Current Obs and Synoptic Banter

Wxmidatlantic

Cold north winds 10-15 mph setting the stage for wintry weather. Some observations. Temps approaching 65F southern Va. They are about to get backdoored.

Got to love March. High sun angles puts thermal dynamics in overdrive. The atmosphere heats from the bottom and cools from the top. Volatility, let's hope severe weather is below average this year.

250 -SCT here. Hope clouds arrive after sunset. A little radiational cooling can only help.

2019022816_metars_bwi.gif

IMG_0.jpg

A Navy Chief said, "Never change your forecast. That way you can only be wrong once."

Cold north winds 10-15 mph setting the stage for wintry weather. Some observations. Temps approaching 65F southern Va. They are about to get backdoored.

Got to love March. High sun angles puts thermal dynamics in overdrive. The atmosphere heats from the bottom and cools from the top. Volatility, let's hope severe weather is below average this year.

Boo. Hiss.

I love severe weather. Not just because it’s exciting, dynamic, and unpredictable, but also because I work in landscaping/arboriculture, and storm damage is my primary source of income during the summer months.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, finally getting some cool/dry advection in here after a long wait. Wind flipped N/NW this morning and dewpoints began crashing..down from 32 to 20. Temp is still in the mid-40s, but wet bulbs are declining.

Boo. Hiss.

I love severe weather. Not just because it’s exciting, dynamic, and unpredictable, but also because I work in landscaping/arboriculture, and storm damage is my primary source of income during the summer months.

You never had a realative sucked up. Such is life in the trialor park...

You have? Very sorry to hear, if so. Thankfully we rarely see large tornadoes like that here.

The vast majority of our severe weather consists of microburst activity, straight line winds, and the occasional damaging hail event.

Boo. Hiss.

I love severe weather. Not just because it’s exciting, dynamic, and unpredictable, but also because I work in landscaping/arboriculture, and storm damage is my primary source of income during the summer months.[/quote

You never had a realative sucked up. Such is life in the trialor park...

Had a tree ripped up right in front of my car, and stood under a funnel cloud. But no lost relatives....but it's early days still.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

I just want to say that after a low in the 20's....AGAIN..... tonight, we'll begin to warm up!

Saturday we'll be boppin' around in 74* and sunshine!

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Just saw a surprise snow shower move through in midtown Manhattan! It's cold AF outside...

Yeah, January temps with equinox sun angles. So it feels nicer in the Sun, but in the shade it’s like a throwback to the depths of winter.

Low of 19.8*F here this morning, and wind chills were around 0*F given the NW gusts to 34mph. High this afternoon was 30.6*F thanks to downsloping but we’re crashing back into the 20s again as insolation wanes as of 510pm.

79* today............."that is all!"

• Like 1

We'll see 61* today. Our front blew through yesterday. Overcast and calm.

We have a 50% or better chance of rain for the next 3 days.

That gives me just enough time today to finish up some spring yardwork.....yes, spring.its comin'.

Chilly weather isnt over as we will have lows in the upper 30's in that rain.

But get you yard tools sharpiened, it's almost spring.

• Like 1

We'll see 61* today. Our front blew through yesterday. Overcast and calm.

We have a 50% or better chance of rain for the next 3 days.

That gives me just enough time today to finish up some spring yardwork.....yes, spring.its comin'.

Chilly weather isnt over as we will have lows in the upper 30's in that rain.

But get you yard tools sharpiened, it's almost spring.

Near 60 in Baltimore Sunday. The sound of leaf blowers and trimmers in the afternoon. Near 50 at 10Z. Put the window up. The birds are starting to get noisy...

• Like 1

A Navy Chief said, "Never change your forecast. That way you can only be wrong once."

We only reched 61* today. Light breeze, bright clear skies. Gorgeous day.

Dewpoint 20 F.

I need to memorize these past few days and store them up for July and August.

• Like 1

Now 50mph. Bedroom window flexing real good.

Yet somehow Dulles and DCA are below 30mph. What the heck is going on? Must be this NW wind funnel microclimate I live in.

• Like 2

Yeah, you always get the good wind storms!

I gusted way higher than all of the airports, and almost all of the mesonets (save a few). Usually the difference isn’t that huge. Makes no sense.

Started at ~ 11:30PM, ended around 7AM.

2DZXkcd.jpg

89BZyS5.jpg

• Like 1

It seems certainly Spring.

71* yesterday.

65* today. Low tonight 43* but a return to warmth tomorrow and 75*.

There is rain in the forecast ahead. 66* Sat and 77* Sun. We'll see <.50 rain.>

Looking at possibly 2-3” of rain tonight and tomorrow with the coastal low/ULL passage. Potent forcing with this one.

Then gusty NW winds around 50mph appear likely starting Friday evening, lasting into the overnight hours.

Already approaching 2” of rain here, and this swath of downpours (with some bright banding) only seems to be intensifying as it trains overhead.

OYrcwL7.jpg

Winter storm warnings for over 5” of wet paste in the mountains. Nuking up there. I might be remembering incorrectly but I don’t think that was predicted either.

Just had a crazy weather experience here. Severe thunderstorm with 55-65mph gusts and heavy CTG lightning moves in. All is going to plan when all of a sudden the temperature tanks and a snow/graupel mix takes over and unloads on the landscape.

Absolutely unreal. A severe thunderstorm with snow.

Wind is unloading here behind the front. Watched my neighbors kayak blow off his deck, then tumblr across his yard and into our yard. :lol:

Just had a crazy weather experience here. Severe thunderstorm with 55-65mph gusts and heavy CTG lightning moves in. All is going to plan when all of a sudden the temperature tanks and a snow/graupel mix takes over and unloads on the landscape.

Absolutely unreal. A severe thunderstorm with snow.

That March for you expect crazy stuff to happen Hect just a week  ago we were enjoying 70s :lol:

• Like 1

Low of 26 yesterday morning, 30 this morning.

A perfect 64 this afternoon under southerly return flow.