February 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest - Part 1

Guest hawkstwelve

Anybody else find it annoying that you have to go to "full version" on your cell phone to upvote a post or reply to a post with a quote?  I'm too blind to see the print on full version while using my iPhone.  How bout' it Fred... can that be changed?

• Like 1

Seriously...if the ECMWF ensemble is right we're going to have to change our analogs to the big boys like 1884, 1887, and 1936.  These are the main ones that had very sustained cold.

1936 wasn't super snowy (except for northern areas), but it was incredibly cold. 

Coldest February on record for most stations, including an incredibly 30.5 average temp at Landsburg, and 28.8 at Bellingham. Landsburg hasn't had a January that cold since 1957.

A forum for the end of the world.

The CAA at PDX has been fun this afternoon.

From 38 DP 33 at 1pm to 32 DP 24 at 6pm, with NNW winds gusting to 20.

What do you think that band is going to do? Any chance of filling into PDX?

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Anybody else find it annoying that you have to go to "full version" on your cell phone to upvote a post or reply to a post with a quote?  I'm too blind to see the print on full version while using my iPhone.  How bout' it Fred... can that be changed?

:lol:

Me too.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

up vote this if you like snow

Filthy casual

Downvote this if you like snow

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

Remember the old days when the NWS would issue a sws talking about a long period of cold and snow for a couple weeks? That was back then with crap models and they still were right most of the time. With this pattern shown you would think they would say something. They must really have people breathing down there necks telling them to not say a word.

I memba!

Anybody else find it annoying that you have to go to "full version" on your cell phone to upvote a post or reply to a post with a quote? I'm too blind to see the print on full version while using my iPhone. How bout' it Fred... can that be changed?

I also wish that I could upload pics on mobile as well.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Arlington down to 18F as of 5:25. It'll be really interesting to see how cold they get. I think realistically they could get within a couple degrees of 0.

Absolutely. I believe the Euro spit out a low of 7 there, but I don't think it fully takes into account that area's radiational cooling capacity in these types of situations.

Seems like the band over Clark County is moving further northeast if anything. But a new band seems to be organizing to the SE of the metro area, over Clackamas county. 

I think the convergence is stronger with the northern band in Clark County, which will hopefully sag south eventually.

Pretty hard to say. Possible this one keeps rotating west and favors the south metro.

If we want to believe the HRRR (which I don't know why anyone would)

6PM (This seems to match current conditions)

hrrr_ref_frzn_nwus_1.png

8PM

hrrr_ref_frzn_nwus_3.png

hrrr_ref_frzn_nwus_4.png

hrrr_ref_frzn_nwus_5.png

After 10 PM the whole thing implodes except the stuff over the gorge. HRRR claims I'll get back into the action a little.

I don't think anyone mentioned it, but the 18z ICON was definitely onboard for a big Puget Sound snowstorm on Friday/Saturday. Looks like it would eventually bury Portland as well as the low slowly moves down the coast.

The snowfall maps didn't look too impressive, but they never really on the ICON 

If we want to believe the HRRR (which I don't know why anyone would)

6PM (This seems to match current conditions)

8PM

After 10 PM the whole thing implodes except the stuff over the gorge. HRRR claims I'll get back into the action a little.

Similar stuff on the NAM. Some hope still

nam3km_ref_frzn_nwus_1.png

nam3km_ref_frzn_nwus_4.png

nam3km_ref_frzn_nwus_5.png

• Like 2

The low passing to the north and then getting cool afterwards but never getting cold.  Can't wait to move out of the south valley.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

This band isn't going anywhere but is D**n difficult to track on radar. All mesoscale models show it dipping down around 8.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Watching the local news I get a kick out of the common comments about how the drop in temperature tonight will cause things to "ice up" and become slippery.  The high in Seattle today was 28F I think.

The local news people are an embarrassment to this area when it snows or gets cold.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Deformation band getting sheared apart it looks like.... Back edge very apparent on Pendleton radar now and it's moving north fast(WA/OR border atm). Bad for Pdx imo  :(

East part of the band looks healthier imo(moving towards Spokane). Hopefully it stays intact and tilts west and comes through as a reverse front.

Deformation band getting sheared apart it looks like.... Back edge very apparent on Pendleton radar now and it's moving north fast(WA/OR border atm). Bad for Pdx imo  :(

East part of the band looks healthier imo(moving towards Spokane). Hopefully it stays intact and tilts west and comes through as a reverse front.

Not sure if I'm on board with your analysis here.

• Like 4

Doesn’t look good on the Boise radar either.

Looks horrible, absolutely horrible on the Washington D.C radar.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife