "hate speech" today, like people being offended by the words "master bedroom" because it reminds them of slavery, or "Holiday tree" vs. "Christmas tree", or renaming sports teams like the Washington Redskins and Cleveland Indians.

12 hours ago, Anti Marine Layer said:

If what some people call "hate speech" is oppression, then ridicule is oppression.

And by hate speech, I'm not referring to stuff like, "You're x. You should die", which is true hate speech and is obviously inappropriate and oppressive.

I'm talking about much simpler stuff they categorize as "hate speech" today, like people being offended by the words "master bedroom" because it reminds them of slavery, or "Holiday tree" vs. "Christmas tree", or renaming sports teams like the Washington Redskins and Cleveland Indians.

Easily triggered over the smallest things, perfect definition of an entitled Karen/Kelvin.

Slurs (Especially when used to target people) is hate speech. I was hurled against In the form of racial and condition-related slurs in the past several years, even thogh it has gotten better with the past three. One of the hate hurlers was a white supremacist. I knew it because he was doing what the Germans did during World War II in the form of hate salute. He even threats to me because I have a certain condition. He also had a extremely violent attitude. 

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

19 hours ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

“Exterminate” carries industrial-scale, mass-murder connotations. Nobody is being exterminated. Homeless people here can get medical aid in dying, just like anyone else. That’s all.

If they are dying from any number of reasons they should be given care. If their death is inevitable in the near future, then yes, ease their passage.  
But I’m opposed to assisted suicide as some countries have.
It’s a very complex issue, I know, but death is pretty D**n final.  

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2 hours ago, Andie said:

If they are dying from any number of reasons they should be given care. If their death is inevitable in the near future, then yes, ease their passage.  

My great-grandmother was 92 when she had cancer in her joints. She was taken to the hospital but refused treatment. And the doctors strongly understood why: Age, costs, and she wanted be put out of her misery. 

My late grandfather was 62 when it was discovered he had terminal cancer, and he refused treatment because there was no point extending his suffering and because it was terminal.

• Like 1

I can certainly understand.  My mother  insisted on hospice after a massive stroke on the operating table.  
I know it hard. 💕

On 5/26/2023 at 3:37 PM, Anti Marine Layer said:

If I posted the source, you'd think it was fake, but here it is anyway. 

So the question is "is It real or is it a skit?"

Do you pay for Praeger U content?

Im half tempted to gift you my Washington Post gift subscription.  

4 hours ago, Andie said:

If Trump gets elected it will be over 24 hours after he takes office!  🙄

In all serious though, I have read theories that Putin could try to hang on until '24 and see how the elections go.  If the Republicans take control its a safe to say support for Ukraine will get yanked faster than you can say "Bolshevik" though I'm sure the military lobby will convince the Republicans to change their tune.

On 5/25/2023 at 11:08 PM, roadtonowhere08 said:

Too much wrong with this.  My head exploded.

Anything wrong with this as well?

World population: *8,030,610,062

People born from women: 8,030,610,062

People born from men: 0

Feel free to fact check

*Estimations vary

On 5/25/2023 at 4:19 PM, Chewbacca Defense said:

Regarding the 2 squad members being hypocrites to their own religion, the bible has statements condemning homosexuality as well, yet I have several Christian friends who have no problem with homosexuality, and a few who call themselves Christian and are homosexual.  So are those folks actually not Christians, or are they just hypocritical Christians?  And, are they better or worse than a hypocritical Muslim?  I dated a Jewish girl who could throw down on bacon, sausage, and BBQ pork. I guess she was a hypocrite to Judaism.

No they would not be true Christians, and probably hypocritical Christians as well! A Christian is not some religion or denomination, but someone who is Christlike and tries to to follow Christ's teachings to the best of their ability. Every Christian will have struggles to be Christlike on a daily basis, but God judges by one's effort and ability, if that makes sense. 

BTW, interesting post. 

10 hours ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

If Trump gets elected it will be over 24 hours after he takes office!  🙄

In all serious though, I have read theories that Putin could try to hang on until '24 and see how the elections go.  If the Republicans take control its a safe to say support for Ukraine will get yanked faster than you can say "Bolshevik" though I'm sure the military lobby will convince the Republicans to change their tune.

We’ll, the military does need its justifications.  
The US will be flexing its muscle’s soon enough as China keeps pattolling into SE Asian waters.  That situation could go very poorly.  
For all our sakes, we should get back to commerce and tourism.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stormy said:

No they would not be true Christians, and probably hypocritical Christians as well! A Christian is not some religion or denomination, but someone who is Christlike and tries to to follow Christ's teachings to the best of their ability. Every Christian will have struggles to be Christlike on a daily basis, but God judges by one's effort and ability, if that makes sense. 

BTW, interesting post. 

So are you saying a homosexual can't be a true Christian? Yikes on that one.  I think you're in the extreme minority 

I never understood how anyone could talk about how Jesus loves everyone, blah blah blah and then ultimately believe that most people on this earth are bound to go to the firey depths of hell for eternity.

Like...what a self-centered @sshole of a god if that's true. 

3 hours ago, Stormy said:

BTW, interesting post. 

So basically just a Christian.

• Like 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

I know plenty of both stripes of Christian’s.  
It’s probably best to just follow the basics. Ten Commandments come to mind.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stormy said:

BTW, interesting post. 

Yeah, I hear you that every Christian will have struggles to be christlike and that is a fair statement, but so many christians don't even TRY, or they shoot for their version of christlike, however twisted and perverted it may be.  But what about the teachings of loving thy neighbor, tolerance, forgiveness and all that?  And, I can't tell you how many times I've heard "It's god's will" "It's all part of god's plan" and that who we are and what we do is "because of God"

So its god's plan to give a kid terminal cancer.  It's gods plan to put a child rapist/murderer on this planet with the added bonus that they can be "forgiven" and go to "heaven" by asking for forgiveness. 

Some dude brutally rapes, tortures 50 kids all he has to do is ask for forgiveness and he goes to heaven.  I get repentance and second chances, but I think the problem is that a lot of people don't even try because they know they just have to ask for forgiveness and "it's all good"  And that is pretty much the face of Christianity today.  Show up to church on occasion, wear a cross necklace and you are in the club.

But a dude loves another dude and they are a pariah?  Wouldn't they be part of god's plan as well?

And remember, this is the same religion that says that if a daughter is not a virgin, she should be taken to her father's doorstep and stoned to death.  Have you stoned any slutty daughters lately?  Probably not you hypocrite!

You can't forget Mark 9:43, there should be a lot of people walking around here with only one hand.

Women should not teach, they must remain in quiet submission, that's a gem.  Were all of your teachers male?

Sinners must eat the flesh of their sons and daughters?  bon appetite!

I would strongly disagree that they are not true Christians, or "hypocritical" Christians.  I would argue quite the opposite, that they are the true Christians, who are choosing a path of "loving thy neighbor" and forgiveness instead of casting judgement on others.  Glass houses/stones and all that....

Also, how many millions has the Catholic Church paid out because its priests couldn't keep their hands out of little kids' pants?  And I think most of them were male priests with male kids?

I guess if we went back to chopping off hands and stoning sluts we wouldn't have all of these "fake" Christians running around.

Going back to my friend that I talked about in my previous post and them being "true Christians", that can be carried all they way to the point they were both virgins up until their wedding night.  I know MANY Christians who cannot make that claim, and at least a few of them were actually rather slutty, including this one preacher's daughter.  😉

For me personally, my philosophy has always been "whatever floats your boat is fine with me as long as it doesn't sink mine."  Don't tell me how to live my life or force your views on me and I will offer the same in kind.  I'll admit that there are definitely elements of the current "woke" movement that are causing my boat to "take on water."  But, sticking with the boat metaphor, the whole radical right movement is majorly overwhelming my bilge pumps! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Yeah, I hear you that every Christian will have struggles to be christlike and that is a fair statement, but so many christians don't even TRY, or they shoot for their version of christlike, however twisted and perverted it may be.  But what about the teachings of loving thy neighbor, tolerance, forgiveness and all that?  And, I can't tell you how many times I've heard "It's god's will" "It's all part of god's plan" and that who we are and what we do is "because of God"

So its god's plan to give a kid terminal cancer.  It's gods plan to put a child rapist/murderer on this planet with the added bonus that they can be "forgiven" and go to "heaven" by asking for forgiveness. 

Some dude brutally rapes, tortures 50 kids all he has to do is ask for forgiveness and he goes to heaven.  I get repentance and second chances, but I think the problem is that a lot of people don't even try because they know they just have to ask for forgiveness and "it's all good"  And that is pretty much the face of Christianity today.  Show up to church on occasion, wear a cross necklace and you are in the club.

But a dude loves another dude and they are a pariah?  Wouldn't they be part of god's plan as well?

And remember, this is the same religion that says that if a daughter is not a virgin, she should be taken to her father's doorstep and stoned to death.  Have you stoned any slutty daughters lately?  Probably not you hypocrite!

You can't forget Mark 9:43, there should be a lot of people walking around here with only one hand.

Women should not teach, they must remain in quiet submission, that's a gem.  Were all of your teachers male?

I would strongly disagree that they are not true Christians, or "hypocritical" Christians.  I would argue quite the opposite, that they are the true Christians, who are choosing a path of "loving thy neighbor" and forgiveness instead of casting judgement on others.  Glass houses/stones and all that....

Also, how many millions has the Catholic Church paid out because its priests couldn't keep their hands out of little kids' pants?  And I think most of them were male priests with male kids?

I guess if we went back to chopping off hands and stoning sluts we wouldn't have all of these "fake" Christians running around.

Going back to my friend that I talked about in my previous post and them being "true Christians", that can be carried all they way to the point they were both virgins up until their wedding night.  I know MANY Christians who cannot make that claim, and at least a few of them were actually rather slutty, including this one preacher's daughter.  😉

For me personally, my philosophy has always been "whatever floats your boat is fine with me as long as it doesn't sink mine."  Don't tell me how to live my life or force your views on me and I will offer the same in kind.  I'll admit that there are definitely elements of the current "woke" movement that are causing my boat to "take on water."  But, sticking with the boat metaphor, the whole radical right movement is majorly overwhelming my bilge pumps! 

I'm not Catholic and don't support many of their teachings. In fact my forfathers broke away from the Catholics a few centries ago and were severely persecuted by them including public executions by many different methods. So they immigrated to America from Europe for religious freedom. This is not some made up story and is recorded in the Martyrs Mirror, etc. Just saying. And yes I agree there are many fake so called Christians all over including many ministers! I agree many think they can just ask for forgiveness and all is good, but they need to be truly sorry and repentent and cease from sins. Being a non virgin before marriage is rare in the church I attend. 

BTW,  I attend religious services every Sunday unless sick or whatever. But that doesn't make me a Christian at all!! 

14 hours ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

The thing about the daughter who is not a virgin refers to a situation where she gets engaged to someone and then secretly has sex with someone else before the marriage ceremony. It involves both lying and adultery. It's a bit harsh, but it's part of the old Mosaic law and no longer applies to Christians today (although adultery is still considered to be sinful)

Mark 9:43 is not to be taken literally, of course

People cannot sin intentionally and keep asking for forgiveness because there has to be regret for what they have done and a change of heart. Consider John Newton, for example, who was a slave trader and realized what he was doing was wrong and completely changed his life. He wrote the famous song, "Amazing grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me, I once was lost but now am found, was blind but now I see"

What differentiates Christianity from other religions is that you cannot be saved by keeping the law or doing more good than bad. First it's impossible for anyone to keep the law perfectly. Also being saved by doing more good than bad is like if you get caught for robbery and you tell the police or the jury not to punish you because you've done lots of good things in your life to outweigh the bad thing you just did.

So the only way you can be saved is by believing in Jesus and that He lived a perfect life in your place and died for you to pay for your sins. You are not saved by works, but it also says "faith without works is dead", so a truly converted person will not keep on repeating the same sin intentionally and asking for forgiveness.

Finally, tolerance means accepting people regardless of they behave, not accepting any behavior. You must actually disapprove of something somebody does in order to be tolerant of it. You cannot "tolerate" something you approve of. Saying you believe something is immoral and you don't approve of it, is not intolerant. Loving parents discipline their children because they love them and want to make them better people. Also I do believe some Christians are overly judgmental and it does not give them a good reputation.

• Thanks 1

On 5/27/2023 at 3:03 AM, Andie said:

I think it’s rather simple: does my life belong to me or does it belong to the State?

Why should I be forced to live if I have a terminal condition that means my remaining days will be nothing but suffering?

• Like 2
It's called clown range for a reason.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/28/europe/lukashenko-nuclear-weapons-belarus-russia-intl-hnk/index.html

Belarus President Alexander Lukashenko has claimed that nations who are willing “to join the Union State of Russia and Belarus” will be given nuclear weapons.  “It’s very simple,” he added. “Join the Union State of Belarus and Russia. That’s all: there will be nuclear weapons for everyone.”

I guess it's not just my head that's going to explode 🤯

• scream 2

7 hours ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I think it’s rather simple: does my life belong to me or does it belong to the State?

Why should I be forced to live if I have a terminal condition that means my remaining days will be nothing but suffering?

I’m all for easing a persons death. 
I had to be the firm hand in promoting my mothers death rather than letting the Dr get his way a insert a feeding tube when she was clearly dying - all the way to stating I’d go to a judge to enforce her last will. So yeah, we agree. 

5 hours ago, roadtonowhere08 said:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/28/europe/lukashenko-nuclear-weapons-belarus-russia-intl-hnk/index.html

Belarus President Alexander Lukashenko has claimed that nations who are willing “to join the Union State of Russia and Belarus” will be given nuclear weapons.  “It’s very simple,” he added. “Join the Union State of Belarus and Russia. That’s all: there will be nuclear weapons for everyone.”

How to get on Xi’s wrong side.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, roadtonowhere08 said:

77DC2D0C-FEF8-46BD-95C5-53F24E6D3D41.jpeg

• Excited 2

4 hours ago, Andie said:

I’m all for easing a persons death. 
I had to be the firm hand in promoting my mothers death rather than letting the Dr get his way a insert a feeding tube when she was clearly dying - all the way to stating I’d go to a judge to enforce her last will. So yeah, we agree. 

It was a no-brainer for me. My mother had been VERY explicit about not wanting heroic measures if she was in a clearly terminal condition, to the point of having all sorts of legal paperwork filed and notarized to that effect.

1 hour ago, roadtonowhere08 said:

So what made you change your mind?  I mean there is so much irrefutable evidence already out there, so this must be some goooood sheit 🤔

And if you mention the marine layer, I'll see to it you are banned ;)

Blocking patterns becoming blockier and inversions becoming stronger. 

1 hour ago, roadtonowhere08 said:

We'll see how much this rocks "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" equation.  I'm betting not much.

It’s more like “do not stir up trouble in my backyard.”

My guess is China lets Russia know via a back channel that nuclear proliferation amongst former Soviet republics (many of whom border China) will not be appreciated, and at that point the plan gets quietly shelved and not spoken of again.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Uh-oh, you just mentioned the marine layer!

It's never a marine layer in Oklahoma, it's called an inversion, and it's constantly mentioned during severe weather potential.

4 hours ago, Anti Marine Layer said:

I am starting to be a believer in climate change. 

Considering it’s been flipping back and forth as far back as ice cores can demonstrate I’d say you’re safe in believing.