Current Obs and Synoptic Banter

Wxmidatlantic

Interestingly enough, the trees appear to be glazed over here this morning, so I wonder if that affects how they handle any wind this afternoon. Winds already gusting to around 25mph out of the south, and LWX says gusts could reach 60mph in some of the squalls (or even outside them in some places).

Advected from 14.5*F to 24.1*F in 1hr. One of the coldest “warm sectors” since the one in February 2015.

• Like 1

Just had a heavy gust here right out of the south. Blew a thick cloud of snow off the ground and high into the air.

Up to 31.1/15 ahead of the front/squall.

Squall dried up a bit before it got here, but still solid SN with my station registering a peak gust of 42mph.

Temp drop was legit too...33.8 to 22.5 in 40 minutes.

Woah, some big gusts developing out west. Seeing a number of stations on wunderground between 45-70mph as that huge mass of cold air advects in.

Should arrive here between 2-3pm, I think.

• Like 1

Looks like BWI reported a gust to 48mph, with a snow squall and blowing snow. Dulles reported blowing snow as well.

The wind front is moving into Leesburg now. Should arrive at Dulles by ~ 245pm +/- 15 minutes.

• Like 1

Decent gustage with that wind front here. Hit 48mph from the WNW once the sun came out and destabilized us a little bit. Stronger than during the snow squall.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMDBETHE62&cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash#history

Temp down to 16.9 and falling fast as the sun sets, dewpoint down to -2, still gusting to ~ 30-35mph. Chilly!

• Like 1

Low was 6.6*F here around 3AM. We decoupled briefly around then, but the NW winds blow very hard in my area, and they returned quickly around 430AM, bumping us back up to 7.7*F.

Dewpoint bottomed out at -13.2*F. Wind chill -17*F.

• Like 1

Looking back at my records, the dewpoint of -13.2*F this morning was the lowest I’ve recorded since the -17.8*F reading back in February 2015 (when we literally *advected* down to -1.4*F with almost no snowpack and 65mph gusts all night long..man that was such an amazing event).

Last January, our lowest dewpoint was -6.6*F. So this airmass was actually drier. But we were able to decouple longer last year, and drop to 2.8*F as a result. A bit too much wind this time to maximize cooling.

• Like 1

Strike that, l also apparently recorded a -20.8*F dewpoint with the reinforcing shot in February 2015. That was one of my favorite months of all time..endless high Arctic violence.

The Valentine’s Day squall that dropped 3-5” in 1 hour in some places (just 1” here) along with thunder/lightning followed by the Arctic front which produced frequent gusts between 60-70mph, and plunged temps from 30*F down to between 0 to -10*F over just 7hrs was something to behold. Also was the most incredible ground blizzard I can remember, even more insane than February 10th, 2010. Apparently even 1” of snow is enough to produce whiteout conditions.

Down to 12.7*F as of 10:50pm with calm winds. The airmass has moderated quite a bit, but we’re radiating very efficiently to make up for it.

What do you know, we have 1.1” on the ground with snow still falling at 330pm. Much more than I thought we’d see.

Brings my seasonal total to ~ 16”. Now we get to enjoy a two week thaw before winter returns.

• Like 1

cold air seems a bit stubborn to scour out, will it warm up today as planned? Telekenetics seem to point to the cold river flowing more to the west than the east for the forseeable future.  But all of that could change on whether the pacific ridge retrogrades or not and how the greenland block matures.  interesting times.

• Like 1

Low of 11.8*F this morning. Some high clouds around prevented us from reaching the single digits again.

• Like 1

Thank you guys for getting that high to shift to the west and help it pump another SE ridge. Nice to have a couple weeks of snow and cold to look forward too in Seattle

Haha, you’re welcome. BTW, can you please merge this thread with the main 2019 thread so we have one timeline?

That’s your cold/snow delivery fee..if you don’t do this you’ll get screwed at the last minute. ;)

Beautiful day! High of 70.5*F here.

Hard to believe it was 5*F with howling winds and blowing snow a week ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Bitter NE wind 10-15. Temp 31F. Modified Continental Polar air starting to funnel down.

2019022715_metars_bwi.gif

Lucky. Very different here..high temp of 38.3*F was just reached here 30mins ago, no wind at all. Dewpoint still 30*F.

We’re very sheltered from E/NE winds, here so advecting that cool/dry air in is tough when it’s coming from that direction.