Polite Politics

Rubus Leucodermis

Spotted this on the House Oversight Committee Twitter  site this morning. 

E42942F4-1B9D-4E72-93CB-1995FFC82017.jpeg

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

2 hours ago, Andie said:

Spotted this on the House Oversight Committee Twitter  site this morning. 

E42942F4-1B9D-4E72-93CB-1995FFC82017.jpeg

Nothing but hot air to appeal to the radicals right....or more accurately, McCarthy has taken the reigns on this because he gave up the goods on the debt ceiling (in the eyes of the radical right) so he's trying to pretend like he still has a spine.

The reality is that it is an active, ongoing investigation, and the FBI knows that anything they hand over will be blasted to the public within seconds, which would then compromise the ongoing investigation.

MTG has already revealed sensitive information in a public setting at least ONCE that I can remember off the top of my head.

I saw in one article that the FBI offered to allow the documents to be viewed in person at the FBI headquarters.

If they were legitimately concerned about the investigation, wouldn't that be enough?  If they were afraid that the FBI would send over doctored/incomplete documents, the FBI could just as easily do the same at the in person review.

The reality is the right wants these documents so that they can parade them before their base.

And....what if there is really no substance to this topic of this investigation?  Then the Right would be able to scream "cover up" and the party of "law and order" and "back the blue" would have more ammunition for their "defund the FBI" campaign.

For the record, from my perspective, if Biden did it, I would fully expect him to be held accountable.  But, I would hope that would only be the beginning, because we all know (or you an idiot if you don't) that MOST of the clowns on BOTH sides of the aisle are lining their pockets.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Lordy, there are tapes:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/31/politics/trump-tape-classified-document-iran-milley/index.html

If this report is accurate (no real reason to doubt it) charges in all likelihood will be filed.

Yes there are....right now, time is the biggest enemy.  These things take a lot of it, and Trump knows it.  Once we get into Primary season, you have the whole issue of law enforcement not wanting to "interfere with an election."  Trump is already compiling a list of who all is involved, and should he win, they would be fired the second he took his and off the bible at this swearing in.  It would probably be in the first paragraph of his inaugural address.

It's to the point that the DOJ and FBI are going to great lengths to mask the identity of anyone involved in the investigations, changing their e-mail addresses, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iceresistance said:

The debt ceiling bill passed the House. 

2 people reacted with the "scream" reaction...no need for that!  Remember, this is for money that has already been spent, and the politicians throwing a fit about it now are the same people who went along with raising it 2-3 times during the Trump administration.

Gosh, I sure hope those politicians aren't trying to tank the economy to make the current administration look bad.  The party of accountability and personal responsibility would never do that.  Would they? 🤨

1 hour ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Yes there are....right now, time is the biggest enemy.  These things take a lot of it, and Trump knows it.  Once we get into Primary season, you have the whole issue of law enforcement not wanting to "interfere with an election."  Trump is already compiling a list of who all is involved, and should he win, they would be fired the second he took his and off the bible at this swearing in.  It would probably be in the first paragraph of his inaugural address.

It's to the point that the DOJ and FBI are going to great lengths to mask the identity of anyone involved in the investigations, changing their e-mail addresses, etc.

I am hoping the process might be a little faster than you seem to think it will be. There is, after all, already an ongoing investigation into the mishandling of classified information at Mar-a-Lago. This is merely new information pertaining to that existing case, not completely new information about unlawful behavior that nobody up to this point had any evidence of.

It's called clown range for a reason.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Nothing but hot air to appeal to the radicals right....or more accurately, McCarthy has taken the reigns on this because he gave up the goods on the debt ceiling (in the eyes of the radical right) so he's trying to pretend like he still has a spine.

My feeling is that it has a lot to do with the link I just posted.

Say what you will about the Republicans, one thing they consistently excel at is setting the narrative. Instead of trying to respond to the narrative set by the other party or by current events (which seems to be the Democrats’ specialty, sigh), the GOP does the politically savvy thing and counters with narrative-setting of their own.

It may not be the logically honest way to debate, but logically honest debate does not typically prevail in the political arena. (If it did, politics as we know it would be vastly different.)

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

7 hours ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

2 people reacted with the "scream" reaction...no need for that!  Remember, this is for money that has already been spent, and the politicians throwing a fit about it now are the same people who went along with raising it 2-3 times during the Trump administration.

Gosh, I sure hope those politicians aren't trying to tank the economy to make the current administration look bad.  The party of accountability and personal responsibility would never do that.  Would they? 🤨

I think some are thinking that the Bill has strings attached to it.

I think the reactions like that occurred because they didn't think this bill would ever pass.

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

On 5/30/2023 at 8:59 PM, Rubus Leucodermis said:

At its core, insurance is a simple business. Companies figure out how much they will likely have to pay out, and then set their rates to ensure they make a profit. Success is dependent upon the ability to accurately assess risk. There is a huge financial incentive to have the most clear-eyed possible understanding of reality. Wishful thinking or misguided ideology will do nothing except lose an insurance company money.

Because of this, insurance can tell you things about reality. It resembles global investment firms in this: The people running them may be greedy, and the clients may be evil, but the business is all about understanding the true and unvarnished state of the world in order to manage risk in order to protect wealth, and therefore these firms do their very best to operate according to what is true, whereas politicians, for example, often do their very best to lie. This is why every leftist and revolutionary should read the Wall Street Journal. There are far fewer lies when money is involved.

Continued: https://www.hamiltonnolan.com/p/insurance-politics-at-the-end-of

What crazy timing: https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/01/business/florida-homeowner-insurance-rates/index.html

Florida’s homeowner insurance rates are four times the national average. That’s not getting better anytime soon

New York
CNN
 — 
Hurricane season officially starts Thursday. But no matter how many storms hit Florida this year, the state’s residents are already struggling as they try to get homeowners’ insurance.

National insurers have very little presence in Florida. Big insurance companies dominate more than half the market in the rest of the country. But in Florida, State Farm has about 7% of the market, according to the Insurance Information Institute, an industry trade group. No other major insurer has as much as 2%.

10 hours ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

The reality is that it is an active, ongoing investigation, and the FBI knows that anything they hand over will be blasted to the public within seconds, which would then compromise the ongoing investigation.

MTG has already revealed sensitive information in a public setting at least ONCE that I can remember off the top of my head.

I saw in one article that the FBI offered to allow the documents to be viewed in person at the FBI headquarters.

If they were legitimately concerned about the investigation, wouldn't that be enough?  If they were afraid that the FBI would send over doctored/incomplete documents, the FBI could just as easily do the same at the in person review.

The reality is the right wants these documents so that they can parade them before their base.

And....what if there is really no substance to this topic of this investigation?  Then the Right would be able to scream "cover up" and the party of "law and order" and "back the blue" would have more ammunition for their "defund the FBI" campaign.

For the record, from my perspective, if Biden did it, I would fully expect him to be held accountable.  But, I would hope that would only be the beginning, because we all know (or you an idiot if you don't) that MOST of the clowns on BOTH sides of the aisle are lining their pockets.

I understand they’re trying to get McCarthy out of the Speaker chair.  
Even his own people are tired of dancing to his tune.  
Surely there’s someone more open minded and skilled.  

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Why can’t we have a president that isn’t 108yrs old or is not spray painted orange with the worse fake hair comb-over in the history of fake hair comb-overs…

IMG_5950.jpeg

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

On 5/31/2023 at 1:44 AM, roadtonowhere08 said:

We are seeing the results of a few major factors at play:

1. The supply chain havoc caused by COVID shutdowns.

2. The introduction of an astronomical amount of new currency in such a little time to assist in said COVID shutdowns.

3. Fuel price fluctuations caused by geopolitics and macroeconomics.

4. An artificial suppression of normal interest rates dating back to 2008 to add liquidity to the economy.  This creates a hot market and economy but will lead to overheated growth and eventual dilution of currency value (inflation).  Everyone likes a hot market but does not want to deal with the fallout that follows.  Classic kicking the can down the road.

The interest rate hikes are to cool off the economy and fight inflation.  We seem to be getting there.  If the FED can just take it's hand off the wheel now and let the economy sort itself out, then things will improve.  A 4-5% interest rate and 3-4% inflation target is just about ideal for yearly stability.

Whoever is/was president is/was irrelevant to these forces that are/were much more than their given power.  The president is given too much praise when things go well and too much blame when things go bad.  Much of the big stuff is out of their control.  As much as Trump likes to beat his chest, he can not do jack squat about any of the listed factors.

He can do jack squat about some other things. Like he said when he destroyed Kaitlan Collins at the CNN Town Hall.... "Drill baby drill", and we wouldn't have these endless wars and the border wall would probably be about finished by now. Even some democrats have complained about the strain on their resources from all of the immigrants pouring in at once. 

CNN is still kicking themselves for doing that town hall interview hoping to destroy Trump, and boosting their ratings which lasted only one night! 😂

21 hours ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

A tweet like this really fails to provide any context.

Just more red meat for the folks always seeing red.

Context is clearly the foreign bribery story.  As to red meat…all national representatives are subject to scrutiny, especially the top. It’s no secret the Biden’s are under investigation for their relationship with foreign nations when he was VP and not in office.  
The investigation is ongoing.   News will surface from time to time.

Wray is subject to scrutiny now as well.  When things don’t add up, they get attention.  It’s not complicated.   
Same with Trump.  They raided his home. To date no reported horror stories. I think every modern Pres has files. Biden kept some of his in his garage.  That was a snoozer too.  

21 hours ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Lordy, there are tapes:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/31/politics/trump-tape-classified-document-iran-milley/index.html

If this report is accurate (no real reason to doubt it) charges in all likelihood will be filed.

Another false narrative started by CNN! And who uses tapes these days? Lol

26 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

The debt ceiling Bill does have strings attached to it, one of the strings attached to it is restarting to the student loan payment program.

4 year liberal arts majors…y’all come!!!

So learned something pretty depressing from my wife on the cancer treatment front.  There is apparently a national shortage of chemotherapy drugs.  Just did a google search and the articles are out there, its just not making the headlines.  The result of this is that doctors are being put in a very difficult position of assessing the likelihood of a successful outcome through treatment in determining what treatment a patient gets (if anything).

Where this really sucks is I personally know a few people who were given a very pessimistic prognosis (i.e. only 6-12 months to live) only to go on and live 3-5 years more.  One person is still kicking 10-15 years later.  A very vivid reminder that doctors *PRACTICE* medicine....

If they had gotten that cancer today, they would probably get passed over.  It's understandable, I guess I would be pretty cheesed if I had a stage 1 early treatable cancer but could not get chemo and had it turn into something worse while  someone who has stage 4 pancreatic cancer is still trying to fight it...but it still sucks.

• Sad 2

13 hours ago, Andie said:

Context is clearly the foreign bribery story.  As to red meat…all national representatives are subject to scrutiny, especially the top. It’s no secret the Biden’s are under investigation for their relationship with foreign nations when he was VP and not in office.  

What bribery story???  The only people "investigating" are partisan politicians.   It's a complete joke and very much a fishing expedition.  Can't you see how obvious this is?

Apparently Giuliani found some Ukrainian in 2020 to say that Biden did some shady things.  The single source was so sketch that even Barr shot it down. 

But ya, totally newsworthy.🙄

14 hours ago, Stormy said:

Another false narrative started by CNN! And who uses tapes these days? Lol

Even his own lawyers are in on it!!!

Shortly after learning that former President Donald J. Trump had been recorded discussing what appeared to be classified material describing military options for confronting Iran, federal prosecutors issued a subpoena to his lawyers seeking the return of all records that resembled the document he mentioned, two people familiar with the matter said on Friday.

But Mr. Trump’s legal team has informed the Justice Department that it was unable to find any such records in his possession, the people said. It is unclear whether prosecutors have been able to track down the document themselves, leaving open the possibility that the material remains at large or that the famously blustery Mr. Trump incorrectly described it on the recording.

Nytimes Link

14 hours ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

What bribery story???  The only people "investigating" are partisan politicians.   It's a complete joke and very much a fishing expedition.  Can't you see how obvious this is?

Apparently Giuliani found some Ukrainian in 2020 to say that Biden did some shady things.  The single source was so sketch that even Barr shot it down. 

But ya, totally newsworthy.🙄

Just let it play out. If it’s bogus it’ll be dead before we know it.  
I don’t let bug me. It’s just another DC Drama. 

The House spokesperson said this morning documents would come forward tomorrow so we’ll see.  
I was half asleep and missed who it was.  It involved the Biden’s bribery investigation. 

Call me crazy but, My family is never getting an electric car (Hybrid is more likely though). My mother had an horrible experience with one.

No AC, Poor charging with poor mileage, tends to overheat, either the car or the station does not want to charge. My mother has two friends are having problems with electric cars and one of them is going to Norman with her. (First three problems I have described is what happened when she went from Dallas to Norman, And the last problem is what her other friend is experienced in Dallas.

In reliability, Electric cars are junk compared to gas cars.

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

My neighbor bought an Audi electric SUV.  Very handsome.  Probably problematic as they rarely drive it, thus insuring great mileage!   

My husband is Fleet manager for City of Ft Worth. Electric cars were such problems and people complained so the City said sell them all.  
Engineering just isn’t there yet.  

3 hours ago, Iceresistance said:

Call me crazy but, My family is never getting an electric car (Hybrid is more likely though). My mother had an horrible experience with one.

No AC, Poor charging with poor mileage, tends to overheat, either the car or the station does not want to charge. My mother has two friends are having problems with electric cars and one of them is going to Norman with her. (First three problems I have described is what happened when she went from Dallas to Norman, And the last problem is what her other friend is experienced in Dallas.

In reliability, Electric cars are junk compared to gas cars.

They also make annoying sounds when backing up

7 people now candidates for Presidential nomination. Let’s have an even dozen.  

Do they attack other Republicans or just talk about themselves? 

A lot of people are trying to derail Trump. Most people think it’s his to lose.  
One things certain, Biden’s out.  Who will be the Democratic nominee? 

34 minutes ago, Andie said:

7 people now candidates for Presidential nomination. Let’s have an even dozen.  

Do they attack other Republicans or just talk about themselves? 

A lot of people are trying to derail Trump. Most people think it’s his to lose.  
One things certain, Biden’s out.  Who will be the Democratic nominee? 

Biden?

I'm not sure what planet you live on, but all indications here point to Biden being the nominee.  I know the right is trying hard to split the party, but it ain't going to happen if it means risking the orange bigot being prez again.  The stakes are way too high to have a progressive-like candidate go against Biden in the primaries.

• lol 1

By tradition yes.  
But he won’t be re-elected.  
The country has plenty of issues that will take a stronger and more youthful hand.  Analysts left and right don’t see a second term.  
I don’t see a Progressive either. They’ll put him on the ballot.  He isn’t just old. He’s feeble and it shows in a time a stronger person should be head of state.  He can’t aggressively campaign and the opposition is hungry and angry.  

11 minutes ago, Andie said:

By tradition yes.  
But he won’t be re-elected.  
The country has plenty of issues that will take a stronger and more youthful hand.  Analysts left and right don’t see a second term.  
I don’t see a Progressive either. They’ll put him on the ballot.  He isn’t just old. He’s feeble and it shows in a time a stronger person should be head of state.  He can’t aggressively campaign and the opposition is hungry and angry.  

You know who is not going to pull votes away from Biden in the primary? A slightly younger man/woman who is basically a carbon copy of Biden. 

It's the same reason desantis is going to have a helluva time to pull away votes from Trump.   Who needs 2 MAGA candidates that essentially believe in all the same stuff?

*If* the Dems had a charismatic Obama-like candidate in their back pocket who tested very well with independents, then I'd say there's a chance.  But they don't.  It's gonna be Biden.

His age is obviously a concern (as is trump's), but it's pretty far down on the list of concerns, at least for myself, who would be voting in a dem primary.